Why Mason-Griffin left Oklahoma >>> Fox News/Houston

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/100419-why-mason-griffin-left-oklahoma-university

Why Mason-Griffin Left Oklahoma University

MARK BERMAN
Sports Director

HOUSTON - Former Oklahoma Sooners guard Tommy Mason-Griffin, in his first interview since leaving the OU basketball team to turn pro, wants Sooner Nation to know that he did not leave the university because he is unhappy with the program or its coaches. He simply made a business decision that he thought was best for him.

"I want to apologize if they felt I let them down by leaving early or leaving this soon I would say," said Mason-Griffin in an interview on Monday with FOX 26 Sports.

"This past season, I know we didn't have the best season, but I gave it my all. My teammates gave it their all even though the end of the season didn't come out like it was supposed to, but we played hard and we fought."

Mason-Griffin said his relationship with OU head coach Jeff Capel has never been better.

"It's kind of like a big brother-type relationship," Mason-Griffin said. "He texts me to see where my confidence is at. We text every now and then, kind of a friendship-type thing.

"We have a nice bond even though I left school early.

Even though Mason-Griffin is chasing his life-long dream by making himself available for the NBA Draft, he still said it was not an easy decision.

"I know my coaches weren't expecting me to leave this early," Mason-Griffin said. "So it was like leaving a family to help my family. When it came down to it I wanted to do whatever was best for me

"It was tough simply because I know next year there will be a whole lot of different opportunities (at OU), but I feel like I am ready this year. So I just want to prove that."

Mason-Griffin, who stands 5-feet 11-inches, is accustomed to having to prove himself.

"I've been going against critics my whole life," Mason-Griffin said. "Everybody said I was too little. At first I couldn't shoot good enough. I wasn't going to go D-1 because I was overweight. I've just been proving people wrong my whole life.

"I just look at it as motivation for every day when I work out."

Mason-Griffin, former star at Houston Madison High School, is working out twice daily as he gets ready for the NBA Draft.

"I've been a competitor all of my life," Mason-Griffin said. Never been one to be known as a loser. I've always been a winner. I love to prove people wrong when they doubt me.

Mason-Griffin is represented by Houston-based agent Major Adams, who said several NBA teams have already expressed interest in his client, but he did not name them.

8402_540.jpg

Boy this kid is lost if he thinks he will be playing in the NBA. I don't think he will be playing anywhere next year.

Ithink TMG will be a star in the NBA next year,......IF NBA stands for Nebraska Basketball Assocation.

you guys are harsh. if dj augustin can occupy a roster spot, then tmg definitely has a chance. i will be rooting for him, and he will get there one day. good luck tmg.

Major Adams is major sleeze. I suspect he may be the root of the problem.

He gave his all this year? Hmm if he did then he is one of the worst defensive players I have every seen.

Guys I really don't see the point of sitting here and bashing a former player. We do know that 1)recruits read this board, 2)recruits' parents read this board, and 3)current players read this board. The guy has moved on, we need to do so also.

Back