Will they ever get rid of the possession arrow?

thebigabd

Reaction score
It's possibly the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

Jump it up like they do in the NBA.

How is that fair? I don't want to see TMG jumping against Pittman of UT if he ties him up.

How is that fair? I don't want to see TMG jumping against Pittman of UT if he ties him up.

It's fair because both players who tied up the ball have a chance to win the tip. TMG will never get tied up by Pittman, lol.

How is it fair for the defensive player to make a great play, only to get screwed by happenstance?

TMG will never get tied up by Pittman, lol.
He might tie up Pittman, though.

How is it fair for the defensive player to make a great play, only to get screwed by happenstance?
Jumpballs just aren't part of the normal course of playing basketball, IMO. And, if you are going to have all these jumpballs, you should be able to select anyone on the floor to jump it up.

It's fair because both players who tied up the ball have a chance to win the tip. TMG will never get tied up by Pittman, lol.

No, both players don't have a chance. A guard is rarely going to win a tip against a big.

And maybe TMG won't get tied by Pittman, but Pittman might get tied up by TMG. That is what the majority of tie ups are, a guard vs a big. Only exceptions are lose balls on the floor.

Why fix/change something that isn't broken?

Why fix/change something that isn't broken?

Because its lame to see a great defensive play bail the offensive player out of a turnover. You would be better off just trapping and not tying him up if they have the luck arrow.

Its broken.

Because its lame to see a great defensive play bail the offensive player out of a turnover. You would be better off just trapping and not tying him up if they have the luck arrow.

Its broken.

What about loose balls that two players dive on and tie each other up? Who you going to give that to? I'm sure you'll say to jump it, but I don't think that is the answer. It isn't luck, it rotates. What is "lucky" about that? Luck would be if they flipped a coin.

The possession arrow is not that bad. It has its problems but the jump ball would most often be a big and a little jumping. Its not that big of a deal

Its broken.
Unless it's in the first half, right? And if you are assuming this will be the last tie-up.

It isn't luck, it rotates. What is "lucky" about that? Luck would be if they flipped a coin.
Exactly, it's not random.

What about loose balls that two players dive on and tie each other up?

Jump it.

It isn't luck, it rotates. What is "lucky" about that? Luck would be if they flipped a coin.

When there is 10 seconds left in the game and the defender has a guy trapped and ties him, only to learn that they had the luck arrow and get to run an inbounds play, is luck.

Wouldnt it be more fair if you take that same situation, and two guys had to jump it with 10 seconds left instead of just handing the ball to the guy who made the mistake?

no way i disagree. the jump ball in the NBA seems to be the perfect award for a bad call or lazy defense/ball handling.

if TMG goes into the post and makes an aggressive, smart play on the ball, while McPittman w/fries is being lazy with the ball, why does TMG get penalized?

sure the possession arrow could go UT's way, but later in the game you'll get the next call.

Man, abd, you are getting killed on this topic. I like the NBA rule also, but I am fine with the college rule. I wouldn't mind seeing the ball always go to the defense player though. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense but I would always reward the defensive player.

Last edited:
I think they should give the defensive team the ball or in a loose ball situation, give it to the team that did not have the most recent possession of the basketball.

Killed might have been to strong of a word, but no one is agreeing with him.
Haha, yea.

I will say the only frustrating part about the rule is his end of the game scenario. But I don't think changing it to the NBA rule makes the most sense over the course of the whole game.

Killed might have been to strong of a word, but no one is agreeing with him.

These are the same people who think its ok to stand under the net and take a charge while I guy is setting the ball in the rim. They must just not like NBA rules or something.

I will say the only frustrating part about the rule is his end of the game scenario. But I don't think changing it to the NBA rule makes the most sense over the course of the whole game.

The last few minutes of a tight game are the only times you really notice the rule at all, and because teams win and lose on this sometimes it becomes a big deal.

Here's something I never got, and pardon my ignorance if I look dumb. :eek:

OSU lost basically every opening tip last year, and at the first possession of the 2nd half the other team would get the ball to inbound some games. Does it have to do with possession arrow?

Shouldn't the loser of the tip get the ball to start the 2nd half? I know in the NBA it goes:

Winner - 1st/4th
Loser - 2nd/3rd

Here's something I never got, and pardon my ignorance if I look dumb. :eek:

OSU lost basically every opening tip last year, and at the first possession of the 2nd half the other team would get the ball to inbound some games. Does it have to do with possession arrow?

Shouldn't the loser of the tip get the ball to start the 2nd half? I know in the NBA it goes:

Winner - 1st/4th
Loser - 2nd/3rd

Yes if there was a jump ball in the half it would be osu's ball, therefore the other team would get the ball to start the half, and the next possession would go to osu.

Back