Will we make the NIT?

• Yes

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • We can only pray that we make the CBI

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters
I think so, the NIT fellows have to take account how many people will want to watch a team. Plus we have been decent at home. So that could work in our favor....or maybe I am just psychotic.

The NIT has been taken over by the NCAA now so factors such as fan following are null and void. I think it is a selection process just like the NCAA tournament uses.

****aki Mushrooms...now we really need a plan B.

At this point I don't see more than a win or two in conference.

If they continue to play this way they'll post a sub .500 record in league play. There's no way we can continue to play on defense the way we're playing and have a chance.

At this point I don't see more than a win or two in conference.

If OU only wins 2 games in the Big 12, I would expect a coaching change. You can't go 2-14 at OU and survive. That would probably be the worst season in OU basketball history.

I think not making the NCAA Tournament would be pretty bad this year, and that almost seems impossible right now. Sometimes you go to the NIT because of some bad breaks and close losses, but if OU doesnt make the NCAA Tournament this year it will be because they got blown out and couldnt beat anybody.

I mean, what kind of OU team loses to VCU, San Diego, Houston, Gonzaga, and UTEP by an average of about 15 points a game? Right now teams that can dribble a basketball are running OU out of the gym.

If OU only wins 2 games in the Big 12, I would expect a coaching change. You can't go 2-14 at OU and survive. That would probably be the worst season in OU basketball history.

I think not making the NCAA Tournament would be pretty bad this year, and that almost seems impossible right now. Sometimes you go to the NIT because of some bad breaks and close losses, but if OU doesnt make the NCAA Tournament this year it will be because they got blown out and couldnt beat anybody.

I mean, what kind of OU team loses to VCU, San Diego, Houston, Gonzaga, and UTEP by an average of about 15 points a game? Right now teams that can dribble a basketball are running OU out of the gym.

Come on guys, we could go 0-16 and they are not firing Jeff Capel. If we go 6-10 in conference, squeek out a game in the tournament, that would make us 16-15, which would probably get us in the NIT.

If we go 6-10 in conference, squeek out a game in the tournament, that would make us 16-15, which would probably get us in the NIT.

unless those six wins include ut x 2 and ku, that isn't even close to an nit resume.

Better be prepared to witness history because this team will not and I repeat will not win a game in conference. There is no leadership, no heart, and no chemistry on this team(if you want to call it that at this point). I have been absolutely shocked at what I have seen this year.

Capel isn't going anywhere no matter what record he ended up with. Only way he goes is if he breaks rules.

I think a better question is will Capel be the coach next year. If he does not make the post season, I hope not.

Any talk of Capel being fired is just flat stupid. If you can't see the good that he has done since he got here, you have very limited knowledge of college basketball. Sure, this is a bad year and the things going on are not good. But, are you ready to forget all of the talk a few short months ago about Jeff being in line to take over at Duke when Coach K retires? Do you think he has forgotten how to be an effective coach in the last few weeks? Are you throwing out his recruiting ability? Can you not remember how good we were last year? Holy cow, people, use your heads!!!

This season hasn't started off well and it may get worse for all I know. But, Jeff will right this ship and we will be right back on the winning track whether you think so or not.

Any talk of Capel being fired is just flat stupid. If you can't see the good that he has done since he got here, you have very limited knowledge of college basketball. Sure, this is a bad year and the things going on are not good. But, are you ready to forget all of the talk a few short months ago about Jeff being in line to take over at Duke when Coach K retires? Do you think he has forgotten how to be an effective coach in the last few weeks? Are you throwing out his recruiting ability? Can you not remember how good we were last year? Holy cow, people, use your heads!!!

This season hasn't started off well and it may get worse for all I know. But, Jeff will right this ship and we will be right back on the winning track whether you think so or not.

When was he a good coach? What season?

He had the first conference losing record at OU in 13 years his first season. He is going to have the second in his third. The prior two coaches did not have losing records in conference play (Tubbs did his first season and I think his last). OU will be fortunate to finish 8th in the conference right now.

Capel's second season was not very good. He had Longar and Blake. Almost anyone could have gone 9-7 in conference play with a front line of Longar, Blake and Taylor.

Capel has done a good job in one season and he had the best player in all of college basketball. Show me the game last season that the coach won with his ability as a coach? Sampson constantly won games from the bench. In 4 years I have not seen Capel do it once.

Clearly Capel can recruit but if he can't win it is irrelevant. What happens to recruiting if 5,000 start going to games and OU is not making the post season? You think OU will land great players? Capel must go 8-8 in conference play to have my support and I don't see it happening.

Show me 8 teams in the Big XII with more talent than OU. I think you would be hard pressed to identify 3.

But, are you ready to forget all of the talk a few short months ago about Jeff being in line to take over at Duke when Coach K retires? Do you think he has forgotten how to be an effective coach in the last few weeks?

All that talk came from this board, and nowhere else.

Duke would/could hire much better than Jeff Capel right now.

When was he a good coach? What season?

He had the first conference losing record at OU in 13 years his first season. He is going to have the second in his third. The prior two coaches did not have losing records in conference play (Tubbs did his first season and I think his last). OU will be fortunate to finish 8th in the conference right now.

Capel's second season was not very good. He had Longar and Blake. Almost anyone could have gone 9-7 in conference play with a front line of Longar, Blake and Taylor.

Capel has done a good job in one season and he had the best player in all of college basketball. Show me the game last season that the coach won with his ability as a coach? Sampson constantly won games from the bench. In 4 years I have not seen Capel do it once.

Clearly Capel can recruit but if he can't win it is irrelevant. What happens to recruiting if 5,000 start going to games and OU is not making the post season? You think OU will land great players? Capel must go 8-8 in conference play to have my support and I don't see it happening.

Show me 8 teams in the Big XII with more talent than OU. I think you would be hard pressed to identify 3.
I'm not even going to respond because you are just trying to start a debate of Sampson vs Capel and it serves absolutely no purpose in going there. And, I would say the same thing if Jeff would have won 2 national championships already.

I'm not worried about this team not winning a Big 12 game. That is ridiculous. At worse, I see us winning 5-6 games, and most likely, we'll finish with 6-8 wins.

That said, Capel needs to take a long look in the mirror if this team doesn't even make the NIT.

The Big 12 is really strong this year. Teams like UTEP and Houston are basically about where Baylor and Tech are right now. I'm not even sure how we stop OSU from scoring 100 because our transition defense sucks. The only teams in the Big 12 I'm confident we can beat are Colorado, Iowa State, and maybe Texas A&M. Outside of those games we could lose every other game.

Come on guys, we could go 0-16 and they are not firing Jeff Capel. If we go 6-10 in conference, squeek out a game in the tournament, that would make us 16-15, which would probably get us in the NIT.

How could they not make a coaching move if the coach went 0-16 in Big 12? Now, obviously the chances of going 0-16 are slim to none but if that actually happened at OU a coaching change would come.

I may have to stop coming to this board. You guys drive me nuts. I would bet $10000 that Capel will not be fired. You guys are as bad as going to Owen Field after a loss.

Back