Willie Warren has rendered me speechless

Coaches want to know what they are going to get from individual players and their team in terms of effort in every game. That kind of thing develops over time. This team, except for Tony and Cade, isn't anywhere near that point in their development.

At VCU & in Alaska, they were horrible - especially on defense. They have obviously improved somewhat on defense and have put together a winning streak. They showed some toughness in winning at Utah, came home for finals week, and laid an egg.

Anyone who listened to the post game interview with Coach Capel knows that he will have their attention over the next 48 hours. I suspect they will play much better on Monday and that they will have an intense week of practice next week.

To achieve the level of success they want for this year, they are going to have to improve their focus and concentration. They can't expect Cade or Tony to bail them in every game they have a chance to win.

And sheepdog I think you've lost touch with reality bud. No he didn't play that great, but neither did the team. By the way when is the last time you posted something positive about Willie. Willie Warren is a talented sophomore player that is growing up as a young man and learning how to be a leader. When you accept this then you will understand what the ________ is going on. Dude please get a grip. It doesn't matter what you think or I think. The coaches know whats going on with Willie. If some of the crap you have posted were true the kid we be off the team. Keep posting your non-sense. I'll just keep rooting for the SOONERS and be happy that he is on our team. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Please don't call me a WW Hater. No one has been a bigger fan of his since he was in Texas High School, but something is wrong. I sincerely hope this is not what is happening, but I'm interested in seeing what he does Monday in front of a national audience (ESPN). To me, the only intense game he has had was when the team was on ESPN. I don't want to think he is that selfish but............

WW shouldn't even be starting. This kid doesn't hustle every play. He stands around and watches and takes every other play off. He flat out refused to play defense today, and he's NBA ready? What a joke.

I am not ripping WW, I am simply speaking the truth. WW has an attitude problem or an injury. I dunno what to think about this kid anymore. I can only support WW if he wants to help himself. Today, he played lazy.

Yes, I'm very disappointed.

Please don't call me a WW Hater. No one has been a bigger fan of his since he was in Texas High School, but something is wrong. I sincerely hope this is not what is happening, but I'm interested in seeing what he does Monday in front of a national audience (ESPN). To me, the only intense game he has had was when the team was on ESPN. I don't want to think he is that selfish but............

Calling anyone a "WW hater," is childish and immature. We all have opinions and thoughts we like to share. We love Sooner basketball and expect more effort from everyone on the team. WW happened to STAND out today. You figure it out. :)

And sheepdog I think you've lost touch with reality bud. No he didn't play that great, but neither did the team. By the way when is the last time you posted something positive about Willie. Willie Warren is a talented sophomore player that is growing up as a young man and learning how to be a leader. When you accept this then you will understand what the ________ is going on. Dude please get a grip. It doesn't matter what you think or I think. The coaches know whats going on with Willie. If some of the crap you have posted were true the kid we be off the team. Keep posting your non-sense. I'll just keep rooting for the SOONERS and be happy that he is on our team. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

What player on the team is not learning and trying to be a leader?
"If some of the crap you have posted were true the kid we be off the team" What does this mean? Do you have any examples to back this up which differs then what other posters have mentioned? So far this season Willie is shooting 43.7% from the field when most of his shots are either lay ups or within five feet from the bucket, true or not true. He is shooting 25% from three point range, true or not true. His assist to turnover ratio is close to one, yes one, true or not true. You are certainly correct in that neither of our opinions matter much, but what about the remaining inhabitants in this world? Lastly, it is rather obvious that you enjoy making posts which makes people scratch their heads and then some just to draw a reactionary response from them, and I'm out of touch with reality!

Last edited:
I love Willie but today is hard to explain. I kept thinking he was going to start blowing by his defender in the second half and take the game over but it never happened. A lack of effort on the defensive end really has me scratching my head.

I love Willie but today is hard to explain. I kept thinking he was going to start blowing by his defender in the second half and take the game over but it never happened. A lack of effort on the defensive end really has me scratching my head.

My friend, it is very hard to put a finger on. The lack of effort is so disappointing to me. Good to see ya, Norm.

d

WW is an elite basketball player. He just carried us on his back last game. He will do it again. To say he shouldn't be starting is ... well ... tea party ignorant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love willie, but i think all that preseason player of the year hype is biting him in the ass.

Willie needs to pick it up, plain and simple. Our most talented player shouldn't be deferring in a game against Northern Colorado...he should be stepping up and putting down an inferior opponent from the get go.

Where is the killer instinct? Where is his swagger?

As of right now, you could say Willie is the type of player who only is a competitor when things are going good. This may not be the case, but he has shown nothing this year to prove that statement otherwise. Just really disappointed in his play so far.

If I am Capel, I just tell him to go out and have fun, play loose, don't worry about the turnovers or missed shots and just play your game. While it is great that Crock and Cade are stepping up big time (major props to them, good to see the appropriate recognition being delivered), if this team is going to make the field of 65, Willie has to have a positive impact on every game statistically...otherwise this team is doomed in conference play. OU cannot finish 7th or 8th in conference, our "preseason" slate will be magnified by finishing behind the Tech's, A&M's, etc.

All I ask is that Willie Warren run back on defense. JUST ONCE.

I hadn't realized that Pledger's slump was quite as bad as they said. I was glad to see him break out of it a little bit.

TMG was pretty solid today. Tiny's good when he's in the game. He just has to spend too much time on the bench with foul troubles.

We would play good team D for a few minutes, then we would be completely out of synch for 3 or 4 minutes.

WW is certainly a mystery. Way too up and down.

I have a question...When a guy is arguably yor MVP in the great alasken shoot out (Pledger)...Is talked about what a solid defender he is...Only to get back to Norman...and go from 38 minutes, to 25, to 10...Do you think that would affect his shooting...? I dont believe is in a slump, he is suffering from lack of time itis...let him play, get his rythem, then watch out

Crocker played well until the end when he about gave away the game. This game is over until he shoots the ball at 1:30 left with 30 seconds left on the shot clock. Then he misses the front end of a 1 and 1, then he throws the ball away on the inbounds.

WW was the focus of their defense and didn't force things. He did nothing to hurt us. Now if he forces 20 scores and scores 4 points it's a problem. But he didn't.

As usual when the WW haters come out of the woodwork you can expect a couple monster games from him coming right up.

Wake up and smell the coffee for cripes sakes

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't see myself as a "WW defender", i just want him to get better, and stop messing around, I am a defender of reason though

without WW, we probably wouldn't make any tournament this year

I have a question...When a guy is arguably yor MVP in the great alasken shoot out (Pledger)...Is talked about what a solid defender he is...Only to get back to Norman...and go from 38 minutes, to 25, to 10...Do you think that would affect his shooting...? I dont believe is in a slump, he is suffering from lack of time itis...let him play, get his rythem, then watch out

He's still a freshman. Lots of things to learn and master. I have confidence in him.

Back