Would you take Rotnei Clarke?

Would you take Clarke or not?

• Total voters
He will help a lot more than he would hurt, especially with LON being the coach.

No. Is he a one and done type of talent? Because that's what his scholarship will amount to.

I don't know anything about his ego or locker room issues...in all frankness, I don't care to follow other teams. But what I do know is that Arkansas was not "all that" with him as a starter on the team. I say give scholarships to the guys who want to be at OU for at least a couple of years or guys who are without a doubt one and done talents that can positively impact the team.

Now if he's willing to come to OU without a scholarship (he is still a resident, right?) then I say bring him on!

Now if he's willing to come to OU without a scholarship (he is still a resident, right?) then I say bring him on!

That would be good because we need that scholarship for a kid in the next class that will be a sophomore in 2013/14. That is the season after we lose 6 seniors plus Rotnei. Having 6 or 7 returning would be great, it seems to workout poorly when the team relies on multiple true freshmen for major minutes.

Weird time to visit, the only coach likely to be on campus is Mike Sheppard the Director of Basketball Operations. Its right in the middle of the July evaluation period so I would imagine they would have to pull somebody off the road to help host Rotnei.

According to the tulsa world, coach kruger will be meeting with him on monday to host him.

Right. I am surprised this is a debate.

I think it all comes down to the fact that the last 2 years have made OU basketball fans VERY gunshy when it comes to players with bad attitudes... Mainly because it became painfully obvious the coaching staff didn't know how to handle those types of players.

The fact is Lon Kruger is a coach that the fans will realize pretty quickly is a guy that we can trust on all levels... Even on this one... if Coach K wants Rotnei here and has the faith that he can be good for OU basketball, then it's good with me.

i think it all comes down to the fact that the last 2 years have made ou basketball fans very gunshy when it comes to players with bad attitudes... Mainly because it became painfully obvious the coaching staff didn't know how to handle those types of players.

The fact is lon kruger is a coach that the fans will realize pretty quickly is a guy that we can trust on all levels... Even on this one... If coach k wants rotnei here and has the faith that he can be good for ou basketball, then it's good with me.

exactly

I think it all comes down to the fact that the last 2 years have made OU basketball fans VERY gunshy when it comes to players with bad attitudes... Mainly because it became painfully obvious the coaching staff didn't know how to handle those types of players.

The fact is Lon Kruger is a coach that the fans will realize pretty quickly is a guy that we can trust on all levels... Even on this one... if Coach K wants Rotnei here and has the faith that he can be good for OU basketball, then it's good with me.

I agree. My other fear is related to scholarships and class distribution. Let's say the NCAA comes out in August and says that we lose 2 schollies (1 in '11 and 1 in '12). Couple that with Rotnei taking up a spot for '11 and '12. That leaves only one schollie available for 2012. There wouldn't be a lot of class balance on the roster and Kruger would have to bring in a lot of juco guys in 2013 to fill out the roster. The benefit, of course, is that we could have a team with a lot of juniors and seniors in 2012 and make a run at the conference title.

I agree. It is worth noting that Kruger has a history of getting the most out of transfers. Handling and motivating players like Rotnei is a strength of his if history is any indication. It could be really good for OU and Clarke if he ends up in crimson and cream.

We do not want him!! There are some off the court issues that he has had at Arkansas and over involved individuals in his corner. He is a 1 year guy that take the ship of a player that would be here for 3-4 years. Just say no!

I posted this in the other Rotnei Clark thread.

Generally, transfers don't have attitude problems because they know they are on their last chance. This would seem to be especially true for a player with only one year of eligibility left.

As far as the scholarship numbers, etc, I have no idea. If Coach Kruger thinks he would be an asset, I would have no problem with him being a Sooner.

This is one of those cases where he could walk on at minimal cost. I see it like when John Lucas III transferred from Baylor to OSU and paid his own way.

That's the only way it makes sense. He'll be more welcomed because his teammates will appreciate the sacrifice of him freeing a scholarship.

Back