WW&TMG-Double Standard

I have come to the realization that this season is going to be filled with "great performances" from individuals and not many wins. Its the classic sign of a bad team. Every game we are going to have someone score 25, but OU is losing. They aren't a good team right now.

As for the double-standard... I think its different when you have a 50% 3pt shooter and the future of your program (and I think TMG is the future of the program) taking a lot of shots and learning how to play as opposed to Willie (a 25% 3pt shooter) taking a bunch of shots and playing selfish basketball because he is gone after this year. I point out the 3pt percentages because if they are going to take a lot of shots from perimeter I think its better if TMG is that guy, and not Willie.

Also, TMG didn't cost OU the game last night... When Willie has 7 or 8 turnovers, goes 0-5, 0-6, etc from the 3pt line, doesnt get back on defense, etc people get after him, and they should.

Willie isn't the future of the program, he is an outstanding talent but he will not leave much of a legacy at OU (unless he puts the team on his back and carries them on improbable run here at the end of the year). His first year will be overshadowed because of Blake Griffin, and his second year will be overshadowed by a bad team. It sucks for Willie, but that is his legacy.

Last edited:
WW vs. TMG. Kinda why the season has gone like it has. It should be WW & TMG.

WW vs. TMG. Kinda why the season has gone like it has. It should be WW & TMG.

I have seen no evidence that TMG and WW are not on the same team. They work together on the court. It was a fan that brought this up....

I can't believe that I am reading someone questioning the game TMG had last night! It simply amazes me! Shooting has never been something that has been questioned about WW, its his lack of effort on defense and especially after he misses a shot his body language is horrible and he jogs back and rarely makes even an attempt on defense! Now the last few games WW has brought it and has been recognized for it but before that it was his lack of effort on defense that has been questioned.

I have seen no evidence that TMG and WW are not on the same team. They work together on the court. It was a fan that brought this up....

No, they're teammates and probably good friends. They have struggled on the court together at times. But it's tiring reading the message boards and seeing each fan pit players vs. another player on the same team. If it's not wanting Ryan Wright benched, Willie Warren gone, or Cade to transfer, it gets tiring. As a team you should be like brothers. Now i doubt they read this message board, but their is an element that surrounds these guys telling them that they should be the "man" or they should be getting the ball more. We as fans shouldn't subscribe to that.

That is what I was saying sky. If Willie shoots 43% every game a word would not be said about his shooting. He shoots 28% from 3.

There's no double standard. There is a different standard for Freshmen and Sophomores.

TMG is a true freshman, doesn't pout or act like a spoiled 8 year old on the basketball floor after something doesn't go his way, plays hard on both ends, and doesn't take 27 footers with 30 seconds on the shot clock at the end of a game up by 2 points.

That being said, I root like hell for WW and desperately want him to succeed and become a leader for this young team. However, it doesn't appear that he has been able to do so (obviously I am not at practice or in the locker room so I don't know all the facts, just making this statement from what I observe during games). Also, his demeanor can be terrible on a regular basis which is really frustrating. I can also say I have been extremely disappointed in his lack of effort defensively. I wish the best for him in the future but think his draft stock has dramatically dropped based on his play and attitude during games.

Can you point out those times in the TT game? Maybe I missed them.

Well since you so astutely pointed out that he only had 1 assist, then you and I both know that he didn't have the 2-3 easy buckets happen during this past game. That has not been the norm this year.

I will give you two times off the top of my head that it should have happened.

1. TMG drove the land drew in the defense and dished it to Steven Pledger on the baseline. Steven missed an uncontested layup.

2. TMG drove to the middle of the lane and put a perfect bounce pass into Tiny who fumbled the ball and missed the chance for an easy dunk.

He also had multiple nice dishes to Crocker who missed the shots but was fouled on those plays.

It was just not a good day for the Sooner offense as a whole.

Back