Year in review - thoughts?

Of course NBA scouts will find talent, but it's easier to display your talent if you are playing 30 minutes per night in a system that you feel best suits you. Is that really difficult to understand?

On the other hand, if you're talented enough to be in the NBA you shouldn't have a problem getting on the court at any school except maybe Kentucky, Duke and Kansas.

On the other hand, if you're talented enough to be in the NBA you shouldn't have a problem getting on the court at any school except maybe Kentucky, Duke and Kansas.

Yet it happens everywhere, every season. The likely national player of the year was disgruntled at West Virginia and ended up at UK. Not every place is a fit for every person. Adults leave jobs when they see a better opportunity. It doesn’t always work out, but it happens. College basketball players aren’t all that different than other people.

Well-coached, really? That's hard to justify with all the boneheaded plays, turnovers, and bad execution. Those relate directly to coaching.

Well, let’s say we eliminate some of those things.. OU would probably have 3-4 more wins and likely a 3 or 4 seed in the Big Dance, which would be ridiculous for this team.

“Mistakes” are also a result of talent. People forget that. Cortes made a lot of mistakes for example— some of them looked really bad. But I don’t think it was because he was poorly coached. I think it was because he was outmatched. Same for some other guys and instances throughout the season.

Moser was just carrying on tradition. We've essentially been the same team every year since Buddy left -- great non-conference followed by a brutal nosedive in conference play. If you're giving Moser a bad grade, then it's absurd to have been giving Lon a pass.

This was a genuinely untalented team this year, and there wasn't a ton that Moser could have done. I know that was the thought with Lon's last teams, but given that almost all of them are starting for the Lakers or All-ACC, that clearly wasn't the case.

If his teams continue to perform like this for the next two years, then I will understand poor grades, but I genuinely think the two most talented Sooners were playing high school basketball this year.

It will be interesting to see how the portal shakes out this year. I still think we need 2-3 starters to safely be a 20 win team.

Moser was just carrying on tradition. We've essentially been the same team every year since Buddy left -- great non-conference followed by a brutal nosedive in conference play. If you're giving Moser a bad grade, then it's absurd to have been giving Lon a pass.

This was a genuinely untalented team this year, and there wasn't a ton that Moser could have done. I know that was the thought with Lon's last teams, but given that almost all of them are starting for the Lakers or All-ACC, that clearly wasn't the case.

If his teams continue to perform like this for the next two years, then I will understand poor grades, but I genuinely think the two most talented Sooners were playing high school basketball this year.

It will be interesting to see how the portal shakes out this year. I still think we need 2-3 starters to safely be a 20 win team.

Talent was bad, but I worry about many of Moser's late-game decisions. That oop to Jalen Hill against St. Bonaventure was a called play. Horrible play call ... High School JV play call.

Talent was bad, but I worry about many of Moser's late-game decisions. That oop to Jalen Hill against St. Bonaventure was a called play. Horrible play call ... High School JV play call.

That is a normal inbounds play. But like all plays. The player doesn’t blindly throw the ball.

Coach got handed a tuff situation, grasped Goldwire and Groves in desperation. Didn’t turn out great with any of them. Back to the portal to get a big or two and send two bigs down the road. Put the rest on Schmitty’s weight program.

That is a normal inbounds play. But like all plays. The player doesn’t blindly throw the ball.

I agree with the second half of that, but it was a terrible play call. I will die on that hill. It's a normal out of bounds play, but it's a crucial moment of the game. You have to know that St. Bonaventure scouted the heck out of you ... Defense is keyed in on the oop / secondary action toward the hoop.

We didn't beat them inside all night unless we spread it out and drove it. That was the play ...

But the bottom line is that we win that game if Chagrois doesn't have foul trouble. We were probably +20 with him on the floor. Or if we could make a single mid-range jumpshot.

Coach got handed a tuff situation, grasped Goldwire and Groves in desperation. Didn’t turn out great with any of them. Back to the portal to get a big or two and send two bigs down the road. Put the rest on Schmitty’s weight program.

No tougher than any new coach, and a better situation than most because he was inheriting a program with lots of recent and long-term success. And I don't think the basketball players will be training with him any time soon. :)

i mean OU was 7th in the country in 2point FG percentage .. https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/two-point-pct

a lot of that is coaching ..

veteran players making terrible passes and not enough depth to bench them is a 1st year coach problem ..

This was my biggest issue all year....too much poor decision-making (i.e. "thread the needle" pass attempts, driving/dribbling out of control without a plan and then passing at players' feet, etc.). Whether that comes to down to coaching or execution can be argued either way. Same can be said for our late game shortcomings....is that coaching or dumb plays by veteran players who should know better. If you are still playing "stupid ball" too often in your 3rd or 4th year, should there be any expectation of you changing/improving?

I really like Moser and with the appropriate talent level, he can make OU a consistent high-level winner. The million dollar question is whether or not he will be able to get the talent he needs.

We were told goldwire was a veteran PG who was mature, made good decisions, didn’t turn the ball over. He was none of those things. He was a good defender and had a few good games but he made way too many bad decisions and turned the ball over way too much.

I thought groves would be better. I knew he wouldn’t be what he was against KU in that one game, but I thought he’d be a better scorer and a much more consistent player. If his 3 point shot is struggling, he’s not very good at all and a complete liability on defense.

Mo developed into a great player. I hope he returns but I’d bet against that.

The rest are roll players. We need an infusion of talent and athleticism.

I agree with the second half of that, but it was a terrible play call. I will die on that hill. It's a normal out of bounds play, but it's a crucial moment of the game. You have to know that St. Bonaventure scouted the heck out of you ... Defense is keyed in on the oop / secondary action toward the hoop.

We didn't beat them inside all night unless we spread it out and drove it. That was the play ...

But the bottom line is that we win that game if Chagrois doesn't have foul trouble. We were probably +20 with him on the floor. Or if we could make a single mid-range jumpshot.

tanner groves was wide open on that play for a layup

Yup… thought same thing…

tanner groves was wide open on that play for a layup

Thought so as well…. But replay showed the screened guy stayed on Tanner… maybe if they waited another second but initially tanner wasn’t open

Yeah, there's no doubt that Moser didn't earn an A. But this also wasn't a C.

I didn't have the expectations some on here did. The talent level we lost was too much and we didn't really get athletic ability to replace that from what I saw. I was kinda hoping we would maybe have some guys step up to show that but that never happened. I have zero doubt if we have Williams and Harmon back at least we would be a tournament team and probably in the top 4 of the conference. But fact is we didn't have that and what we had on the court pretty much met may expectations for the most part I wish some of the freshmen could have contributed more and some guys that did play well like Johnson and Noland late in the year needed to show something throughout the year. But we obviously are a long ways in talent from really beating anyone any good right now. Moser did about as good as you can with the plate he had served. So this is pretty much an average year. We will forever see it as a team that was a few plays away from maybe thinking it was really good but in reality it was just probably the least talented OU team we've seen in a long time.

Harmon's season stats were basically the same as Goldwire's -- one more point per game, one fewer assist. I don't think he'd have made much difference.

So getting the team to bond doesn't reflect on coaching? Hmmmm...

The fact that last year's team didn't bond isn't on Moser. That's the group I was referring to. I don't think that was one of Lon's strengths. The king of getting his team to bond is Kelvin.

Excited about Moser and what he did. Gibson turned into one of the best players in the conference. He shouldn't come back, hope he does though.

Most important keys this offseason.
Jalen Hill develop a shot/more aggressive on the offensive end. Play the 3! lol
Groves brothers get 10pct better each.
Land a legit transfer big.
Land a transfer wing player.

Back