Year in review - thoughts?

Harmon's season stats were basically the same as Goldwire's -- one more point per game, one fewer assist. I don't think he'd have made much difference.

That's not really fair... I could name lots of guys who 10 points and 4 rebounds per game who are way better than Goldwire. That's not a good way to compare players.

That's not really fair... I could name lots of guys who 10 points and 4 rebounds per game who are way better than Goldwire. That's not a good way to compare players.

Valid point that stats don’t tell the whole story, but Harmon was not good this year at all. And he played for a team that wasn’t as good as OU. He certainly had an opportunity to show that he could lift a team and be a feature player, and he didn’t come through at all. I don’t think it’s a given he would have done that had he stayed.

Excited about Moser and what he did. Gibson turned into one of the best players in the conference. He shouldn't come back, hope he does though.

Most important keys this offseason.
Jalen Hill develop a shot/more aggressive on the offensive end. Play the 3! lol
Groves brothers get 10pct better each.
Land a legit transfer big.
Land a transfer wing player.

Curious where you think Mo should go. I guess he could make money overseas but his size will hurt him. No one would have called him one of the best players in the conference till the last five games. He scored in single digits in four of the six games leading into that final stretch. I hope this stretch is the start of a more consistent guy, and would love to have him back. But I’ll understand whatever decision he makes.

Harmon's season stats were basically the same as Goldwire's -- one more point per game, one fewer assist. I don't think he'd have made much difference.

Different roles for different teams. Remember here he basically took AR's role when AR got hurt. I think he would be more a SG here instead of PG. We probably put Gibson as the 6th man. But also no doubt that Harmon was a bit of a disappointment in Oregon this year. Still would take his scoring ability over anyone on the roster right now.

I hope to see us get wings that can score and at least one big man that can be a defensive force inside.

Different roles for different teams. Remember here he basically took AR's role when AR got hurt. I think he would be more a SG here instead of PG. We probably put Gibson as the 6th man. But also no doubt that Harmon was a bit of a disappointment in Oregon this year. Still would take his scoring ability over anyone on the roster right now.

Out of all the guys that transferred I felt that Harmon's was the worst decision. I think he would have had a much better year at Oklahoma and would have been the leading scorer on a tournament team. I think he definitely helps OU make the tourney. He was a solid guard. But, overall, I think it hurt Harmon more than Oklahoma. I read he had NBA dreams, and he's further away from them now than when he was at OU a year ago.

Curious where you think Mo should go. I guess he could make money overseas but his size will hurt him. No one would have called him one of the best players in the conference till the last five games. He scored in single digits in four of the six games leading into that final stretch. I hope this stretch is the start of a more consistent guy, and would love to have him back. But I’ll understand whatever decision he makes.

I know he didn't have the best stats all year, but he was dominant late and at times throughout the season. I think everyone in the conference knew he was the guy you had to stop. OU had chances to upset teams when Gibson or Harkless went off.
He's a 6ft skinny dude..Why come back to college for a 5th or 6th year. He's not making much of a living playing for OU anymore. Bet he can do pretty well overseas. He is a very elite shooter.. go make money

I really like Moser and with the appropriate talent level, he can make OU a consistent high-level winner. The million dollar question is whether or not he will be able to get the talent he needs.

That is my thought, as well.

There are two other first-year coaches in the Big 12 that also had to totally restock their rosters. They are both in the Sweet 16.

Hopefully, Porter can get the talent he needs.

There are two other first-year coaches in the Big 12 that also had to totally restock their rosters. They are both in the Sweet 16.

Understand your point but if I remember both isu and tt had more coming back than not…no? I just remember seeing some of their guys last year

I know he didn't have the best stats all year, but he was dominant late and at times throughout the season. I think everyone in the conference knew he was the guy you had to stop. OU had chances to upset teams when Gibson or Harkless went off.
He's a 6ft skinny dude..Why come back to college for a 5th or 6th year. He's not making much of a living playing for OU anymore. Bet he can do pretty well overseas. He is a very elite shooter.. go make money

Yeah I think he has a tough choice to make. I don’t think there is much he can do to turn himself into an NBA player, so I guess it depends whether he wants to come back for one more run or get started on an overseas career.

texas had to restock too -- they brought in more portal transfers than we did. They didn't make the Sweet 16, but they swept us and won as many games in the Big Dance as we did in the NIT.

texas had to restock too -- they brought in more portal transfers than we did. They didn't make the Sweet 16, but they swept us and won as many games in the Big Dance as we did in the NIT.

Texas had every advantage, so it's not a fair comparison. They got all the guys OU (and many other programs) wanted. Also, nobody expected Moser to be better than Beard...UT made a homerun hire.

ISU didn't exactly blow us away this year. On Selection Sunday, most on here considered us to be comparable.

Adams did outperform Moser at Tech. He did have a clear advantage given that he's been at Tech for years, and he was able to get guys like Williams that we coveted. We'll see if that continues.

Texas had every advantage, so it's not a fair comparison. They got all the guys OU (and many other programs) wanted. Also, nobody expected Moser to be better than Beard...UT made a homerun hire.

ISU didn't exactly blow us away this year. On Selection Sunday, most on here considered us to be comparable.

Adams did outperform Moser at Tech. He did have a clear advantage given that he's been at Tech for years, and he was able to get guys like Williams that we coveted. We'll see if that continues.

It should because NIL.

Almost every key transfer Tech has came from a low major. And Adams deserves credit for winning those recruiting battles. It's not like Tech has a long history of putting guys in the NBA or is located in an easy place to recruit guys to.

As for ISU, the very fact the Clones and OU were on relatively even footing this year shows that Otzelberger did a better job than Moser. He inherited a 2-win team, brought in a ton of new guys, and immediately turned things around. While we lost a bunch of guys in the portal, I don't think anyone can dispute the fact that Moser inherited a much better situation.

I don't think Moser did an awful job, and I still think he was the right man to hire. But I strongly disagree with those who have said he basically deserved a free pass for the first season because we lost several guys off last year's team. There is no reason this team shouldn't have been able to win two or three more games and comfortably make the tournament.

As it relates to Gibson and an overseas career— I think people say that without really understanding the landscape. There is nothing that Gibson does that would make him appealing to any sort of premier overseas league. Could be land SOMEWHERE? Sure. There are all kinds of leagues across the globe now. But a slick shooting 6 foot, non-PG is not something that is hard to find or anything sought after.

If ALL he wants to do is earn a paycheck of some sort playing basketball somewhere, then sure, go for it. But I would say the value in playing another year of college probably trumps leaving now. He could probably raise his profile if say OU made the tourney and went on a run. But beyond that, playing at a P5 school one more year is likely going to be more fun, better accommodations, etc than whatever he will find in Thailand or Turkey or wherever. Of course if they have some sort of deal lined up deep into six figures playing in Spain or Italy, of course that changes things. I just don’t think that’s going to be what is out there for him.

I like Moser's offense. Does it have a name? It is really able to manufacture good looks, and layups. I think it is harder to run than the standard drive and kick, pass around for a 3, or force switches to get iso on favorable matchup type offenses.

The offense was new to everyone, and players were new to the other players except the Groves brothers to each other and the 3 hold overs from Lon. This is where the turnovers stemmed from, and I think it will be much much better next year and the year after.

I think Cortes has enough potential to be starting PG in this league eventually. I think Nowland can play at his weight but would enjoy having less body fat %.

I was disappointed in the Groves brothers, especially Tanner who I thought would be more like Krutwig. I didn't expect much of Goldwire on offense, and was overall still a little disappointed out side of few games.

Chargois was a much better passer than I expected. Hill was fun to watch, and I hope Gibson comes back. If I was 24 years old and had a chance to be the star basketball player on college team, I would totally take it. That sounds like a lot more fun than trying to grind out a living.

Texas got a new coach and roster and did much better than OU. They pulled in a higher caliber of portal player too. Not happy about that at all.

Last edited:
Excited about Moser and what he did. Gibson turned into one of the best players in the conference. He shouldn't come back, hope he does though.

Most important keys this offseason.
Jalen Hill develop a shot/more aggressive on the offensive end. Play the 3! lol
Groves brothers get 10pct better each.
Land a legit transfer big.
Land a transfer wing player.

If Mo doesn't come back, then PG is as important as any other position - Bijan and Mason are not the answer for a starting PG on a tournament team.

Without portal assistance, Mo is OU's best point guard by far.

If Mo doesn't come back, then PG is as important as any other position - Bijan and Mason are not the answer for a starting PG on a tournament team.

Without portal assistance, Mo is OU's best point guard by far.

i agree ...

i will also say i think that is the best way for Moser to sell Mo on returning "you will be the starting PG"

Back