'04 nailed it: the weirdness of the NBA draft

Allow myself to defend.....myself. Friggin' NMSooner'80 has been posting my stuff around and letting me get roasted at all corners of the internet.

Here's the deal with Chairman Yao. I'm watching the game the other night, it's getting along deep into the 3rd quarter and Yao pulls down a rebound. The announcer says, "and there's Yao with his fourth rebound of the game." I'm prone to fly off the handle sometimes, and this was one of them. "FOURTH REBOUND OF THE GAME," I said. "YOU'RE 7'6''! YOU OUGHT TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT ON SKATES!"

I woke the wife up, and she was pissed, but my point stood. I know Yao's got inherent shortcomings BECAUSE he's 7'6'', but it's the effort that often causes my stomach to boil. I just can't tolerate big guys not getting rebounds. It's why a picture of Erick Dampier occupies the center area of my dartboard.

Now, Yao. The dude is a great, great player. I bemoaned the Rockets picking him because I thought we'd already seen Yao before back when his name was Shawn Bradley. I guess that's why I'll never be a GM in the League. His offensive game is wonderful, and if I weren't such a narrow-minded goob Yao would probably be one of my favorite players. I've been searching for a big man to adore for years. Maybe if Yao corralled a few more rebounds I'd buy one of those hideous Rockets jerseys.

I still think NBA GMs lose their minds from time to time with overseas players. Darko Milicic, oh the humanity. They've been drafting kids who can play lately, so maybe the days of Tskitishvili are over. I gave up on the NBA Draft long ago, so maybe I'll have to give it another chance one of these days.

In closing, two thoughts:

1. If Yao is worth all this money, why is Houston taking LA to a 7th game with that big rice eater on the bench in Armani? ;)

2. For every 48 minutes he plays, Greg Oden commits NINE fouls. NINE fouls! Move your feet, for crying out loud! If I'm spending the #1 pick on a big man I want Jabbar, someone who comes in and drops 25 and 15 every night. Not some guy who chugs Gatorade on the bench for 30 minutes a game!

I'm afraid I don't know you from Adam and I'm sorry that you have been put through so much, but I didn't get the sense from any posts in the thread that you needed to defend anything or were under any attack.

This post of yours, however, I will take two exceptions with. First of all, Yao gives exceptional effort. I am not a wholesale endorser of Yao as a dependable, elite player, and frankly I think his physical limitations hurt him in the NBA game particularly. But to say he gives poor effort is just an uninformed statement. He is slow and unable to elevate well...against the world class athletes in the NBA, those are traits that will effect your ability to get the number of rebounds to satisfy you. If you think he doesn't give good effort, then you simply don't understand what you are watching.

And your little comment about him being a rice eater...how thoughtful of you to wink, that makes it ok doesn't it. I know message boards are one place where repressed people feel the need to speak their minds and that it is hardly an arena of social responsibility, but whatever merit your post may have contained (still looking for it though) was completely undermined by your last statement. I don't speak for this message board, its mods or other members, but I personally have little to no use for someone who is going to throw stuff like that around.

I'm afraid I don't know you from Adam and I'm sorry that you have been put through so much, but I didn't get the sense from any posts in the thread that you needed to defend anything or were under any attack.
It was a joke.
And your little comment about him being a rice eater...how thoughtful of you to wink, that makes it ok doesn't it. I know message boards are one place where repressed people feel the need to speak their minds and that it is hardly an arena of social responsibility, but whatever merit your post may have contained (still looking for it though) was completely undermined by your last statement. I don't speak for this message board, its mods or other members, but I personally have little to no use for someone who is going to throw stuff like that around.
Again, a joke.

I joke around a lot. Sorry it offended you.

04 its good to have you at OUhoops! I always enjoyed reading your game recaps during the season.. Always very good writing and entertainment. Hope you're here to stay and dont worry most of us can take a joke here.

Yao averaged 9.9 rebounds per game along with his 19.7 scoring average. He had a 54.8% field goal average and an 86.6 free throw percentage. Not too shabby.

Guys, ease up on Sooner04. He's a great guy who has a knack for mixing humor with his posts, and I can assure you his comments about Yao were not meant to offend anyone. You'll understand that when you get to know him a little better. I have been trying to get 04 to post on this board since it was launched in October, so I would appreciate it if you didn't chase him off in the first day or two. ;)

I echo what chasehill68 said above. It's nice to have you here, 04!

The NBA is a weird league. They'll pass on guys who know how to "play" to draft guys with measureables.

This isn't limited to the NBA. MLB, NFL, and all college sports as well. There are tons of high school kids who can flat out play (enter sport here), but they don't have the measureables to play at the "next level". Don't see much changing in that regard for a while, but its not an NBA thing.

It was a joke.

Again, a joke.

I joke around a lot. Sorry it offended you.

"Rice eater" is a joke? I've heard it used time and again as a racial epithet but if that is a joke you don't have the knack. I'm with Mr. carp on this one.

forget it. There are plenty of mods around here. They can delete it and everything else.

The NBA is a weird league. They'll pass on guys who know how to "play" to draft guys with measureables.

How is that different than any other professional sports league? The NFL is the absolute worst at this.

It is how sports works at every level, not just in the NBA or professional sports. Anyone think OU recruited Oleg Restzov, Longar Longar, or Orlando Allen for their polish as basketball players?

It is how sports works at every level, not just in the NBA or professional sports. Anyone think OU recruited Oleg Restzov, Longar Longar, or Orlando Allen for their polish as basketball players?

Exactly. This.
We all are intrigued by the unknown. The landing of something bigger than expectations. It's human nature.
Why do you think many of us loved the thrill of opening sports cards packs as kids?

Difference is, I don't think it is a bad thing.

I don't think it is either. I agree with you. You have 13 schollies. All 13 can't play. Might as well swing for the fences with a few schollies and see if you can get a homerun.

Back