'04 nailed it: the weirdness of the NBA draft

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
(I couldn't have said it any better, so I'll borrow it and attribute it to him. This was in regard to a rumor on another OU board about Taylor Griffin maybe playing football for OU next fall)

Sooner04
Sooner All-Big XII

Re: Cool Rumor

The Skull will be in here at any moment to blow this theory halfway to Neptune, but here's my take.

The NBA is a weird league. They'll pass on guys who know how to "play" to draft guys with measureables. That's why they'll pay guys like Yao Ming hundreds of millions of dollars to pull down nine rebounds a game. You're 7'6''! You should be able to pull down nine rebounds in a half.

They'll throw gobs of money at Hasheem Thabeet next year even though his offensive game is about as solid as smegma. He's soft, he's uncoordinated, but he's 7'3'' and he's shown the ability to block a six-footer's shot. Big friggin' whoop.

What Taylor lacks in height (he's only 6'7'') he makes up for in explosive athletic ability. He can jump out of the gym, run like a cheetah and has a motor that simply doesn't quit. The NBA has a place for guys like that. He's got a good stroke and is competent at the free throw line. If he goes and works out for some GM and dazzles them I can see him getting a legitimate shot.

But, then again, Aaron McGhee was as good as anybody in 2002. He had range, he could rebound, and he shot about 80% from the free throw line. Then he went out and dominated at the Portsmouth Camp.

And then he was never heard from again.

You just never know.

But they'll keep throwing money at Jim McIlvane and Jerome James, and I'll continue to die a little bit on the inside every time they do.

I've seen where a freshman from UCLA is projected in the NBA Lottery, and he didn't even average double figures. Another freshman stiff, this one from Ohio State, came out and he didn't even start. But he's 7-0 and has an "upside," so he'll go ahead of a more polished graduating senior. :confused:

There is a lot of truth in that, except the Yao Ming inference. If you can't see the overall upside of drafting a Yao Ming, then your analytical skills are struggling.

There is a lot of truth in that, except the Yao Ming inference. If you can't see the overall upside of drafting a Yao Ming, then your analytical skills are struggling.

Yao Ming is an all-star, and one of the best centers in the world. Sure, he should probably average a couple of more rebounds per game but he is incredibly skilled for a guy that is 7'6'', in fact, nobody can match him in terms of skill.

I don't watch the NBA enough to know how good Yao Ming has been lately. The part that I agreed with the most was the part that I put in bold-faced type (passing on guys who know how to play vs. guys who have "measurables").

I don't watch the NBA enough to know how good Yao Ming has been lately. The part that I agreed with the most was the part that I put in bold-faced type (passing on guys who know how to play vs. guys who have "measurables").

becuase being a good college player has very very little to do with becoming a good nba player ..

jj reddick and adam morrison are two of the best scorer's we have seen in college in the last 20 years .. both were picked in the first round .. both were picked way way to high ..

in college elite defenders and athletes are rare .. .. in the nba they are every where ...

with few exceptions you need to have a level of athleticism to be successful ..

Yao Ming is an all-star, and one of the best centers in the world. Sure, he should probably average a couple of more rebounds per game but he is incredibly skilled for a guy that is 7'6'', in fact, nobody can match him in terms of skill.

This....and we didn't even touch on the economic value, which is the whole objective of owning a franchise anyway.

Yao is great...when he plays. Has he ever played a full season? He is guaranteed to miss a good 25% of games every year. Being tall and skilled isn't everything.

Yao is great...when he plays. Has he ever played a full season? He is guaranteed to miss a good 25% of games every year. Being tall and skilled isn't everything.

Yao is worth every dime.

Yao is worth every dime.

I wonder how much Rockets stuff is sold in China?

I went to a Wizards-Rockets game in DC back in '03 just to see Jordan play and was floored by the support Yao got from Chinese-American fans. They adored him. They screamed "Yao!" about a hundred times before the game even started.

I'd bet that he's comparable to what Jordan was in his prime in terms of popularity in China; maybe more? This popularity I'm sure is transformed into in a lot of $ by the Houston Rockets. He's worth every dime, nickel, and penny IMO.

Being that big is typically bad for one's lower legs, especially feet (see Bill Walton for a perfect example)

People assume because you are 7-6 that you should automatically dominate. That is just silly. In many ways to be THAT tall is almost a problem and can work against you. It's not easy to be coordinated when you are that freaking huge.

People assume because you are 7-6 that you should automatically dominate. That is just silly. In many ways to be THAT tall is almost a problem and can work against you. It's not easy to be coordinated when you are that freaking huge.

Exhibit One: Shawn Bradley

I bet Yao would be a better player if he was 7'0'' or 7'1''...

Injuries aside, i've been really impressed with Yao. Dude has great hands and touch for a guy that big.

I guess 04 would draft Jay williams over Yao as the #1 pick. This reference is just plain silly and almost stupid.

I live in Houston and watch a lot of Rocket games. In fact, I was at the game and got home at 1:00a this morning after watching them beat the Lakers wire-to-wire without Yao and McGrady (and Mutumbo). It's been amazing to watch Aaron Brooks grow up as an NBA PG in the playoffs...... another story. I also love the hustle and savvy of Luis Scola....... Shane Battier is an unbelievable defensive player.

Back to topic: Yao Ming.....

He has the best shooting touch I've ever seen for a big man. Probably a 85% free throw shooter, great turnaround jumper from the base line.

Obviously he's huge. Not only tall but heavy. Maybe 350+ with massive legs. His problem is he's not quick or mobile. He lumbers up and down the court. They really bang on him inside, and he just stands there. He's a smart player and an all-star. He sets good picks and plays smart. Average defender.

The thing Yao doesn't get any credit for is how hard he works and how intense he is about winning. His teammates respect the hell out of him. Once I heard that it became tough for me to be too hard on him. I think he will always have problems staying healthy, which makes him a ridiculously tough guy to have on your roster at max dollars.

The thing Yao doesn't get any credit for is how hard he works and how intense he is about winning. His teammates respect the hell out of him. Once I heard that it became tough for me to be too hard on him. I think he will always have problems staying healthy, which makes him a ridiculously tough guy to have on your roster at max dollars.

Why I don't think we fully understand his competitive drive because of the language/culture barrier, but he is one of the most competitive guys in the NBA. He really doesn't care if he goes for 30 and 15 or 14 and 9, the guy just wants to win and I respect that.

Look back to last summer at the Olympics, he poured his heart and soul into those games (although for his country), I think it carries over with the Rockets, too.

Allow myself to defend.....myself. Friggin' NMSooner'80 has been posting my stuff around and letting me get roasted at all corners of the internet. ;) :)

Here's the deal with Chairman Yao. I'm watching the game the other night, it's getting along deep into the 3rd quarter and Yao pulls down a rebound. The announcer says, "and there's Yao with his fourth rebound of the game." I'm prone to fly off the handle sometimes, and this was one of them. "FOURTH REBOUND OF THE GAME," I said. "YOU'RE 7'6''! YOU OUGHT TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT ON SKATES!"

I woke the wife up, and she was pissed, but my point stood. I know Yao's got inherent shortcomings BECAUSE he's 7'6'', but it's the effort that often causes my stomach to boil. I just can't tolerate big guys not getting rebounds. It's why a picture of Erick Dampier occupies the center area of my dartboard.

Now, Yao. The dude is a great, great player. I bemoaned the Rockets picking him because I thought we'd already seen Yao before back when his name was Shawn Bradley. I guess that's why I'll never be a GM in the League. His offensive game is wonderful, and if I weren't such a narrow-minded goob Yao would probably be one of my favorite players. I've been searching for a big man to adore for years. Maybe if Yao corralled a few more rebounds I'd buy one of those hideous Rockets jerseys.

I still think NBA GMs lose their minds from time to time with overseas players. Darko Milicic, oh the humanity. They've been drafting kids who can play lately, so maybe the days of Tskitishvili are over. I gave up on the NBA Draft long ago, so maybe I'll have to give it another chance one of these days.

In closing, two thoughts:

1. If Yao is worth all this money, why is Houston taking LA to a 7th game with that big rice eater on the bench in Armani? ;)

2. For every 48 minutes he plays, Greg Oden commits NINE fouls. NINE fouls! Move your feet, for crying out loud! If I'm spending the #1 pick on a big man I want Jabbar, someone who comes in and drops 25 and 15 every night. Not some guy who chugs Gatorade on the bench for 30 minutes a game!

Last edited:
Allow myself to defend.....myself. Friggin' NMSooner'80 has been posting my stuff around and letting me get roasted at all corners of the internet.

Here's the deal with Chairman Yao. I'm watching the game the other night, it's getting along deep into the 3rd quarter and Yao pulls down a rebound. The announcer says, "and there's Yao with his fourth rebound of the game." I'm prone to fly off the handle sometimes, and this was one of them. "FOURTH REBOUND OF THE GAME," I said. "YOU'RE 7'6''! YOU OUGHT TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT ON SKATES!"

I woke the wife up, and she was pissed, but my point stood. I know Yao's got inherent shortcomings BECAUSE he's 7'6'', but it's the effort that often causes my stomach to boil. I just can't tolerate big guys not getting rebounds. It's why a picture of Erick Dampier occupies the center area of my dartboard.

Now, Yao. The dude is a great, great player. I bemoaned the Rockets picking him because I thought we'd already seen Yao before back when his name was Shawn Bradley. I guess that's why I'll never be a GM in the League. His offensive game is wonderful, and if I weren't such a narrow-minded goob Yao would probably be one of my favorite players. I've been searching for a big man to adore for years. Maybe if Yao corralled a few more rebounds I'd buy one of those hideous Rockets jerseys.

I still think NBA GMs lose their minds from time to time with overseas players. Darko Milicic, oh the humanity. They've been drafting kids who can play lately, so maybe the days of Tskitishvili are over. I gave up on the NBA Draft long ago, so maybe I'll have to give it another chance one of these days.

In closing, two thoughts:

1. If Yao is worth all this money, why is Houston taking LA to a 7th game with that big rice eater on the bench in Armani? ;)
2. For every 48 minutes he plays, Greg Oden commits NINE fouls. NINE fouls! Move your feet, for crying out loud! If I'm spending the #1 pick on a big man I want Jabbar, someone who comes in and drops 25 and 15 every night. Not some guy who chugs Gatorade on the bench for 30 minutes a game!

Because he has about 2 billion fans on the other side of the Pacific.

Back