2023 Bracketology catch all

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/ESPNLunardi/status/1619544034401460225[/TWEET]

I still think ou is on outside looking in. Need to get 6 more wins total (including tournament), and I think we would be in.

The NET is pretty bad iyam. Ou moved up 10 spots after 1 of the more impressive wins by any team in the country this year. Then ORU moves up 11 spots after smashing a terrible South Dakota (passes ou and osu). Also not sure how Ohio state can be 29th with their 11-10 record.

The NET is pretty bad iyam. Ou moved up 10 spots after 1 of the more impressive wins by any team in the country this year. Then ORU moves up 11 spots after smashing a terrible South Dakota (passes ou and osu). Also not sure how Ohio state can be 29th with their 11-10 record.

It seems the NET metric has been tweaked from the last several years. On the surface, it appears to me that it now punishes teams more for getting blown out. We dropped significantly in the NET after our losses to both OSU and TCU. Neither loss was a "bad loss" per se (Quad 1 games), but apparently the margin of loss (or win) is now more of a component in the NET metric. The other thing I've noticed about NET is that it doesn't seem to punish teams as much for losses to bad team (Q3 and Q4 games) as it has in recent years. There are several teams above us in NET that absolutely mystify me as to why they are ranked there. An example would be OSU....they are #44 in NET as of this morning and we are #56. We have the same record (12-9), but OU has more Q-1 wins (3 to 2), more Q-2 wins (3 to 2) and OSU also has a Q-3 loss. OU has no losses in Q-3 or Q-4 games. OU has a 5-5 road/neutral record, yet OSU is 3-7 in road/neutral games.....still OSU is 12 spots ahead of us. I wish someone could explain the disparity to me .

IMO, Kenpom is a much more accurate assessment (efficiency) of how "good" or "bad" a team is.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/ESPNLunardi/status/1620810046300123136?s=20&t=19n_IUTHDxUPfVpyWxui4w[/TWEET]

So dumb. Beat WV H2h. I know. Long ways to go.

What a massive week; playing two of the teams right there on the bubble with us. If we sweep this week we are 3-1 vs OSU and WVU for the season and it might then be hard for those teams to ever get above us assuming we all kind of stay in same general range.

I think this needs to be a 2-0 week. Yes, we could lose at WVU and potentially make it up somewhere else-- but it is BY FAR our "easiest" remaining road game.

What a massive week; playing two of the teams right there on the bubble with us. If we sweep this week we are 3-1 vs OSU and WVU for the season and it might then be hard for those teams to ever get above us assuming we all kind of stay in same general range.

I think this needs to be a 2-0 week. Yes, we could lose at WVU and potentially make it up somewhere else-- but it is BY FAR our "easiest" remaining road game.

Yeah, it is hard to see any road wins left other than possibly West Virginia. Not only are the rest of the games against really good teams, they are tough places to play (even KSU and Texas fit in that category this season).

Beat Sam Houston, and either Texas or Baylor at home and OU is in. Darn. So close yet so far away.

So wait ... beat a consensus top 5 team by 25 and DROP?

No. We moved up 10+ spots in the NET and moved from well outside the tournament to being either the last in or first out in Lunardi's opinion.

Beat Sam Houston, and either Texas or Baylor at home and OU is in. Darn. So close yet so far away.

I agree, but no reason to cry over spilt milk. Make the Bama game mean something. Nut up and win these next two, and go from there.. Play and coach with your hair on fire like you want to actually make something of the season. No more second half OSU BS. It's right there in front of them. Do it!

We didn't drop. We were in his "next four out" before we drubbed Bama. If we win tonight, we are back in. Assuming we win, the game Saturday in Morgantown may be the most important game we've played to date. This team is going to have to find a way to win at least one more game on the road. We've seen glimpses of really good play on the road, so it isn't out of the question. I'm hoping to catch a team above us on an "off night"....lord knows we need some good fortune after the close losses.

OU was never "well outside the tourney" according to Lunardi

I was simply answering his question by pointing out that we didn't drop after beating Alabama. But if memory serves, we were either the 7th or 8th team out, and that's fairly far removed from the field. Before beating Bama, we were barely clinging to life support, so I'd say my assessment is fair.

We still have plenty of opportunities for quality wins, but we have to WIN the games. Close losses are no help.

At this point, I'm not sure if it makes any difference if we are "last 4 in", "first 4 out", "next 4 out", or otherwise. That win over 'Bama essentially means we have a great chance of making the Tournament with a 7-11 conference record and one win in the conference tournament. That puts us at 18-15...nothing to get excited about, but now have a realistic chance thanks to Saturday.

Of course, we have to win tonight. I just don't see us getting to 7-11 with a loss tonight.

At this point, I'm not sure if it makes any difference if we are "last 4 in", "first 4 out", "next 4 out", or otherwise. That win over 'Bama essentially means we have a great chance of making the Tournament with a 7-11 conference record and one win in the conference tournament. That puts us at 18-15...nothing to get excited about, but now have a realistic chance thanks to Saturday.

Of course, we have to win tonight. I just don't see us getting to 7-11 with a loss tonight.
A lot depends on how the bubble shapes up for sure, but I think of the Alabama win as now allowing us to be purely on edge with 6 regular season wins & 1 tournament win as opposed to last year where we were on the edge with 7-11 record & the BU win in KC.

Except for Lunardi, seems like some of the bigger platform guys (Palm, the Athletic) don’t have us in currently although Bracket Matrix has us in the composite “last 4-in.”

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/ESPNLunardi/status/1621266210414534658[/TWEET]

Back