'24 NCAA Tourney Discussion Thread

Define western side

My best guess would be Mountain and Pacific time zones. They only make up a little more than a third of the country, but it's an interesting stat nonetheless. I also didn't realize until last night that the Big 10 Conference hadn't won a Natty in hoops since the turn of the century (Michigan State). I've always had a ton of respect for the Big 10 since OU struggles against those schools in the NCAA Tournament. I think Jeff Capel was the only OU coach to get a W (against Michigan). We lost to Indiana three times, Michigan State twice, Purdue and Iowa - but we do own Arizona :).

Probably west of the Rockies. Texas has won a natty in football and KU has won a couple in hoops in that timeframe, so it's not west of the Mississippi.

Sadly, we have not.
You could pretty much draw a line straight down the middle of the country and it would still be accurate. I guess Texas and Baylor are more or less right in the middle. KU would fall on the east side.

You could pretty much draw a line straight down the middle of the country and it would still be accurate. I guess Texas and Baylor are more or less right in the middle. KU would fall on the east side.
KU is slightly east of Baylor/Austin. Not as much as a difference as you would think though.

Since the Wooden Dynasty era ended in 1975 there have been only 3 teams West of Texas win a title.

UNLV 1990
UCLA 1995
Arizona 1997

KU is slightly east of Baylor/Austin. Not as much as a difference as you would think though.

Since the Wooden Dynasty era ended in 1975 there have been only 3 teams West of Texas win a title.

UNLV 1990
UCLA 1995
Arizona 1997
I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I would guess that there are many more universities in the East as opposed to the West. Many sparsely populated states only have one P5 school, and some have zero.

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I would guess that there are many more universities in the East as opposed to the West. Many sparsely populated states only have one P5 school, and some have zero.

Power Five conferences and member universities

As you can see, there are a lot more schools in the P5 in the East than in the West. I think you can throw in a few schools like Gonzaga that also have a chance to win in March but other than that you can see that it definitely skews East.

The Final Four was a snoozefest.

I disagree. The Bama/Uconn game was really good and even the final was very entertaining.
You must not appreciate good basketball.
Unfortunately, it highlights how far away OU is from the final 4 wrt talent.
I guess I'm ok with that. I'm not going to whine about other people not providing the money it takes to buy talented players it would take to make a final 4.
The state of college sports, and sports in general, isn't really a model to be proud of for any fans.

I disagree. The Bama/Uconn game was really good and even the final was very entertaining.
You must not appreciate good basketball.
Unfortunately, it highlights how far away OU is from the final 4 wrt talent.
I guess I'm ok with that. I'm not going to whine about other people not providing the money it takes to buy talented players it would take to make a final 4.
The state of college sports, and sports in general, isn't really a model to be proud of for any fans.
To each his own but I assure you I do appreciate good basketball. The final was like watching paint dry though. It was boring, and the 2nd half was not competitive.

This was overall the worst NCAA Tournament we've had in a while. There was some cool things with the NC State run. Oakland was a decent story. Texas A&M/Houston was a classic but the final 4 games were all lackluster. Not a ton of real upsets. Lots more one sided games than usual.

This was overall the worst NCAA Tournament we've had in a while. There was some cool things with the NC State run. Oakland was a decent story. Texas A&M/Houston was a classic but the final 4 games were all lackluster. Not a ton of real upsets. Lots more one sided games than usual.
UCONN is arguably the most dominant team the sport has seen in a long time, especially in the tourney, and is loaded with pros. Bama played them toe to toe for the majority of the game and was tied with under 10 to play in a fast-paced game. Not sure how you would call that game lackluster.

It was weird to watch that game without hating one or both teams. That took some pressure off of watching it. Now if it'd been Kansas vs. Duke, then the TV would have been on anything else but the game.

I'm also thinking the day after about how odd the NBA tends to do things with the draft. Zach Edey should have probably been in the league already. But the NBA "brass" would probably take Bronny James over Edey nine times out of 10.

It was weird to watch that game without hating one or both teams. That took some pressure off of watching it. Now if it'd been Kansas vs. Duke, then the TV would have been on anything else but the game.

I'm also thinking the day after about how odd the NBA tends to do things with the draft. Zach Edey should have probably been in the league already. But the NBA "brass" would probably take Bronny James over Edey nine times out of 10.
What do you mean “should” be in the league already? Is their job to draft guys based on who had the most college success, without concerning themselves with how he will likely be able to play against NBA athletes? He will be drafted and will get a chance, and might even carve out a decent career. But there are valid reasons why he would have been a fringe draft prospect had he come out last season.

Back