3-point shooting and OU

thebigabd

Reaction score
Last season, OU did not have a single player shoot 40% or above on the year. By percentage, OU's best shooter from the outside was Blake Griffin at 37.5%. The best 3pt shooter in terms of makes and percentage was Willie Warren 37.2%...

I haven't looked at every teams final stats, but I am pretty sure OU would be one of the few (maybe only?) Big 12 teams without a shooter at the 40% mark.

Will anyone get to that mark with at least 25 or 30 makes next year?

The thread could of simply said.

"3-point shooting and OU......not very good."

Now, we had some streaky guys hit some shots, but overall it was lacking. Last year we were able to get away with not having a dominant shooter w/ Blake in the middle, but I think this coming year we are going to have to have someone step up and be consistent.

Last season, OU did not have a single player shoot 40% or above on the year. By percentage, OU's best shooter from the outside was Blake Griffin at 37.5%. The best 3pt shooter in terms of makes and percentage was Willie Warren 37.2%...

I haven't looked at every teams final stats, but I am pretty sure OU would be one of the few (maybe only?) Big 12 teams without a shooter at the 40% mark.

Will anyone get to that mark with at least 25 or 30 makes next year?

3pt shooting was not a case of not having people that could shoot the shot, but lack of consistency. When OU played their best, Everyone was knocking down the three. When OU had some bumps, shooter were cold. This year is different, because Blake Griffin is not going to be there to save the day when everyone is cold. So consistency is the key. Also, OU is adding three perimeter shooters in TMG, Pledger, and Ray Willis. Those three to go along with WW, Cade, and Tony should help improve the average.

Hard to say if that will be improved next year. Cade, Pledger, and TMG will have alot to say about that probably. I expect Crocker to be about the same, and WW should be a little improved in that area, though being the focus of the other team will make things a bit tougher on him. I'd really like to see one of Cade/Pledger step up and be a gunner off the bench.

3-Point Field Goal Percentage (Min. 1.5 made per game)
## Player-Team Cl G 3FG FGA Pct
----------------------------------------------------
1.Holmes, B.J.-TAMU........ SO 16 31 66 .470
2.Morningstar, Brady-KU.... SO 16 24 54 .444
3.Voskuil, Alan-TTU........ SR 16 40 91 .440
4.Carter, Josh-TAMU........ SR 16 41 95 .432
5.Thorne II, Dwight-CU..... JR 16 25 59 .424
6.Page, Keiton-OSU......... FR 16 28 67 .418
7.Lawrence, Matt-MU........ SR 16 30 72 .417
8.Petersen, Bryan-ISU...... SR 16 25 61 .410
9.Clemente, Denis-KSU...... JR 16 36 88 .409
10.Collins, Sherron-KU...... JR 16 36 90 .400
Johnson, Austin-OU....... SR 16 26 65 .400
12.Anderson, James-OSU...... SO 16 38 96 .396
13.Jerrells, Curtis-BU...... SR 16 37 96 .385
14.Warren, Willie-OU........ FR 16 28 73 .384
15.Carter, Tweety-BU........ JR 16 41 110 .373

Here are the stats from all the big 12 conference games.

Yet in Big 12 games OU ranked second in the conference at 39.2%. OSU with all their shooters was at 36.2%.

Personally, I thought OU was a pretty good three point shooting team. AJ, Crocker and Warren started slow but by January all three were shooting at a respectable percentage. About the only negative is that Crocker was very streaky for the season.

I think OU will be a better 3 point shooting team next year. I think TMG is going to be a better shooter than AJ (however, it may be tough as a freshman to top AJ's senior year). I think Crocker and Warren will be about the same but slightly improved. I think Cade Davis will be improved. I also think Pledger and Willis add options off the bench. Honestly just having Pledger to come off the bench is a pretty big boost.

Can Tiny hit a 3? I thought I read some stuff about him having a pretty good shot.

Personally, I thought OU was a pretty good three point shooting team. AJ, Crocker and Warren started slow but by January all three were shooting at a respectable percentage. About the only negative is that Crocker was very streaky for the season.

I think OU will be a better 3 point shooting team next year. I think TMG is going to be a better shooter than AJ (however, it may be tough as a freshman to top AJ's senior year). I think Crocker and Warren will be about the same but slightly improved. I think Cade Davis will be improved. I also think Pledger and Willis add options off the bench. Honestly just having Pledger to come off the bench is a pretty big boost.

Can Tiny hit a 3? I thought I read some stuff about him having a pretty good shot.

We also have to consider that a shooter is not going to get into a rhythm when the game plan is to get the ball to Blake. Also, I don't think WW was accustom to a catch and shoot routine when in High School he mostly always shot off of the dribble. As for Tiny, I doubt he shoots more than 10 3pt shots. He may shoot some 18ft jumpers, but I highly doubt he's outside spotting up for threes. He has been an effective shooter in High school, but High school post players get a little more leeway than college ones.

Will anyone get to that mark with at least 25 or 30 makes next year?[/QUOTE]

I think that Willie will be right there at 40%.

Back