A Ramble and a Question

Probably have to consider Clifford Ray too. Both are great players but I wouldn't put either one above Hollis anyway. I was trying to think of guys I can see putting above Hollis.

Don Sidle. not saying he's above Hollis but was a Sooner HOF type.

No, he was selected in the 3rd round. Maravich was the #3 pick in the draft that year.

No, Clifford Ray was selected in the 3rd round. Gar Heard went #3 overall. I believe it was 1970, but not positive. Heard and Ray were both great Sooners, but neither was better than Hollis.

As others mentioned, Wayman, Alvan, Mookie, Stacey and Blake are the top 5 with the order being debatable. However, there are about a half-dozen Sooners vying for the sixth best OU player, and Hollis Price is definitely one of them.

Both Ray and Heard were 3rd round picks in 71 and 70

No, Clifford Ray was selected in the 3rd round. Gar Heard went #3 overall. I believe it was 1970, but not positive. Heard and Ray were both great Sooners, but neither was better than Hollis.

As others mentioned, Wayman, Alvan, Mookie, Stacey and Blake are the top 5 with the order being debatable. However, there are about a half-dozen Sooners vying for the sixth best OU player, and Hollis Price is definitely one of them.

It was 1970, but he went to Seattle with the 6th pick of the 3rd round. Just google "1970 NBA draft". Pistol Pete went at #3.

If you are creating an OU B-Ball HOF and leaving Hollis Price out, I guess only about 5 people are getting in.

Bottom line is he started 4 years, he was (along side) Najera the face of the Kelvin Sampson era of OU basketball and was the best player and leader on a Final 4 and Elite 8 team. Considering we've been to the Final 4 only 4 times and the Elite 8 not too often as well, he is anything but overrated. Sure his stats were not just out of this world but when you are making arguments like this, what is the point? To lessen the accomplishments of a great OU basketball player who has given you no reason to do so.

Pointless.

This.

It was 1970, but he went to Seattle with the 6th pick of the 3rd round. Just google "1970 NBA draft". Pistol Pete went at #3.

Thank you. I obviously stand corrected. That means OU had three 3rd round picks (Ray, Heard and Bowie) and two 2nd round picks (Price and Najera) combine to play about 50 years in the league. Not bad at all.

This post is overrated. I stopped reading about half way thru.
So you stopped reading before I provided a little statistical proof to suggest that Hollis Price is not the automatic 2-guard in the all-time Sooner lineup?

So you stopped reading before I provided a little statistical proof to suggest that Hollis Price is not the automatic 2-guard in the all-time Sooner lineup?

Stats don't tell the entire story. Had he been a bit of a ball hog, he could have averaged much higher.

Stats don't tell the entire story. Had he been a bit of a ball hog, he could have averaged much higher.

When looking at efficiency and well-roundedness, Hollis is no better than McCalister either (I'm not talking totals or averages, here.)

Back