Austin Reaves

Reaves is notorious for the phantom head bob. It's a new thing meant to fool the ref into blowing a whistle over minor contact. Trae Young was a master at this, and Reaves did it often at the beginning of the year.

It just so happened that, this time, it looked like the head bob when, in fact, he got smoked right across the nostrils. I couldn't believe the ref wouldn't own up to his mistake. Luckily, it didn't cost us.

Yes he is & I don’t blame the official for giving him a warning if he didn’t see him get hit on the play. But like you said, the bloody nose should’ve showed the official he wasn’t flopping.

What most of us don't know is whether a lot of the isso ball jacking up shots stuff is generally what the coaches want in certain situations or do they want to refine it. Have they been pushing him to be aggressive, just wishing his shooting % to pick up?

What most of us don't know is whether a lot of the isso ball jacking up shots stuff is generally what the coaches want in certain situations or do they want to refine it. Have they been pushing him to be aggressive, just wishing his shooting % to pick up?

It’s definitely not what they want, they’d like to get a shot in flow rather than rushed. But him or Doolittle are really the only options to create a shot on their own consistently in a rushed situation.

In their heads, yes, which is where it counts, which is the gist of my initial post.

They should have rescinded the official warning because it could’ve led to a technical later. So in their heads isn’t where it counts bc it could’ve hurt OU in the official score.

They should have rescinded the official warning because it could’ve led to a technical later. So in their heads isn’t where it counts bc it could’ve hurt OU in the official score.

If they know they goofed then that it is exactly where it counts. If they saw him actually flop later in the game they would have realized it was his first flop. I mean really. The refs are the ones in control so everything goes through them, this is the realization, if they are content in not doing something then that is precisely what they will do.

And they should have called the foul. Intentionally or not, the WV player hit him in the nose with sufficient force to bloody it.

If they know they goofed then that it is exactly where it counts. If they saw him actually flop later in the game they would have realized it was his first flop. I mean really. The refs are the ones in control so everything goes through them, this is the realization, if they are content in not doing something then that is precisely what they will do.

If they know they goofed then correct the goof!!! Especially when play hasn’t resumed & you see the bloody nose.

If the ref counted the basket for Hill but another ref saw the shot shouldn’t have counted should he just think in his head “I’ll give WVU a call later to make up for it”?

And they should have called the foul. Intentionally or not, the WV player hit him in the nose with sufficient force to bloody it.

They should’ve called a foul in real time, but the rules say you can’t call a foul on replay. Unless it’s a reversal on somebody in the restricted zone.

If they know they goofed then correct the goof!!! Especially when play hasn’t resumed & you see the bloody nose.

If the ref counted the basket for Hill but another ref saw the shot shouldn’t have counted should he just think in his head “I’ll give WVU a call later to make up for it”?

It happens all the time as they are called "makeup calls," but to the point, the statement still stands that the refs are the arbiter of everything which occurs on the court and not some of it.

If Lon didn't want Reaves to flop, he wouldn't do it.

If Lon didn't want Reaves to flop, he wouldn't do it.

Yep. I didn’t mention the nonstop flopping in my post but it’s also absurd and annoying, I hated it when Marcus Smart did it, I hate it when Reaves does it.

It happens all the time as they are called "makeup calls," but to the point, the statement still stands that the refs are the arbiter of everything which occurs on the court and not some of it.

Make up calls shouldn’t happen if you can correct the original call.

Yep. I didn’t mention the nonstop flopping in my post but it’s also absurd and annoying, I hated it when Marcus Smart did it, I hate it when Reaves does it.

Kids flop when a coach doesn’t want him to, running backs run out of bounds when they could get extra yards, kids swing at balls, kids break from strategies on distance races. You can’t prevent kids from their habits they established years before in a year, it takes time and correction with reputation. You can’t change a kids behavior by ranting at him a few times, no matter how much you want to believe that’s how it works.

I’m not condoning Reaves flopping, which he didn’t do yesterday. But I’m not blaming LK for when he does it. He’s done it less & has played a lot better, but I’m sure LK & the staff had nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
I’ve always said I have a love/ hate relationship with his play... lol.

Sometimes I’m like damn that was sweet...
Sometimes I’m like damn WTH are you doing...

It is what it is...

They could’ve gone to the monitor and reviewed the play and called a foul on wvu for hitting him in the face.

Back