Austin Reaves

When I watch Austin, or any of our players for that matter, I ask myself one question:

1) Is he a better player at the end of the season than at the beginning?

There is no question in my mind that he's a better player now than he was in November.

He's one of those players who might need an IV after every game because he plays so hard. Sometimes, that serves him well. Sometimes it doesn't. Doolittle always seems cool, calm and collected. Austin walks a fine line between being in control and being out of control. But all in all, I like having players on our team that wear their feelings on their sleeve. His positives outweigh any negatives for me.

Great post, MsPS. The fact that Reaves always gives it his all is exactly what endears the kid to me. And, yes, Austin's play has and is continuing to improve. None of our players are perfect; they all turn the ball over occasionally and don't always make the correct decisions in pressure situations. But we could say the same for every player in college basketball – and in the NBA, for that matter.

When I watch Austin, or any of our players for that matter, I ask myself one question:

1) Is he a better player at the end of the season than at the beginning?

There is no question in my mind that he's a better player now than he was in November.

He's one of those players who might need an IV after every game because he plays so hard. Sometimes, that serves him well. Sometimes it doesn't. Doolittle always seems cool, calm and collected. Austin walks a fine line between being in control and being out of control. But all in all, I like having players on our team that wear their feelings on their sleeve. His positives outweigh any negatives for me.

And if he is playing better, it's stuff that mostly isn't showing up in the box scorer. Here it is broken down by month.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/austin-reaves-1/splits/2020

November was his best 2 point shooting %, best 3 point shooting %, best or 2nd best rebounding month (per minutes played), fewest turnovers per minute played, and least fouls committed per minute played. About the only hard stat that appears to be better is assists.

Reaves is a baller. Don’t be so surprised if he wins conference player of the year next year.

I could completely see that happening. His instincts are good and he's really active. These are the things that must be present and can't really be coached.

Problem is still his judgment AND his first step isn't as fast as he thinks. Not to say he's slow ... he just isn't quicker than some of these kids he thinks that he can drive by.

BUT - it's a great move when he dishes the ball. He draws them in and someone else finishes. And that's the growth he's making mentally in his game. The staff has been trying to wedge this knowledge into his head while giving him that green light because he can be a deadly distributor when he figures it out.

The downside has been his learning curve because things have often turned ugly for him when he kept trying to finish. He takes these crappy, off-balance shots or gets stuck under the basket ... death if you're trying to score but excellent if you're just drawing them in. He's gotta pitch it out more. And he has been. When he does it more they will lay off more and suddenly his moves will turn to gold.

And if he is playing better, it's stuff that mostly isn't showing up in the box scorer. Here it is broken down by month.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/austin-reaves-1/splits/2020

November was his best 2 point shooting %, best 3 point shooting %, best or 2nd best rebounding month (per minutes played), fewest turnovers per minute played, and least fouls committed per minute played. About the only hard stat that appears to be better is assists.

He’s a better player now & it’s not close. He’s taking more catch & shoot 3s, less fade-away jumpers, making more ball movement passes other than just passing for assists. He’s also battling on rebounds & is playing good defense now. He took 4 tough shots yesterday & 3 were at the end of the clock, but unlike earlier in the season he wasn’t dribbling around waiting for the shot clock to get down. I really like the way he’s played lately.

I love Reaves, shot selection and all because he looks like he wants to win every second of every game. Underrated defender too. When he drives and kicks to set up his offense, he is a REALLY good player.

If he were shooting 35% from 3 everyone on here would be calling him a hero. Good player, can be great next year/

Reaves is a good player. I think maybe the expectations early on were higher than they should’ve been. He’s struggled at times and he’s made some really boneheaded plays as well. However, he’s also made a lot of great plays. He’s one of our best players. Doo, manek, and reaves are our best and we need them to win.

On another note, what was the flop warning all about? Reaves was punched in the face incidentally and his nose was bloodied. The ref gave him a flop warning? When is the last time the ref gave anyone a flop warning? I can’t remember one. That was a weird deal.

Reaves is a good player. I think maybe the expectations early on were higher than they should’ve been. He’s struggled at times and he’s made some really boneheaded plays as well. However, he’s also made a lot of great plays. He’s one of our best players. Doo, manek, and reaves are our best and we need them to win.

On another note, what was the flop warning all about? Reaves was punched in the face incidentally and his nose was bloodied. The ref gave him a flop warning? When is the last time the ref gave anyone a flop warning? I can’t remember one. That was a weird deal.

Happened a lot early in the season but not much lately, either because players have adjusted or because refs have lightened up on it. Seems like every year, the point of emphasis becomes less of an emphasis as the season progresses!

Happened a lot early in the season but not much lately, either because players have adjusted or because refs have lightened up on it. Seems like every year, the point of emphasis becomes less of an emphasis as the season progresses!

True. Remember the freedom of movement idea. They were calling hand checks early and then they completely stopped calling any hand checks later in the season.

I just thought it was weird that reaves was hit in the face, nose bloodied, and the ref thought he was flopping?

Reaves is our best facilitator. He is excellent navigating the traffic in the paint and making the tough interior pass. But his "getting mine" shots send my BP into orbit. He's cut down on those significantly of late. I thought he was a warrior in Stillwater when the rest of the team stayed on the bus.

At the beginning of the year he flopped all over the place. Word got out. He now carries that stigma. But for the official not to use the two eyes God gave him in seeing the blood coming out of Austin's nose.....ridiculous.

Three guys make it awfully rough on a defense. Three guys can make you really tough this time of year.

Last edited:
Reaves is our best facilitator. He is excellent navigating the traffic in the paint and making the tough interior pass. But his "getting mine" shots send my BP into orbit. He's cut down on those significantly of late. I thought he was a warrior in Stillwater when the rest of the team stayed on the bus.

At the beginning of the year he flopped all over the place. Word got out. He now carries that stigma. But for the official not to use the two eyes God gave him in seeing the blood coming out of Austin's nose.....ridiculous.

Three guys make it awfully tough on a defense. Three guys can make you really tough this time of year.

I'm sure the refs took that in account.

I'm sure the refs took that in account.

That’s what annoys me about some refs. Yes Reaves flops, & when Reaves snapped his head back I’m sure the ref missed the contact and thought Reaves was selling contact. However, after you see blood just admit you were wrong and rescind the warning.

And Kruger was arguing the whole time to the ref but he just doesn’t throw a tantrum like some, including me, would like sometime.

That’s what annoys me about some refs. Yes Reaves flops, & when Reaves snapped his head back I’m sure the ref missed the contact and thought Reaves was selling contact. However, after you see blood just admit you were wrong and rescind the warning.

And Kruger was arguing the whole time to the ref but he just doesn’t throw a tantrum like some, including me, would like sometime.

The refs could have moseyed over to the "official scorer's table" to change the call, but as long as they took what they saw in account then that is all that matters. The other stuff is fluff and irrelevant in the whole scheme of things.

Flopping should not be a coached and encouraged part of the game... Refs hate it, fans hate it, damages your reputation and credibility as a player, etc

Surprised Lon encourages it.

Does he?

I've never seen Reaves as a major flopper. He's done it a few times, but he's not at the level of, say, Marcus Smart. Not by a long shot. Certainly not enough that an official should let a flopping call stand (can it even be a flop if you keep your feet?) despite blood flowing from Reaves' nose.

There was clearly not even the hint of a flop on that play.

There was clearly not even the hint of a flop on that play.

I assumed it was called because of the way his head popped back and in slow motion, it did seem a bit delayed (not that I can imagine Reaves thinking in the moment, "I think I'll pop my head back to try to get the call" -- it wasn't that much delayed).

But the bloody nose should have been sufficient evidence for the official to correct himself, even if he missed the contact.

The refs could have moseyed over to the "official scorer's table" to change the call, but as long as they took what they saw in account then that is all that matters. The other stuff is fluff and irrelevant in the whole scheme of things.

The bloody nose was fluff & irrelevant?

Reaves is notorious for the phantom head bob. It's a new thing meant to fool the ref into blowing a whistle over minor contact. Trae Young was a master at this, and Reaves did it often at the beginning of the year.

It just so happened that, this time, it looked like the head bob when, in fact, he got smoked right across the nostrils. I couldn't believe the ref wouldn't own up to his mistake. Luckily, it didn't cost us.

Flopping should not be a coached and encouraged part of the game... Refs hate it, fans hate it, damages your reputation and credibility as a player, etc

How does he encourage it?

Back