Best frontcourt in the league.... Who ya got?

thebigabd

Reaction score
I am gonna go with Kansas State here....

Curtis Kelley: Named to the All-Newcomer Team as selected by media members who cover the Big 12... Averaged 11.5 points on a team-best 56.5 percent shooting (152-of-269) with 6.2 rebounds, 2.0 blocks and 1.6 assists in 25.4 minutes per game.

Freddy Asprilla: Rated the No. 2 prospect in the junior college ranks by JucoJunction.com. Selected the Sun Belt Conference Freshman of the Year... Also named third team All-Sun Belt Conference... Saw action in 23 games, including 14 starts... Missed seven games at mid-season due to a herniated disc in his back... Averaged 13.7 points on 53.2 percent shooting (126-of-237) with 9.2 rebounds, 0.7 assists and 0.7 blocks in 25.7 minutes per game.

Jamar Samuels: Earned Big 12's 6th Man Award. Also selected Big 12 Sixth Man of the Year by Yahoo! Sports..Named to the All-Reserve Team as selected by media members who cover the Big 12...Averaged 11 points on 53.9 percent shooting (131-of-243), including 37.3 percent (19-of-51) from 3-point range, with 4.9 rebounds, 1.2 assists and 0.9 steals in 23.2 minutes per game.

Wally Judge: Averaged 3.3 points on 43.8 percent shooting (42-of-96) with 3.0 rebounds in 11.7 minutes per game... Connected on 58.1 percent (36-of-62) from the free throw line... Scored in 22 games, including four double-digit efforts.

I'm going to go with OU here:

Chris Washington: Earned first-team National Junior College Athletic Association honors as a sophomore after averaging 19.3 points, a school-record 13.0 rebounds and 1.8 blocked shots per game. Also named the NJCAA Region II Player of the Year and Region II Tournament MVP. Recorded 25 double-doubles in his 32 games (14 consecutively at one point).

Big Puma: As a Sophomore, he averaged 8.8 points and 4.5 rebounds in 26.2 minutes a game; Shot .430 from the field and .652 from the free throw line. Made 19 3-pointers and posted an incredible .413 mark from beyond the arc. Named Southwestern Athletic Conference Freshman of the Year in his Freshman Season.

Nick Thompson: Averaged 8.6 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.2 assists in 23.6 minutes per game as a sophomore at College of Eastern Utah. Shot .556 from the field, .399 from 3-point range (19-for-49).

Andrew Fitzgerald: Averaged 4.8 points, 2.0 rebounds and 0.5 assists in 15.7 minutes a contest. Recorded season highs of 16 points (8-for-14 shooting), six rebounds and 37 minutes at No. 1 Kansas and finished with 14 points and five boards versus No. 7 Kansas State (Feb. 20).

Last edited:
Kansas

The good Morris twin
The bad Morris twin
Withey
Thomas Robinson

The Morris twins are going to dominate the Big 12 this year and I think Robinson will take off this year.

Kansas

The good Morris twin
The bad Morris twin
Withey
Thomas Robinson

The Morris twins are going to dominate the Big 12 this year and I think Robinson will take off this year.

Booooooooooo. :)

Baylor if Perry Jones plays to his top 10 rep.
Kansas if not. Word is the Morris twins are dominating.

Marcus will dominate, not sure on Markieff.

What people don't understand is that Markieff was very, very good for KU last year. I said this a number of times last year, KU was better offensively when the twins were in as opposed to Marcus & Aldrich.
Markieff is a fantastic shooter and really opens things up. I think he'll make a jump this year like Marcus did last year. Marcus just got more the opportunity because his position was wide open. Now it is for Markieff.

It is going to be so much fun next year when the Big12 goes to an 18 game schedule and gets rid of Colorado and Nebraska. Can you imagine the wars if there is an NBA lock-out and all these guys that might go pro return (Morris, Perry Jones, Acy, Judge, etc...)?

Before the summer started I thought Kansas State had the best frontcourt due to the combination of strength, size and quality depth. I would have put Kansas and Baylor in the conversation. With the loss of Sutton and the eligiblity of Bobo Morgan for Baylor, I think this puts Baylor and Kansas State on equal footing.

Kansas State has more strength; Baylor has more athleticism. Kansas is very good down low with the Morris twins and Robinson. I wonder how the injury to Withey (out 6 weeks with a broken foot) will affect them. If he doesn't fully recovery from that injury, I put Kansas a notch below Baylor/Kansas State in the frontcourt.

And I just checked the official roster for KU. No Selby. Not good. My experience is that when guys aren't on the official roster, they usually don't ever suit up... like Tony Mitchell at Missouri.

I'm going to help Aaron7 out since bigabd doesn't study Baylor very often :)

Bobo Morgan: 6'11" 265lbs Jr; 5-star recruit coming out of high school. Huge bust at UCLA. He battled injuries and had trouble in Ben Howland's man-to-man system. He was out of shape at UCLA- carrying around 290lbs most of his time there. He's down to 265lbs and moving much better. Good post moves and soft hands. Foot speed and coordination are his weaknesses. Will be interesting to see if he can take over Lomers role for Baylor in the 2-3 match-up zone. Not as strong as Lomers but more athletic and better offensively.

Perry Jones 6'11" 235lbs Fr; highest rated recruit in Baylor basketball's history. Was a McDonald's All-American. He does everything well- shoots, passes, solid footwork, good combination of size, strength and athleticism. The knock on him is sustained effort. He was very good at the Adidas Nations camp this summer with some of the best college basketball players in the country.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJWgP5mrmMw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJWgP5mrmMw[/ame]

Anthony Jones 6'10" 200lbs Jr; started 36 games last year. Averaged 6 pts; 5 rebounds. Good defender on the wing of the 2-3 zone with his length. Was a consensus top 50 high school recruit.

Quincy Acy 6'7" 225lbs Jr; averaged 9 pts and 5 rebounds. Led the big 12 in FG % at 70%. Shot improved a ton as the season went on- 78% free throw shooter in conference play. Tireless worker; undersized inside but tremendous athleticism. Dunked 10 times in one game versus Texas.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H9ou2_7Tio"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H9ou2_7Tio[/ame]

Cory Jefferson 6'9" 215lbs Soph; voted best dunker on team (team that includes Acy); very active player inside and an excellent defender. As Acy becomes more of a focal point on the offense, Jefferson is likely to be this year's version of Acy. Here's some clips of Jefferson in action this summer- he's #11:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNFjPViEaFw&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNFjPViEaFw&feature=related[/ame]

according to okstate.com roster update. Matt pilgrim, marshall moses, and darrel williams all are at 255lbs. Don't know about being the best front court, but no team will be pushing these guys around.

Is A. Jones the next K-Mart or is that Acy?

Is A. Jones the next K-Mart or is that Acy?

good memory! Acy is the next K-Mart. Here's a comparison of their sophomore years in college. NBA scouts have uttered those words- not me initially. But I see the comparison. One scout said after watching open gym this year, "Reminds me a young James Worthy."

He's only 19 years old- was a 17-year old freshman for Baylor. His ball-handling and shooting have improved tremendously in the off-season. I say he is good for 15 pts, 8 rebs and 2 blocks this year. He will be Baylor's 2nd offensive option (after Dunn). Since Ekpe's gone, I have to hype someone from Baylor...

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?kenyon-martin=1997-1998&p1=quincy-acy&p2=kenyon-martin

according to okstate.com roster update. Matt pilgrim, marshall moses, and darrel williams all are at 255lbs. Don't know about being the best front court, but no team will be pushing these guys around.

Moses and Pilgrim are the two best rebounders in conference as well.

Seems hard to believe since Moses is only about 6'5". seems like too much weight for him to carry.

How exactly are you guys defining frontcourt? The small forward position could be considered either front or backcourt depending on the style of play.

Also, how are you factoring depth into the equation?

12 months from now I may make a push for Mizzou's hypothetical frontcourt of Ratliffe, Mitchell (after he hypothetically gains eligibility in late December), Bowers and Keith Dewitt.

Back