Best passer in OU history

Terrell Everett was a better passer than AJ ever thought about being.

Everett averaged 182 assists per year, while AJ only averaged 91 assists per year. Even when lobbing passes to Blake Griffin, he only put up 140 assists (the most in his career). Everett had 199 assists his senior year, and 166 assists his junior year.

Man, I would have loved to see Everett play with Willie and Blake Griffin. National title, anyone?

Everett is a top 3 passer in OU history... Nobody could keep him in front of them and at 6'4'' could make a lot of plays for himself and others going toward the rim. Great player.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying about Everett, but I think sometimes we only remember the flashy plays he made. In his two years at OU he may have averaged 182 assists per year, but he also averaged 105 turnovers. That is only 1.7-to-1 assist to turnover ratio. I have a hard time saying a guy was a great passer when he turned it over that much.

Austin Johnson had 235 assists in his final two seasons with only 104 turnovers...thats a ratio of 2.3-to-1. Now don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not saying that AJ should be considered one of the best passers in OU history, nor do I necessarily think he was a better passer than Everett. But I think OU fans tend to remember TE's flashy stuff while forgetting his turnovers, poor shot selection and wild play.

I think Mookie and Ricky Grace are pretty safe bets for the top two, but I'd second John Ontjes for that third spot. He was a good passer, played under control and didn't turn the ball over much. Brent Price and Quannas White probably deserve some mention too...

If you're picking a top five passers you'd have to put Alvan Adams in the mix. AA was the leading passer among big men for years to come and one of the top in the NBA.

As far as guards Ricky holds the assist record at 7.4 to 2.8 in 1988. However I don't think that is as impressive as the # 2 guy, Bo Overton, who had a 7.1 to 2.6 on a team that averaged 15 less points per game.

Here's a little note for everyone. On our 1984 team was a guard who set NCAA records for assists and assists to turnover but he couldn't get on the floor. His name was Mark Wade and he set the records at UNLV.

If you're picking a top five passers you'd have to put Alvan Adams in the mix. AA was the leading passer among big men for years to come and one of the top in the NBA.

As far as guards Ricky holds the assist record at 7.4 to 2.8 in 1988. However I don't think that is as impressive as the # 2 guy, Bo Overton, who had a 7.1 to 2.6 on a team that averaged 15 less points per game.

Here's a little note for everyone. On our 1984 team was a guard who set NCAA records for assists and assists to turnover but he couldn't get on the floor. His name was Mark Wade and he set the records at UNLV.

Thanks for that tidbit. I didn't know that Mark Wade attended OU.

I will go with John Ontjes. I don't buy the system passer stuff. John put the ball on the money to shooters out on the wing, and was really good at throwing bounce entry passes.

Relly was a really flashy passer but as others have said, he made too many poor throws to be considered the best in OU's history.

Back