Big 10 looking to add another team, possibly Mizzou or Iowa St.

Well I guess they are already I. The big east for bball which means I doubt they could join a different conference for football. Who knows how all of those logistics would work. Now if we're talking Iowa St going to the big 10 I say good riddance. They don't bring a whole lot to the table as it is and adding another team from Texas would give us a much more compact league geographically.

the north schools would not be enthusiastic about another texas school. and, as mentioned, the big 12 already dominates texas markets. though a texas school would seem logical from a lot of viewpoints, there are also strong arguments against it.

Where is $$ if you do that? Give up St. Louis for Houston or DFW (which the Big XII already has. Memphis is a better in my opinion. Utah is better in my opinion. New Mexico is better in m opinion.

Wow.

For the first time ever, Denver and I agree on something. :)

TCU or Houston add nothing to the Big 12. They are right in the middle of markets that the Big 12 already owns.

Poaching one of the other Mountain West teams would make the most sense.

Utah or New Mexico would be ideal.

Wow.

For the first time ever, Denver and I agree on something. :)

TCU or Houston add nothing to the Big 12. They are right in the middle of markets that the Big 12 already owns.

Poaching one of the other Mountain West teams would make the most sense.

Utah or New Mexico would be ideal.

They just need to add Fresno, Boise, and Nevada to the Mountain West and make it a BCS league.

The Big 12 can try and take Arkansas or Memphis and I would be fine with that.

What do you guys think about the possibility of going after one of the Arizona schools?

I think Arkansas belongs in the Big XII. I think it would be great to add another regional rival and maybe rekindle some of those Southwest Rivalries as well. They just need to stop pretending to be an SEC team.

What do you guys think about the possibility of going after one of the Arizona schools?

UA and ASU won't budge from the Pac-10.

TCU, Houston, etc. add nothing to the Big XII conference in a business sense, which is the only view that matters (North schools wouldn't be thrilled either).

I would LOVE New Mexico from a basketball standpoint, playing in The Pit every year? That would be awesome.

However, the only path that makes sense is to keep Mizzou, that would be a large blow.

Heck I think it's more likely that one of the Arizona schools defect than Arkansas leaving the sec and that gravy train

Heck I think it's more likely that one of the Arizona schools defect than Arkansas leaving the sec and that gravy train

You're right, Arkansas isn't leaving, why would they?

Everyone is talking about their natural rivals and all that, but when you're getting handily paid by a certain conference, you're going to stay there. Arkansas-LSU has turned into a great game every year. With Nutt at Ole Miss that rivalry will only continue to grow.

This is all a business...only thing that matters is the green.

Ya Arkansas won't leave, it would be a lateral move at best. Everyone has made some great points but I agree with camp that losing Mizzou would hurt more than Iowa State. I don't think either will go though.

Geographically Memphis, Utah, and New Mexico dont make any sense.

I don't necessarily agree. Why does Arkansas make more sense than New Mexico? Both are one state over. New Mexico is closer to Tech and CU than Arkansas (I think that is true with Tech). Utah is one state over from Colorado. Memphis may be a bad geographic fit but at least they add value. It is nothing more than a gift for OU, Texas, Nebraska and Kansas to allow TCU and Houston to join the conference (KU is a big name for basketball and that is why I included KU). Honestly, if the Big XII lost Missouri, I could actually see droping to an 8 team conference (OU, Nebraska, Texas, KU, A&M , Tech, OSU and KSU). Each school would probably make more money. ISU and Baylor add nothing to the conference. That would be a respectable basketball conference and really good football conference.

Im not sure if anyone would know, but do schools have contracts with conferences or are they allowed to leave and join conferences whenever they want?

Im not sure if anyone would know, but do schools have contracts with conferences or are they allowed to leave and join conferences whenever they want?

there are definitely contracts (constitutions, charters, whatever you want to call them).

i saw somewhere that to leave the big 12, a school would have to give 3 years notice and would not participate in conference revenue sharing for those final 3 years (which is like 8-9 million/yr for mu, so it's very substantial). i imagine that isn't the only penalty, but it's the only one i'm aware of.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/307878-big-ten-looking-to-add-12th-team

If this happened who would you want or see the Big 12 adding? My first thought is TCU but who would goto the North, OU or OSU? I doubt Arkansas would leave the SEC but if so they could goto the North. I'm not sure of any teams north unless you go with Colorado St.

No way on earth it would be TCU. Nebraska would have a cow... might even consider going independent. They were upset enough bringing in four Texas teams during the 90s. Iowa State, Colorado, Kansas and Kansas State probably wouldn't go for it either. Another texas school could seriously split up the conference.

TCU also brings nothing to the table other than football and baseball occasionally. Their basketball team has made the NCAA tournament something like once a decade or less, track and field isn't very good, don't even have a wrestling program like the rest of the texas schools. They also don't add another television market with the loss of the St. Louis area since Dallas is already in the bag with UT, OU, and aTm. Baylor has a much better overall athletic department than TCU and people complain about them as it is.

Imo if Mizzou leaves OU better have an idea of a place to go. None of the options being mentioned as replacement bring to the table what Mizzou brings.

New Mexico, TCU, Houston, Colorado St., Utah, BYU, Boise St. all bring nothing to the table in terms of $$$$ and that's what is important. Mizzou was 5th in the Big XII in licensing revenue and St.Louis is the 21st largest Market.

Arkansas would be a great logistical fit, but they aren't leaving the SEC. Arizona St. and the Phoenix market is really the only great possibility and who knows if they would be receptive.

Imo Mizzou is someone the conference can't lose

This is just probably talk. The Big 10 might make another run at Notre Dame, get turned down once again and the talk about expansion will end for now.

If this were to happen I could see and East//West realignment to keep rivalries in place. adding Arkansas, TCU, Houston or Memphis.

Colorado State would be the best choice.

not in any way. bad in football minus a couple teams in the late 90's/early 00's, bad in basketball. largely apathetic fanbase (can't even fill 40,000 seat stadium)....many of whom are bigger Nebraska football fans than CSU.

they command even less of the pro sports oriented Denver market than CU. college sports are an afterthought in Denver....so, no real benefit in my eyes from adding media markets perspective.

i've lived in Denver/Boulder for 15 years....I see almost no benefit from adding CSU.

Back