Big O - Time to make a decision, off the court?

buttermaker1

Reaction score
Okay I totally don't get the decision not to play Big O even 1 minute. We need post bodies, if Capel isn't going to play him it is time to move on and free up the ship.

Something off the court doesn't smell right.

I agree. Why no Big O. We saw last year in the NCAA he can play a little. His Defense can't be any worse.

Play Big O
Play Big O

Okay I totally don't get the decision not to play Big O even 1 minute. We need post bodies, if Capel isn't going to play him it is time to move on and free up the ship.
Something off the court doesn't smell right.

Why? He will be a senior next guy and we already have 3 ships. I don't think you bump him off.

As for why he doesn't play, beats the heck out of me. I agree that he could at least come in and bang around and give a foul or two at the end of the first half or during times when Tiny is in foul trouble.

From his demeanor on the bench his attitude appears fine. No reason to take his scholarship away for not playing.

Right now Big O has some issues he is working on off the court, that's pretty much why we have seen a limited roll with him. He is the first one though to cheer on the team, first to congratulate them, etc. His scholly isn't going anywhere.

Right now Big O has some issues he is working on off the court, that's pretty much why we have seen a limited roll with him. He is the first one though to cheer on the team, first to congratulate them, etc. His scholly isn't going anywhere.

Well if he isn't going to get the PT for off the court behavior we need to move on and give the ship to someone that can help us on the court. What a complete waste of a ship

I have no clue what is off the court issues are, but isn't that a little myopic to say if he has some then throw him to the wolves? I mean we recruited the kid, he chose OU, so on some level shouldn't we stick by him? If he had a bad attitude, then i could see it, but o does not. Just saying, don't expect guys to stick by us if we don't do the same. jmo

The thing is, he's been dealing with this for awhile. Handle your business and get it together. What use is he to us if he can't play? I like the kid, and I want him to succeed, but if he can't do his part then we shouldn't have to do ours. Get your head on straight!

I have no clue what is off the court issues are, but isn't that a little myopic to say if he has some then throw him to the wolves? I mean we recruited the kid, he chose OU, so on some level shouldn't we stick by him? If he had a bad attitude, then i could see it, but o does not. Just saying, don't expect guys to stick by us if we don't do the same. jmo

I agree, just letting him go to let him go is a bit harsh. If he decides to look for another situation somewhere else and thats best for him and for OU thats fine, but to simply take his scholarship away because he does not play in games is the wrong thing to do.

I hear what you are saying ouguy. it just seems like he is a good guy and hard worker. just not sure if that is the guy you want to throw under the bus. if O wasn't earning his schollie at practice then i would agree, but from what i understand that isn't the case. i guess my point is, let's not be so quick to cut a guy loose because he isn't scoring points. just doesn't seem like that is the way you want to run a program.

It has absolutely nothing to do with him being a bad kid or a bad seed which is why he is still on scholly. I'm not going to disclose any of his personal issues but he is a good kid, teammate, friend, he has just had some personal issues that have kept him off the court for now.

Its kinda weired looking on the bench and he is the biggest dude on the bench not getting any playing time.

I hear what you are saying ouguy. it just seems like he is a good guy and hard worker. just not sure if that is the guy you want to throw under the bus. if O wasn't earning his schollie at practice then i would agree, but from what i understand that isn't the case. i guess my point is, let's not be so quick to cut a guy loose because he isn't scoring points. just doesn't seem like that is the way you want to run a program.

I know all about what is going on and I like Big O. Its just he isn't PLAYING, its great he's working in practice, but thats what walk ons are for. He's a Junior going on Senior who isn't contributing and he needs to get his act together soon or stop playing basketball if it is causing that much of a problem. I mean he is at every game, I don't see how his issues could effect him playing if he's there and all that.

You have 13 schollies. All 13 guys can't play. Big O is a good kid. It's silly even to suggest taking his schollie away.

You have 13 schollies. All 13 guys can't play. Big O is a good kid. It's silly even to suggest taking his schollie away.

Yeah you have 13 of em, and I'm not saying take it away, just that he needs to get it together or move on if it is affecting him this much. But back to your 13 point. You probably play 8 say 9 guys every game. But those other 5/4 guys should be young guys waiting for their turn, not Senior Juco players not ever progressing to a level to be able to play.

I am not suggesting we just cut him, help him find a place to play and move on. We need post depth help.

Yeah you have 13 of em, and I'm not saying take it away, just that he needs to get it together or move on if it is affecting him this much. But back to your 13 point. You probably play 8 say 9 guys every game. But those other 5/4 guys should be young guys waiting for their turn, not Senior Juco players not ever progressing to a level to be able to play.

Orlando's scholarship is not the problem...coaches across the country would give a scholarship to a big body to be used in practice, every major team has one. The problem (until the recent rash of injuries) is that Ryan Wright and Orlando Allen have been filling the same role, which is a waste of one scholarship. Now that Wright is playing more, that problem is obsolete.

Hardrick's scholly is the one that is being wasted, ask him to transfer.

It has absolutely nothing to do with him being a bad kid or a bad seed which is why he is still on scholly. I'm not going to disclose any of his personal issues but he is a good kid, teammate, friend, he has just had some personal issues that have kept him off the court for now.

+1

What is going on is none of our business. If he is practicing like Coach wants and passing his classes then I don't see why his scholarship should be pulled. Not progressing to fans expectations in not a reason. If things are that bad off the court then he need to be with people who will help him like Coach and the rest of the team. We are not a basketball player factory, it will be important for Orlando to have a degree so we should let him be if Coach is Ok with it. I don't want us to be mentioned in the same breath with some other places who cut players loose to get a better player on scholarship, just doesn't feel right to me.

Mod.'s can we please remove this thread thanks, Big O hang in there we are pulling for you.

I don't know what he would help us with if he did play. He's an ok dude, but probably will never be an impact player.

Back