Brady Manek to the portal

I wish him the best wherever, out of conference if he doesn't stay. Hope he gets to play his natural position.

Hopefully he ends up at TU

That would be a nice place for him. I see that TU is getting Horne back for a 2nd swing as he transferred to Colorado for a year and wants to return to Tulsa, which comes after he left Nebraska for TU (Nebraska>Tulsa>Colorado>Tulsa).

Hopefully he is impressed by Coach Moser and stays at OU.

Sad that this even needs to be said but you are absolutely right. Also, I don’t think there’s any chance he would want to transfer down to a mid major that is unlikely to make the tournament.

Ok that's embarrassing.... He wants to play college basketball, just not at OU where he has started 4 years.

Things are tanking... especially if they hire Moser. Total dumpster fire if they hire that guy.

Derp

We have a choice as college fans now... either accept that free agency has arrived or stop watching. When you sign a kid now consider it a one year agreement that will be reevaluated at the end of each year. Then rinse and repeat for remaining years of eligibility.

We have a choice as college fans now... either accept that free agency has arrived or stop watching. When you sign a kid now consider it a one year agreement that will be reevaluated at the end of each year. Then rinse and repeat for remaining years of eligibility.

True, but technically it’s always a 1yr deal that gets renewed every yr...kids have been told to look elsewhere many times...now it puts the power in their hands.

Who should come first -- the fan, university, or the player?

I think that question tells most of the story about how you feel about transfer rules.

I think that question tells most of the story about how you feel about transfer rules.

The player, it’s their life not mine, yours, or anyone else’s

Last edited:

The player, but it's reasonable to ask if it's possible to consider all three. We've gone from one extreme to the other -- one wonders if there's something in between that would be reasonably fair to everyone.

For instance, I agree with Lincoln Riley's stance on intra-conference transfers. I think it's fair to put some restrictions on those.

I don’t personally have a strong opinion, but actions have consequences. Players gaining more freedom to move may very well result in less overall interest/commitment from fans. Not right or wrong, just a very possible outcome. Will also start to really change HS recruiting. At OU we aren’t getting five star kids anyway, portal kids are more proven— if you have a shot at 3-4 per off season maybe just focus all of your attention on transfers and more or less ignore the HS kids altogether- go for the proven commodity.

My bigger issue is the WHY here. It goes even deeper than college athletics and speaks more to the generational stuff. So I won’t get too into it as it can for sure be a rabbit hole. But I’ll just say this— as someone who employs young people and observes college athletes etc. I am very troubled at the way any sort of conflict, adversity, or disappointment is viewed and/or handled.

I support players rights to transfer and find the best situation for themselves. However, they should still have to sit out a year, especially if they transfer within the conference.

I don’t personally have a strong opinion, but actions have consequences. Players gaining more freedom to move may very well result in less overall interest/commitment from fans. Not right or wrong, just a very possible outcome. Will also start to really change HS recruiting. At OU we aren’t getting five star kids anyway, portal kids are more proven— if you have a shot at 3-4 per off season maybe just focus all of your attention on transfers and more or less ignore the HS kids altogether- go for the proven commodity.

My bigger issue is the WHY here. It goes even deeper than college athletics and speaks more to the generational stuff. So I won’t get too into it as it can for sure be a rabbit hole. But I’ll just say this— as someone who employs young people and observes college athletes etc. I am very troubled at the way any sort of conflict, adversity, or disappointment is viewed and/or handled.

I see the downside. There are many people who stuck out tough times at their original school and were ultimately rewarded. Some of those people wouldn't have stuck around if it were easy to bail.

However, there are a lot of kids that don't get that redemption, and we mostly ignore them. How many countless kids rode the bench because their skills weren't fully appreciated by their coach?

At the end of the day, some kids won't succeed with one system that would have succeeded with the other -- but I think the kids are most important, and they should be able to choose their destruction (or preferably the optimal route for them).

I support players rights to transfer and find the best situation for themselves. However, they should still have to sit out a year, especially if they transfer within the conference.

I fully support sitting out a year if you transfer in-conference. For any other circumstance, I think that's too harsh. Maybe basketball players should be allowed to practice immediately, but not play until December (or something like that). A full-year is just too long.

I like and cheer for OU...
I’ll follow OU guys that make the pros in any sport but not religiously...

Play for OU and I’ll cheer for you... don’t and that’s cool as well.

I fully support sitting out a year if you transfer in-conference. For any other circumstance, I think that's too harsh. Maybe basketball players should be allowed to practice immediately, but not play until December (or something like that). A full-year is just too long.

I would agree

I’m just a little cynical about the “do what’s best for you” thing. A lot of these kids are playing for multiple high school teams AND multiple college teams. Essentially basketball mercenaries from the time they are 14-15 years old. I’m skeptical of who that is really “good for” and who might be leading them to those decisions.

Back