Can Buddy Hield be the next Klay Thompson?

how is that hate?

I simply didn't agree with the comparison. I suppose you would agree if I compared him to lebron james? B/c if you didn't agree it would be considered hate?

Sorry "hate" as in harsh... not true hate. I was looking for your comparison. I see your morrow now.

I see buddy in a similar mold as anthony morrow. very quick release but neither are/will be great driving the ball. Buddy will be a better defender, much better.

A much better Morrow. JJ is a good comparison in my opinion. Athletic, but not a freak athlete, good defender but not great, can shoot, and drive.

Thompson is a terrible comparison. He's much bigger and more athletic.

J.J. Redick is the comparison to Hield. Both are not the most athletic guys, but through sheer will power and effort crafted their games to be elite shooters and among the best players in CBB.
I don't think Thompson is more athletic than Hield. That was one of the big knocks on Thompson coming out of college, and even in hindsight, it wasn't that far off. He's not a great athlete for an NBA SG, but his size helps make up for it. He transformed himself into a good defender by being a smart player who worked really hard at it.

Yes, it does when that difference is 4 inches.
Not that I think Thompson is a particularly good comparison for Hield (for reasons aside from size), but if size invalidates that comparison, then Redick shouldn't be in the conversation either.

Redick
Height w/o shoes: 6'4"
Height w/shoes: 6'4.75"
Wingspan: 6'3.25" (!!!)
Standing reach: 8'1.5"

Thompson
Height w/o shoes: 6'5.75"
Height w/shoes: 6'7.25"
Wingspan: 6'9"
Standing reach: 8'7.5"

Hield
Height w/o shoes: N/A
Height w/shoes: 6'4.5"
Wingspan: 6'8.5"
Standing reach: N/A

Height matters in some aspects (i.e. being able to see over a defender), but wingspan is far more important, especially on the defensive end. Redick and Hield maybe comparable in height, but with respect to functional length, they're not in the same ballpark. Redick's wingspan is below-average for a PG, let alone a SG. Redick, believe it or not, has the same wingspan as Shabazz Napier and D.J. Augustin.

Hield is more athletic than Redick, too. In the length/athleticism spectrum, Hield is closer to Thompson than to Redick. Despite being at such a disadvantage, Redick gradually turned himself into an okay defender, but Buddy has a higher ceiling as a defender.

With that said, I think the Redick comparison is more apt on the offensive end. I don't think Hield will be as dynamic of a threat as Thompson is for reasons beyond height.

Back