Can T-Crock rebound like that against high level teams?

thebigabd

Reaction score
Since being moved to the "4" Tony has had games of 13 and 16 rebounds... When OU plays bigger teams in conference, will Tony be able to rebound at that level?

Obi Muonelo and James Anderson seem to rebound well in a "small ball" system, so my initial thought is yes.

Discuss....

VERY good question big. I would venture to say that the difference between us winning and losing depends on this. I would guess that he can rebound well, but maybe not 13 or 16. Probably more lik 7 to 9

Since being moved to the "4" Tony has had games of 13 and 16 rebounds... When OU plays bigger teams in conference, will Tony be able to rebound at that level?

Obi Muonelo and James Anderson seem to rebound well in a "small ball" system, so my initial thought is yes.

Discuss....

Dude has shown the required effort, clearly understands rebound positioning, and can straight ELEVATE.

So I say yes.

As long as he continues to block out he will be fine, inch for inch Crock is the best leaper that I can remember OU having in a long, long time.

I would say the rebounding won't be an issue come conference season for Tony. I will be a little worried about how he might handle playing defense on the big physical fours.

My friend and I were talking about this the other night at the Zona game. While I don't think he's going to average 10 boards a game or anything, I think he will be able to hold his own on the glass in conference play. The good thing about college b-ball is that you don't run into a lot of teams that have front lines that go 6'10", 6'10" like you do in the NBA. Sure there are a few (very few), but the vast majority of teams just don't have that kind of personnel.

Rebounding is all about effort...if he is willing to put forth the effort each night then i believe he can rebound like this...maybe not to the number of a double double each night, but he can be a guy that has an impact on the glass...

I dont see why he cannot get 8-10 rebounds in some conference games.

Good question that I think everyone is wondering about.

I think last year provides the answer. Taylor Griffin was only 6'6 and he held his own all the way to the elite 8. Croc is as tall and athletic as Taylor, just not quite as beefy, and so I would think he will be able to told his own against most teams.

Clearly, we are not as good defensively when we play 2 bigs. We just don't have a big that can go out on the floor and guard anyone man to man. So, we end up being stuck in a zone and susceptable to the 3.

Not as well, no. But two things I've noticed:

1. We shoot more threes so the misses seem to be more up for grabs [not the most articulate way to put it];

2. We do more dribble and dissh/driving to bucket so oftentimes there is more space for him to rebound [again, not the most articulate way to put it].

I think his conference stats have an opportunity to be comperable if he continues to work hard at it. Other than being better behind the arc, he looks like Nate Carter did in CC's first season...really starting to enjoy TC's play [and he might be pl;aying his way to a draft spot].

taylor griffin was a legit 6'7 in shoes(he doesnt rebound with bare feet) however crocker is longer in my opinion. I dont think crock will have a problem rebounding, but defending could be a positive or negative. His length, quickness and hands will help but his lack of strength hurts him..i think hes about pattillo's size minus about 5 pounds with much more offensive ability

Rebounding, yes; scoring, no. I still think Pledger not playing much is a mistake. Crocker has been better this year than I thought he would be, but I still suspect that he will disappear in the Big 12.

Rebounding, yes; scoring, no. I still think Pledger not playing much is a mistake. Crocker has been better this year than I thought he would be, but I still suspect that he will disappear in the Big 12.

Given what you have seen why do you think Pledger will be a better option during conference play than crocker?

Actually, nothing, which in a strange way makes the point. Pledger looked to be a big time shooter. Next thing we know, he isn't playing that much and pressing when he does play. Now he isn't even shooting that well and is down the list as someone that can contribute in conference. Not finding a way to build on Pledger's confidence and experience will likely hurt the performance of the team.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Crocker plays on momentum. He scored a bunch of points in the first half, then with the crowd chanting "Tony Crocker" took the ball to the basket and proceeded to dribble the ball off his knee. He went on to score 4 points the rest of the way, 2 from the line. I suspect Crocker will experience a loss of confidence in Big 12 play and won't produce like he has produced.

Bottom line, I would have gone with the more skilled shooter.

Last edited:
Actually, nothing, which in a strange way makes the point. Pledger looked to be a big time shooter. Next thing we know, he isn't playing that much and pressing when he does play. Now he isn't even shooting that well and is down the list as someone that can contribute in conference. Not finding a way to build on Pledger's confidence and experience will likely hurt the performance of the team.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Crocker plays on momentum. He scored a bunch of points in the first half, then with the crowd chanting "Tony Crocker" took the ball to the basket and proceeded to dribble the ball off his knee. He went on to score 4 points the rest of the way, 2 from the line. I suspect Crocker will experience a loss of confidence in Big 12 play and won't produce like he has produced.

Bottom line, I would have gone with the more skilled shooter.

Wow. You are correct when you say that Pledger is needed for this team to be successful and that Crock has been inconsistent, but to imply that Pledger is going to be better than Crocker during conference play amazes me. I am biased but I still can't stand all of the Crocker haters. He is starting to become the player everyones wants him to be and people are still doubting him.:crocker

Back