Can T-Crock rebound like that against high level teams?

Do you even think Pledger is capable of playing Tony's role on this team? You think he can get tough rebounds on the block like Croc? Can he defend like Croc? What does he have on Croc right now? He is a better shooter?

Well the numbers think Croc is a better shooter here are his numbers:
From 3:
18-39 .462
From the Field:
41-83 .494

Pledger's
From 3:
21-52 .404
From the Field:
31-65 .477

So if you want to complain about Pledger not getting minutes you better not be complaining about how many minutes Tony's getting.

No, I don't;
No, I don't;
Yes, I think he can;
He's potentially a better shooter and thus, potentially a more dependable scorer;
Yes, I think he is.

I'm not saying that this team would now be better with Pledger. I'm suggesting that it could have been if that direction had been developed through the season. It's not so much a Crocker hating thing as it is an assessment of what is likely to expect in conference based on the past. It's also an acknowledgement that this team might go as far as outside shooting will take it.

Last edited:
I personally think you are confusing the probability that Pledger is likely going to be a better shooter than Tony with whether or not he is a better shooter today.

Pledger is going to do a lot for OU. There is nothing more promising than seeing a guy come in as freshman and demonstrate there are things he can do for the team. I already know Pledger can shoot. I hope to learn next that he is an energy guy and can defend. If by the end of the season Pledger is defending at a really high level he will start next season.

I tend to think shooting depends a lot on repetition. Pledger will be ready to start when he does start. That will give him the game repetition he needs.

Not to worry on defense; remember, offense takes skill and defense takes effort, defense travels, offense comes and goes but you can always play defense, all those little wisdoms to reflect the already obvious, that defense is an important part of the game. I've seen nothing to date to suggest Pledger is anything other than a high effort guy. He looks way more mature than most freshmen in terms of effort.

To say that Pledge will not play much anymore is crazy. Coach Capel loves what Pledge brings to the table, but just like he did with Tmg and Tiny. The message has to be sent. Less mistakes and better defense. I predict that Steven bill get considerable playing time the rest of the year. By the way. People can keep ragging on Tony, but consider this. Tony Crocker is the energy for this team right now. So is Cade. They also have playing experience. I'll tell you thats why they are on the floor. Even if their offensive output is not that good. They will stay on the floor because they know how to defend. The young players have raised their level, but not all the way to the top yet. This team is coming along and building chemistry. We just need to enjoy the ride and watch it become better and better. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

People misunderstand what I am saying. I'm saying that Pledger will play better as a starter. He obviously hasn't shot the ball well playing off the bench, in my opinion, because he is pressing to produce in the limited time he has to play.

On the other point, I don't think Pledger is included in those players that needed to have anything pointed out about defense or effort. I never saw him lacking in those areas. He doesn't have the benefit of a 4 year public pronouncement that he is a good defensive player, but he already plays pretty well on defense.

People misunderstand what I am saying. I'm saying that Pledger will play better as a starter. He obviously hasn't shot the ball well playing off the bench, in my opinion, because he is pressing to produce in the limited time he has to play.

On the other point, I don't think Pledger is included in those players that needed to have anything pointed out about defense or effort. I never saw him lacking in those areas. He doesn't have the benefit of a 4 year public pronouncement that he is a good defensive player, but he already plays pretty well on defense.

Pledger isnt going to start because he doesnt have the intangibles yet...he is a better option off of the bench right now for the Sooners...

I also wouldnt question his effort, but do question his knowledge and defensive ability at this point...he plays adequate defense when he is in but that is the main reason his minutes are limited IMO...

He just doesnt bring those intangibles i spoke of that Cade and Crocker bring to the lineup yet...and a lot of that has to do with confidence and being there before, the more he plays he will have an opportunity to earn either more minutes or that starting spot (wont be Crocker's tho)...

I continue to think that is a mistake, but now we will never know what more playing time would have produced. Tony has played very well so far. Hey, I hope it continues, but we shall see.

Pledger isnt going to start because he doesnt have the intangibles yet...he is a better option off of the bench right now for the Sooners...

I also wouldnt question his effort, but do question his knowledge and defensive ability at this point...he plays adequate defense when he is in but that is the main reason his minutes are limited IMO...

He just doesnt bring those intangibles i spoke of that Cade and Crocker bring to the lineup yet...and a lot of that has to do with confidence and being there before, the more he plays he will have an opportunity to earn either more minutes or that starting spot (wont be Crocker's tho)...

Just remember as a starter Ou is 1 and 1, and Pledger had 23 and 17 points respectfully...and if his selfish teammates would have feed him in the 2nd half...he would have went for 40

Yep

Now what is he contributing off the bench 2, maybe 4 points a game? I don't see how you can take his shooting ability out of the equation and that is exactly what has happened.

Back