Can't wait till this "Ford Stsyem" gets exposed

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
I get sick of hearing OSU fans refer to "Ford's System" as if it's some state of the art basketball philosophy and as Ford has a certain "standard" of players. Fact is "Ford's philosophy" is an Old played out one pulled from the Paul Westhead play book that is ineffective in basketball. Last year he he benefited from some very talented backcourt players courtesy of Rat Sutton. This year he will still benefit from some very explosive guys like Muenelo and Anderson. After those guys are gone, he's going to be exposed. The recruits that he is bringing in are decent guys, but none of them are NBA types. His recruiting of undersized post players will again be victimized. His recruiting of undertalented guys like Kirkland, Akol, Pilgrim, and maybe Walker will put OSU at a disadvantage against UT, KU, and OU, programs that are now consistently getting top level post players. His sytem is crap.

Last edited:
I do like the Markel Brown kid, but don't know if he'll be a major factor as a freshman.

His recruiting of undersized post players will again be victimized

who are these undersized post players you are referring too?

Franklin? so one guy?

Like everything else, it's going to be a wait and see approach. Kirkland was 1000% a safety measure. Adams had left the team, and Kirkland was nothing more than "just-in-case", and he's gone now.

Johnson, Pilgrim, and Walker are pretty much the same sizes as Hardrick, Gallon, and Fitzgerald (who I've read on here is substantially shorter than he's listed).

As far as under talented, the jury is out on Walker (reports at pickup games have been saying he's pretty good), Shaw's supposed to be very talented, and very raw, and 6'11".

I don't really see how his system is "crap" yet. He's only been here one year, and had one of the better point guards in the nation at his disposal. I think this year will go a long way to see how good of an offensive coach he is, while he's breaking in a new point guard.

Should be interesting, and not to damn with faint praise, but I am ecstatic to have him rather than Sean.

Re: Can't wait till this "Ford System" gets exposed

Hardrick is not a good coparison because alot of us feel he has a long way to go before he is productive at OU. Gallon is a legit 6'9 with shoes and he's a banger. OU also has Wright and Big O at the post. If we were being honest about what's going to happen at OSU next year, Moses, Muenelo, and Franklin are going o get more minutes than the other guys you named. Ford has made it clear in his first year that he's not going to throw it down to the post.

Hardrick is not a good coparison because alot of us feel he has a long way to go before he is productive at OU. Gallon is a legit 6'9 with shoes and he's a banger. OU also has Wright and Big O at the post. If we were being honest about what's going to happen at OSU next year, Moses, Muenelo, and Franklin are going o get more minutes than the other guys you named. Ford has made it clear in his first year that he's not going to throw it down to the post.

Until Moses woke up in conference play, OSU had NOBODY to throw it too in the post. You going to give the ball to Anthony Brown or Malcoln Kirkland?!??!

If OSU ever gets a consistent low block scorer (which Moses began to resemble, and the team DID give him the ball), I'm sure they will throw it into them.

For more than half the season there just wasn't any option, and it'd be pretty silly to let Kirkland be a part of the offense.

Until Moses woke up in conference play, OSU had NOBODY to throw it too in the post. You going to give the ball to Anthony Brown or Malcoln Kirkland?!??!

If OSU ever gets a consistent low block scorer (which Moses began to resemble, and the team DID give him the ball), I'm sure they will throw it into them.

For more than half the season there just wasn't any option, and it'd be pretty silly to let Kirkland be a part of the offense.

After Moses woke up, Ford still didn't give him the ball. This upcoming year Ford still wont give the ball to Moses, Walker, Pilgrim, or Shaw.

After Moses woke up, Ford still didn't give him the ball. This upcoming year Ford still wont give the ball to Moses, Walker, Pilgrim, or Shaw.

It's pretty obvious by looking at statistics where Moses had 7 games of over 10 field goal attempts Moses was given the ball. You don't get 10+ attempts from the field off put backs.

Or look at the Texas game at GIA where Moses was given the ball 3 straight possessions to start the game.

I'll give you karron johnson, but he is 6'8 or 6'7 so he would have essentially been a pf, but not from the get go.

Kirkland was more of a need than a want (not than anyone needs a bench warmer). He was a legit 6'8 so I don't know that I would call him undersized, but he certainly wasn't big per say.

Ford has shown his interest in height just not girth. So long as he has the scorers like Anderson, Markel Brown, Penn, etc. not having any girth won't be a huge problem. It will always be a matter of looking at things as an offensive advantage rather than a defensive disadvantage.

It's pretty obvious by looking at statistics where Moses had 7 games of over 10 field goal attempts Moses was given the ball. You don't get 10+ attempts from the field off put backs.

Or look at the Texas game at GIA where Moses was given the ball 3 straight possessions to start the game.

Let's put this into context. Moses had eleven double figure attempt games. In those games he averaged double figure rebounds. Those where games where he imposed his play on the game not a situation where he was included.

Let's put this into context. Moses had eleven double figure attempt games. In those games he averaged double figure rebounds. Those where games where he imposed his play on the game not a situation where he was included.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I watched the games, and the ball was given to him in the post. Later in the season he and Eaton did some pick and rolls.

The Texas game like I said, is frankly undebatable. The ball was given to Moses 4 straight possessions to start the game off.

Keep in mind, Moses was likely the 4th best offensive threat on the team.

But to say Ford didn't and will never throw the ball into the post, just doesn't make much sense.

Oh I watched plenty of OSU games, and when Moses did get touches, alot of them came on the baseline at about 15-18ft extended. From there he used either a quick baseline move or he shot the 18ftr. But let's take into extent who Moses is. He's really a guy who should be a wing. The reason he became effective is he was hard for post players to match up against. That is mid major ball. That is the mid major philosphy incorporated by Doc Sadler, Scottie Drew, and Ford that may be effective for a little bit, but is ineffective over the long hall. You can't get a Michael Cobbins, or a Luke Cothron with that as a model.

Saying that Moses should be a wing takes away a lot of your credibility. Ford showed he will do what works in games. He didn't recruit Pilgrim, Walker, Shaw etc. to not use them.

If you want to say that Ford's style of Basketball doesn't work that's fine, I guess Pitino's doesn't work either.

So 6'6 195lb post players are the norm in college basketball?? Talk about credibility.

So 6'6 195lb post players are the norm in college basketball?? Talk about credibility.

I'm sure you're just trying to ruffle the feathers of the few OSU fans around here. But where did you get 195lbs? He's listed between 225-235 for the last 3 years.

He was also classified as a power forward by both scouts and rivals.

I watched every conference game last season and moses got around 4-8 touches on the low block per game by the end of conference player.

That is the mid major philosphy incorporated by Doc Sadler, Scottie Drew, and Ford that may be effective for a little bit, but is ineffective over the long hall. You can't get a Michael Cobbins, or a Luke Cothron with that as a model.

I find this particularly hilarious because a style like scott drew's can only get: PF Correy Jefferson #51, PF Perry Jones #9, PF Kevin Rogers #54, & C Josh Lomers #56.

I also find it strange cobbins visited OSU if it is not possible to recruit a player like that...

I'm sure you're just trying to ruffle the feathers of the few OSU fans around here. But where did you get 195lbs? He's listed between 225-235 for the last 3 years.

He was also classified as a power forward by both scouts and rivals.

I watched every conference game last season and moses got around 4-8 touches on the low block per game by the end of conference player.

I find this particularly hilarious because a style like scott drew's can only get: PF Correy Jefferson #51, PF Perry Jones #9, PF Kevin Rogers #54, & C Josh Lomers #56.

I also find it strange cobbins visited OSU if it is not possible to recruit a player like that...

How does Moses look to you? Does he look like the typical power forward you see playing college basketball or is he closer to James Anderson, Obi Munelo, Brandon Rush, ETC? I finkd it particularly hillarious you bring up Baylor as an example of a program that incorporates post players as Kevin Rogers, Lomers, Acy, and Dienne had such small roles in the Baylor offense throughout their careers. Have you seen baylor play? It's three ball city with half of their gaurds and One on One with the other half.

How does Moses look to you? Does he look like the typical power forward you see playing college basketball or is he closer to James Anderson, Obi Munelo, Brandon Rush, ETC? I finkd it particularly hillarious you bring up Baylor as an example of a program that incorporates post players as Kevin Rogers, Lomers, Acy, and Dienne had such small roles in the Baylor offense throughout their careers. Have you seen baylor play? It's three ball city with half of their gaurds and One on One with the other half.

That wasn't the point he was making. It was the ability for Baylor to RECRUIT highly rated post players. Which you said with "mid-major systems" they wouldn't be able too.

You're not going to convince OSU fans that Ford is an idiot that doesn't know how to use post players, especially when we've seen the games, and he fully used the only post player he had.

Even when Thomas was on the team, Ford tried to get the ball to him. Watch the Tulsa game? Thomas shot the ball 16 times, over and over and over, they ran the pick and roll with he and Eaton.

Moses doesn't look a whole lot like Obi or JA in terms of body type. Seriously did you watch any of our games last season?

Moses doesn't look a whole lot like Obi or JA in terms of body type. Seriously did you watch any of our games last season?

Cmon, playboy. For you to not Acknowledge that Moses is not in the mold of a SG/SF from a physical standpoint makes you look very uneducated about basketball.

Back