Capel compliments Warren's leadership.

bocabull

Banned
Reaction score
and Validates what anybody with a brain knows: that WW is our best player.

From an article yesterday:

"Leadership things," Capel called them. "It's how he was in huddles, things like that, that no one really sees, but a coach sees and the rest of the team sees. When you have the best player doing that ... then it makes the other guys do that."

Link

Yes sheepdogs, I saw the quote. Of course there is no context around it.

What are they supposed to ask Willie?

What was the exact question Capel was answering?

Who was asking the questions? Some dork trying to make something out of nothing?

Most likely it was the 20th dumb question or insinuation like you get from the peanut gallery around here and he was blowing off the reporter more than taking a shot at his best player.

I'm gonna have to go with boca on this one. It was probably the 100th question asked about WW.

and Validates what anybody with a brain knows: that WW is our best player.

From an article yesterday:

"Leadership things," Capel called them. "It's how he was in huddles, things like that, that no one really sees, but a coach sees and the rest of the team sees. When you have the best player doing that ... then it makes the other guys do that."

Link

Maybe he should talk to himself about getting back on the break and helping his team out. Let someone play that cares about getting back on D and helping stop that wonderful UNC break.
Capel also said this:

Back to specifics, OU guard Willie Warren finished with two baskets, one rebound, four points and five turnovers. He spent 14 minutes on the bench, several of them with his back glued to his seat in either frustration or disinterest.

“You have to ask him,” Capel directed. “I’m tired of trying to figure him out.”

Last edited:
When you have the best player doing that ... then it makes the other guys do that."

By the same token when the "other guys" see "the best player" taking plays off does it make them do that too? WW leads by example whether he wants to or not. Right now his example is not good.

But after the loss, Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel took a shot at his swollen star, questioning Warren’s pride and status as the leader of the 8-4 Sooners.

"We have some guys who step up at times, but not a consistent voice, not a consistent leader,” Capel said. "You know who it is. Everyone in this room knows who it is.”

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/article/3426634#ixzz0aOKe8UZJ

But after the loss, Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel took a shot at his swollen star, questioning Warren’s pride and status as the leader of the 8-4 Sooners.

"We have some guys who step up at times, but not a consistent voice, not a consistent leader,” Capel said. "You know who it is. Everyone in this room knows who it is.”

I am sure this was taken out of context... or the 20th dumb question or something.

Back