Capel has signed 8 players who didnt play more than 2 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigabd

Reaction score
Pattillo, Clark, Griffin, Warren, Gallon, Maze, Cannon, Neysmith either did not or will not finish at OU.

A couple of them are positive (I suppose) defections, meaning they went or will go NBA. Blake, Warren, and Gallon are NBA departures, but that is still a lot of turnover.

Hopefully the run of players bolting slows down. It hasnt been noticeable because OU had the National Player of the Year and another NPOY candidate this year with Willie Warren.

Last edited:
Re: Capel has signed 9 players who didnt play more than 2 seasons

The number would be the same for just about every other team in the NCAA.

Heck, look on the other side of the state at OSU. The sufFer from the same thing. It happens to just about every team in basketball.

Did Clark commit to Kelvin? Also I want all of the Blakes, Wilies and Gallons we can get. So that leaves 5 guys in 3+ years, not bad I bet just about any other school has that many.

Did Clark commit to Kelvin? Also I want all of the Blakes, Wilies and Gallons we can get. So that leaves 5 guys in 3+ years, not bad I bet just about any other school has that many.

Yea, probably similar.

Blake, Willie, and Gallon were technically "good" defections because they are big time and went to the NBA.

Guys playing less than 2 years is not a bad thing when most of them are either good enough to play in the NBA or were recruited over/replaced by better players.

It's when you lose good players to transfer and replace them with lesser players that it becomes a problem.

I'm aware that I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not sure I consider any player who leaves after one season a good defection.

Two seasons, I can deal with, but I'd just as soon we avoided signing any one-and-dones.

Even though we all expect them to leave early, I don't know how you can go ahead and list Warren and Gallon as 2 year players. Yes it is assumed and will most likely happen seems you are using them to inflate your numbers to better reinforce a claim about Capel. Really makes it seem like you have an agenda with this post by including speculation with facts.
I mean if 2 years is the requirement why isn't Leary included, I know he graduated but he still was only here 2 years.

Even though we all expect them to leave early, I don't know how you can go ahead and list Warren and Gallon as 2 year players.

Because the probability of Willie going pro this year is about the same as the sun coming up tomorrow morning.

I'm aware that I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not sure I consider any player who leaves after one season a good defection.

I tend to agree, unless you are North Carolina and can continue to replace it. I am not sure OU can do that in the long haul.

Really makes it seem like you have an agenda with this post by including speculation with facts.

Why? Willie is a top 5 pick and is gone. The other I used from Tiny Gallons own mouth. He said he wants to be one and done, he doesnt want to play college for more than a year. I didnt make it up, thats what Tiny told us. If you have beef with that, take it up with Tiny, not me.

I mean if 2 years is the requirement why isn't Leary included, I know he graduated but he still was only here 2 years.

Leary completed his eligibility, therefore, is different.

At the end of the day the key for recruiting star players to the University of Oklahoma means showing that you are a program that gets guys into the NBA. The NBA is not real big on drafting college seniors [age and upside issues], so if were are going to get that type of talent, we have to be prepared for them to leave early. Just hope that they look at what Blake and Willie have done or will do ands recognize that extra year is critical.

Two seasons, I can deal with, but I'd just as soon we avoided signing any one-and-dones.

Depends on the player. Guys like Carmelo Anthony, Greg Oden and Derrick Rose worked out pretty well for their respective teams. Other guys like Jrue Holiday and Demar Derozan didn't help much. Blake could have very easily been a one and done player, but luckily he has great character and knew if he worked hard he could come back and improve his stock. It's all a crap shoot, but you should go for the best and most mature players you can get because there are no guarantees anyway.

I understand Tiny has stated he wishes to be in college only one year, but I still believe you are showing a biased view by placing speculation in with facts to increase your claim on this. What if, god forbid Tiny gets hurt or struggles this season? Is he still an automatic one and done?

Of course there is the flip side on Omar. Sure he only had two years of eligibility but was it not assumed when Blake, Willie and Tiny signed with OU there would only be here one to two years? Because you are projecting that as well so in that case they are like juco's. So why is Omar's case different then Blake, Willie and Tiny because according to the facts presented as fans we can assume that are all two years players.

I understand Tiny has stated he wishes to be in college only one year, but I still believe you are showing a biased view by placing speculation in with facts to increase your claim on this.

What bias? What is my motive here? You think I dont like Capel or something? lol

If we continue to recruit and get NBA talent, then we need to be prepared for them to leave early. What Capel needs to improve on... it still may be to early to judge his recruiting of non All Americans. We are going into year 4 and not one of his recruits other than the 2 All Americans have made any type of real impact yet. These are your four year players.

Patillo and Cade are probably his two top recruits at this point and Patillo only lasted a year. Hopefully Ray, Fitz, and Pledger get this turned around.

Last edited:

Even if Willie and Tiny only stay two years, I see that as a good thing. I'll take all of the players like them we can get! Blake did more for our program in two years than most players accomplish in four. If we're fortunate enough to get another player like him in my lifetime, I will be one happy OU fan. I hope Capel stacks one or two and done players on our roster like a cord of wood. :)

As for the other six, every player who left comes complete with a story. While that is not a good thing for the program, OU is not alone when it comes players leaving for other schools or being kicked off because they weren't following the rules. Unfortunately, that is fairly common these days.

What bias? What is my motive here? You think I dont like Capel or something? lol
Seems like you are using this thread to show it, I mean if you already counting Tiny and Willie as no more then two years it seems like they are no different then junior college kids eligibility wise.

as far as the one and dones or two and outs, i love that we now are on the national map in reguard to bringing in talent that has a chance to go to the next level quickly....

We won under Kelvin with 4 yr guys or guys that had no chance to compete at the next level...now we are doing it a totally different way...personally i like having guys that further their career where i can follow them, and it makes for a much more fun brand of basketball...

No matter the stats, Capel is doing something that no coach has done before him at this school (recruiting-wise)...if he stays i think the program has several more deep runs into the tourney, and that is what it is all about...

This is the trend in College Basketball. OSU has had 13 players sign with and then leave the program for different reasons recently.

This is the trend in College Basketball. OSU has had 13 players sign with and then leave the program for different reasons recently.

im talking about players that made it to campus, played, and then left.

How many have done that for OSU since 2007?

Yea, probably similar.

Blake, Willie, and Gallon were technically "good" defections because they are big time and went to the NBA.

OU has 1 player playing in the NBA (Najera. In two years OU/Capel will have three more players in the NBA (Blake, Willie and Tiny). I will take that transistion in player quality every year.

Since 2007, 6 players.

Gary Flowers - Got to campus, Practiced then got the boot.

Thomas, Adams and Kirkland - Left

Curry and *Anderson - Turned Professional

With several more on the way. We are one over on schollies right now and Ford is still heavily recruiting for 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back