Capel has signed 8 players who didnt play more than 2 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Capel has signed 9 players who didnt play more than 2 seasons

Gary Flowers - Got to campus, Practiced then got the boot.

Never played in a game, he doesnt count.

Curry and *Anderson - Turned Professional

Didnt Curry play 3 years? Anderson will have played 3 years as well.

Chris Early never played in a game also.

I didn't say they were there two years. I was just saying they did not finish their eligibility.

It was said that Byron Eaton and Terrell Harris had 25 or so teammates come and go during their time at OSU.

The title for this thread should be "Capel has signed 5 players who didnt play more than 2 seasons.

1.Gallon hasn't even started his OU career yet.
2.Warren hasn't finished his yet. (One bad season and he could be here 4 years)
3. and Keith Clark signed with and was recruited by Sampson

9 was a pretty big exaggeration and 8 is still wrong

OU has 1 player playing in the NBA (Najera. In two years OU/Capel will have three more players in the NBA (Blake, Willie and Tiny). I will take that transistion in player quality every year.

Regardless of on the court results in Norman?

Whats wrong with the court results in Norman? Capel has improved OU's record every year and continues to add MAA's which will most likely lead to more success on the court.

If Losing Bobby Maze and Tony Neysmith had put us in the NIT last year I could understand that its a problem. But we just had one of the best seasons in OU basketball history and are about to have another good one.

I think the real question is how many of those guys do you wish had stayed/would stay? Blake, Willie and Tiny obviously, but what about the other guys? Maze, Clark, Early, Neysmith, Cannon and Pattillo...Clark and Pattillo are the only two that are even talented enough to miss. Clark was a great kid, but we all suspected he wasn't ever going to put it together. And Pattillo has been totally over-valued by the fans. He wasn't a great dude, so who cares?

It is a lot of attrition, but its not like we are losing difference-makers or anything. If it hadn't happened, many would be belly-aching about how we have scholarships tied up in guys that could be recruited over. It seems to be working out and I'm glad that Capel doesn't mess around with trying to keep those guys around.

You guys shouldn't get on abd though. When I read the title of the thread, I rolled my eyes because I expected it to be a setup for a Sampson apology, but if you read abd's reply to coacht, he pretty much acknowledges that it isn't that big of a deal. His personal attacks regarding Capel's tweeting aside (joke), I don't think there is any agenda at work here...

Whats wrong with the court results in Norman? Capel has improved OU's record every year and continues to add MAA's which will most likely lead to more success on the court.

If Losing Bobby Maze and Tony Neysmith had put us in the NIT last year I could understand that its a problem. But we just had one of the best seasons in OU basketball history and are about to have another good one.

I didn't say anything had been wrong with the results to date.

I think the real question is how many of those guys do you wish had stayed/would stay?

Funny, but that's the precise response I've made to those who have repeatedly complained about Sampson's rate of attrition. I'm not about to get on Coach Capel on this issue any more than I did Coach Sampson, but what's good for the goose is for the gander.

I would say Maze has done okay for himself, every bit as well as most of the departed that the ABS Club members have long pined over.

Funny, but that's the precise response I've made to those who have repeatedly complained about Sampson's rate of attrition. I'm not about to get on Coach Capel on this issue any more than I did Coach Sampson, but what's good for the goose is for the gander.

I would say Maze has done okay for himself, every bit as well as most of the departed that the ABS Club members have long pined over.

The fact that Bobby Maze got into any D1 school is amazing to me.

I could care less if guys leave as long as they aren't leaving us for reasons other than going pro, discipline issues (including grades), or because they were recruited over.

Why does it always come back to comparing Sampson to Capel? It is what it is. When you don't treat everyone nicely you aren't overwhelmingly popular. It's quite simple. Capel will always get more of a pass because he's a nice guy who treats everyone as he would wish to be treated. Some people do, some people don't. Why do you think Barry Bonds gets treated different than Mark McGwire yet both equally cheated the game with steriods? Same offense yet they are treated differently. It's all about attitude. It's really as simple as that.

Last edited:

Guys playing less than 2 years is not a bad thing when most of them are either good enough to play in the NBA or were recruited over/replaced by better players.

It's when you lose good players to transfer and replace them with lesser players that it becomes a problem.

Agreed.

Losing players after one or two seasons is just a fact-of-life we all have to accept. We all know it's part of recruiting NBA-caliber talent. I don't see the loss of pro-bound players really slowing down anytime soon.

Guys being recruited over is another type of transfer I don't see as being bad; it means Capel and the coaches are doing a great job bringing in talent. I think a poster once said after Neysmith left, something along the lines of: It shows you how high Jeff Capel has elevated expectations for this program when a player like Neysmith feels he has to transfer to get playing time.

I do hope we don't have too many Clark's or Early's, though. Still, all programs have those cases, and especially the elite schools. It's usually a symptom of "too many stars, not enough playing time."

If we are in that group, I just might crap a golden brick.:dance005:

What is the point of this thread? Hey big why don't you do this for all the division one basketball teams and see how many of them there are that have gone through this. Welcome to the world of division one basketball. It will continue to happen. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

exactly. lumping blake, ww and gallon in with early, maze, neysmith and cannon makes me think he doesn't want capel recruiting the nation's top players.

Hell no! I want him to keep bringing the MCDAA's in! I just worry that Oklahoma (unlike North Carolina or UCLA) wont be able to keep up with the attrition.

Are the 4 year guys he signs good enough to take over once the stars are gone?

Example: If no MCDAA is signed OU MIGHT field a team like this next year.

PG: Tommy Mason-Griffin
SG: Cade Davis
SG: Ray Willis
PF: Andy Fitz
C: Orlando

Now, that team may not even make the NCAA Tournament. Thats an example of where the attrition could catch up with you if you go a year without landing the studs. Thats also a very real possibility... OU isnt Duke, and we dont know if he can bring in MCDAAs that can come in right away every season.

Thats the point of this thread. When all your important recruits play a year or two and you dont reload them every year or two, you risk having a year where all your role players become starters.

What is the point of this thread?

Just pointing out the attrition.

No negative motive here fellas, lol.

I'll take a four-year four-star player over a one-and-done five-star player every time.

I don't want to be in constant rebuilding mode, which is what happens when players consistently leave after one or two years. As ABD points out, that leaves you in a position in which one off year in recruiting can decimate you, and you're always counting on freshmen to come in and play a major role immediately, which even the highly touted players are not always able to do.

It's nice to see guys going to the NBA, and I certainly wish that for all our players, but I care more about what they do in Norman than in Memphis or Portland, so I want guys who are willing stick around for a while.

As I said above, two years for an exceptional talent like Blake, I can deal with. But no one-and-dones, please.

Last edited:
I don't mind a one and done every few years. I would not have minded if Blake would have left after his freshman year as I probably would have done the same thing if I were him. When you recruit elite players like that, more great players will follow.

I'll take a four-year four-star player over a one-and-done five-star player every time.

I don't want to be in constant rebuilding mode, which is what happens when players consistently leave after one or two years. As ABD points out, that leaves you in a position in which one off year in recruiting can decimate you, and you're always counting on freshmen to come in and play a major role immediately, which even the highly touted players are not always able to do.

It's nice to see guys going to the NBA, and I certainly wish that for all our players, but I care more about what they do in Norman than in Memphis or Portland, so I want guys who are willing stick around for a while.

As I said above, two years for an exceptional talent like Blake, I can deal with. But no one-and-dones, please.

Agreed.

I would not have minded if Blake would have left after his freshman year as I probably would have done the same thing if I were him. When you recruit elite players like that, more great players will follow.

I'd have minded greatly -- Blake had a really good freshman season but not a great one, and we'd have been hurting last season without him.

I'm not sure we won't be hurting a bit this season without him -- we'll see how the play in the paint comes together.

And I don't think you can ever count on recruiting remaining consistently top-notch, and that's no swipe at Coach Capel. It's a cyclical thing, and even the best coaches experience high and low points in recruiting.

We saw it under our previous two head coaches, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back