Capel, Tubbs and Sampson

Krugerfan52

Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw this stat out there. Interesting to me how close they are.

Capel, Tubbs and Sampson records through 120 games at OU.

Capel 80-40 (4-2 in NCAA)
Tubbs 79-41 (1-2 in NCAA) (3-1 NIT)
Sampson 78-42 (0-4 in NCAA)

The Big 12 is a lot better, especially the Big 12 south now then Sampson's first 2 years in the conference

Actually I believe Sampson's first 2 years were in the Big 8. Big 12 basketball didn't start until the 96-97 season.

Not to turn this into a big debate, but to me, comparisons like this don't tell you much. Coaches were hired at different points in their careers, the OU basketball program was in different places when each coach was hired. They inherited different rosters. They played in different conferences. College basketball in general has changed.

Actually I believe Sampson's first 2 years were in the Big 8. Big 12 basketball didn't start until the 96-97 season.

They were...that is why I said his first two years in the Big 12, not his first four years.

3192435737_6d81f4bb88.jpg

Lets not go down that road. That's pretty much the whole point of this thread is that after all the argueing we've done to compare the 3 coaches, through 120 games they are almost exactly the same.

80-40
79-41
78-42

Not much difference.

Just thought I'd throw this stat out there. Interesting to me how close they are.

Capel, Tubbs and Sampson records through 120 games at OU.

Capel 80-40 (4-2 in NCAA)
Tubbs 79-41 (1-2 in NCAA) (3-1 NIT)
Sampson 78-42 (0-4 in NCAA)

Thanks. I like stats like this.

Interesting.

Jeff was the most prepared to win in the NCAAs.

Kelvin had directed bigger regular season upsets, at this point though.

The only stat that matters to most in this age is NCAA wins.

No way. They are important, but certainly isn't all that matters.

Well, I post on two other college basketball boards which are "national" boards and that is pretty much what everyone cares about. Do you think KU fans thought their seasons were a "success" when they tied for the Big 12 titles but lost to Bradley and Bucknell in the first round of the NCAA tourney? The guys I've been talking to for years were beyond mad and thought the ending made their season's accomplishments shrink (that was just one example).

I shouldn't have said "only"....but winning in the NCAA tourney and producing NBA players are what recruits want and what most fans brag about.

And I said "to most"...that doesn't mean "everyone"

Show me a basketball team with more ethnically diverse coaches. heh

Well, I post on two other college basketball boards which are "national" boards and that is pretty much what everyone cares about. Do you think KU fans thought their seasons were a "success" when they tied for the Big 12 titles but lost to Bradley and Bucknell in the first round of the NCAA tourney? The guys I've been talking to for years were beyond mad and thought the ending made their season's accomplishments shrink (that was just one example).

I shouldn't have said "only"....but winning in the NCAA tourney and producing NBA players are what recruits want and what most fans brag about.

And that is the same short-sitedness that affects some of our football fans. OU, we were in the NC hunt, but lost (either before or in the NC game), thus going 12-1, winning the conference, ect is a "bad" season.

Go check some of the sites and sources that rank programs. Yes, NC's and NCAA Tourney game is success is a piece of the pie, but it isn't the entire piece. For all our struggles in the last decade, we still show up as a top 15 program due to our consistent regular seasons, the occassional run the Dance, and our Big 12 Tourney success.

To each their own, I just don't understand how fans could take making the tournament, finishing in the top 3-4 of the conference, and always being competitive for granted. I know I sure don't.....now more than ever.

And that is the same short-sitedness that affects some of our football fans. OU, we were in the NC hunt, but lost (either before or in the NC game), thus going 12-1, winning the conference, ect is a "bad" season.

Go check some of the sites and sources that rank programs. Yes, NC's and NCAA Tourney game is success is a piece of the pie, but it isn't the entire piece. For all our struggles in the last decade, we still show up as a top 15 program due to our consistent regular seasons, the occassional run the Dance, and our Big 12 Tourney success.

To each their own, I just don't understand how fans could take making the tournament, finishing in the top 3-4 of the conference, and always being competitive for granted. I know I sure don't.....now more than ever.

I agree to an extent (but the football analogy doesn't hold as much water because of the lack of a tourney, so conference titles mean more)...since college basketball has a season ending tourney, the season is about getting to the tourney and winning it. Heck, winning the regular season title in your conference gets you NOTHING (except in the Ivy League)...the league tourney is more important because it is an automatic bid (especially for the small conferences).

And yes, the regular season success and occasional NCAA run have made OU a top 15 program, but more NCAA runs puts OU in the top 10.

Which season is better IYO

24-8, 3rd in the Big 12, and first round loss in the NCAA tourney

23-9, 4th in the Big 12, and 1-1 in the NCAA tourney.

IMO, give me the 2nd season.

What about Sampson's first year (#4 NCAA seed but first round loss) compared to his 5th year (#13 seed) when OU barely made the tourney and then made it to the Sweet 16. Which season were you more happy about?

tu is right. The programs were in different places when each coach took over. That's what makes Coach Capel's record impressive. He took over a program that was in a mess. So I agree with tu. Coach Capel had more of a challenge than the other two coaches. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:)

tu is right. The programs were in different places when each coach took over. That's what makes Coach Capel's record impressive. He took over a program that was in a mess. So I agree with tu. Coach Capel had more of a challenge than the other two coaches. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:)

That is one opinion.....

Back