Capel, Tubbs and Sampson

You're right, but it's an opinion that a lot of people agree with. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:ez-roll:

You're right, but it's an opinion that a lot of people agree with. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:ez-roll:

Doesn't mean you can support it with facts.

I actually think Tubbs might have taken over the "worst" program of those three coaches. There is more to the program than one recruiting class, and the lame word "probation". OU is still a household name, and that didn't change.

Let's see. You want facts. Did Coach Tubbs or Sampson have to deal with scholarships being taken away? No need to go on an on. Most of the top basketball minds in the country know what Coach Capel has done. By the way there are plenty of schools that would like to take him off Oklahoma's hands, but it won't be happening. I guess you'll just have to put up with our wonderful young coach for a while. I look forward to reading your OPINIONS. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:ez-laugh:

Let's see. You want facts. Did Coach Tubbs or Sampson have to deal with scholarships being taken away? No need to go on an on. Most of the top basketball minds in the country know what Coach Capel has done. By the way there are plenty of schools that would like to take him off Oklahoma's hands, but it won't be happening. I guess you'll just have to put up with our wonderful young coach for a while. I look forward to reading your OPINIONS. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:ez-laugh:

LOL.....we lost one scholarship, and Capel didn't even fill one or two other OPEN ones that he had. So that excuse is invalid.

Might check around. Capel isn't as much of a can't miss, up-and-comer as he was last year. Sure, some of the experts are saying we're young, but plenty have been criticizing him as well.

Put up with? I've never suggested he leave. Next year however, will be telling. If we miss the Dance this year and next, I think a bunch of fans are going to be calling for just that. Not saying it'll happen though. OU doesn't miss the NCAA Tourney 3 out of 5 years. Regardless of the situation.

LOL.....we lost one scholarship, and Capel didn't even fill one or two other OPEN ones that he had. So that excuse is invalid.

Might check around. Capel isn't as much of a can't miss, up-and-comer as he was last year. Sure, some of the experts are saying we're young, but plenty have been criticizing him as well.

Put up with? I've never suggested he leave. Next year however, will be telling. If we miss the Dance this year and next, I think a bunch of fans are going to be calling for just that. Not saying it'll happen though. OU doesn't miss the NCAA Tourney 3 out of 5 years. Regardless of the situation.

Give it up man. Your points on this subject are so redundant and old. It gets kind of sad.

Capelfan,

I see three really good coaches in a row. Its been a great ride for OU basketball....

Doesn't mean you can support it with facts.

I actually think Tubbs might have taken over the "worst" program of those three coaches. There is more to the program than one recruiting class, and the lame word "probation". OU is still a household name, and that didn't change.

This is probably the most accurate statement. The program imo was worse off when Billy took over. That's not to discount what Sampson and Capel have done, but imo Billy really laid the groundwork and the other two have done a good job in sustaining what he started. I'll be honest though I grew up with Billy, so he will likely always be my favorite, but I appreciate the job Kelvin did and I appreciate what Jeff has done thus far.

wow craziness. I haven't been able to post much on this board, due to life getting a bit hectic, but on the old board I rarely agreed with TU. This is twice in one thread. I've heard many people lately put Capel a step above Quin Snyder and while I don't agree with that, I can somewhat see their point. The point being how have his OU teams done without the all world Blake Griffin. The answer is they haven't lived up to OU history. TU is right, OU should be a fixture in the NCAA tourney. They have been for most of our entire lives and there is no reason for that to change.

Give it up man. Your points on this subject are so redundant and old. It gets kind of sad.

You are funny. You pump Capel until you are blue in the face. We fall FLAT on our faces, and at the lowest point, you finally start questioning him. We start playing a little better, and boom, the man can do know wrong, and the sky is the limit.

I expect more than what I've seen. Next year will be very telling. And I think you can tell from the JUCO recruiting, and just hearing Capel speak that he is in full-fledged, panic, I better do something mode. Which he should be. You can't keep missing the Dance, and postseason play all together at OU. We as fans won't stand for that.

You are funny. You pump Capel until you are blue in the face. We fall FLAT on our faces, and at the lowest point, you finally start questioning him. We start playing a little better, and boom, the man can do know wrong, and the sky is the limit.

I expect more than what I've seen. Next year will be very telling. And I think you can tell from the JUCO recruiting, and just hearing Capel speak that he is in full-fledged, panic, I better do something mode. Which he should be. You can't keep missing the Dance, and postseason play all together at OU. We as fans won't stand for that.

Correction my man. I pump OU basketball until I am blue in the face. It has nothing to do with Capel.

We fans? When do you go to games? What do you do for the program? I wish you would just cheer for TU.

Your hyperbole in these sort of threads and your grouping of OU fans as if you are the pulse of the fanbase is what is ridiculous.

Correction my man. I pump OU basketball until I am blue in the face. It has nothing to do with Capel.

I disagree. Yes, you are an OU basketball fan, but I think you've also felt like that "forces" you to support Capel to a level he may not have earned yet. I don't buy into the "he's the OU coach, you have to love him." I like Capel, I see the potential, I've also been very disappointed, and I'm not sure, either way, that he'll live up to that potential. He might. He might now. I love Stoops. I didn't like Blake. I'm not a big Galloway fan. I can seperate the two.

Pimp OU basketball all you want, I'll be in line right behind you. We have a GREAT history. One NC.....either in '88 or '02, and we're probably a top 10 program over the last 25 years. That is why I'm upset with our current situation. I think we should have a better product on the floor. That's it.

We fans? When do you go to games? What do you do for the program? I wish you would just cheer for TU.

Your hyperbole in these sort of threads and your grouping of OU fans as if you are the pulse of the fanbase is what is ridiculous.

I'm alot closer to a normal OU basketball fan than you.

I can't make many games, given what I do for a living. Up until last year, I went to one or two every year. Don't question me being a fan. You were probably in diapers when I was spending hours on the first OU message boards where hoops were discussed.

I disagree. Yes, you are an OU basketball fan, but I think you've also felt like that "forces" you to support Capel to a level he may not have earned yet. I don't buy into the "he's the OU coach, you have to love him." I like Capel, I see the potential, I've also been very disappointed, and I'm not sure, either way, that he'll live up to that potential. He might. He might now. I love Stoops. I didn't like Blake. I'm not a big Galloway fan. I can seperate the two.

Pimp OU basketball all you want, I'll be in line right behind you. We have a GREAT history. One NC.....either in '88 or '02, and we're probably a top 10 program over the last 25 years. That is why I'm upset with our current situation. I think we should have a better product on the floor. That's it.
What level has he not earned yet?
Is this year a step back and it is upsetting but didn't his team just go to the elite eight in only his third season as a coach?

Did your support level for Sampson change after his first Sweet Sixteen appearance and change again after the final four trip or what?

What level has he not earned yet?
Is this year a step back and it is upsetting but didn't his team just go to the elite eight in only his third season as a coach?

Did your support level for Sampson change after his first Sweet Sixteen appearance and change again after the final four trip or what?

There were rumblings on campus and with boosters about Sampson before the upset of Zona and the run to the Sweet 16.

Not sure I like the term "level of support", but yes. I wasn't a huge Sampson fan at first. I liked his personality alot, seemed like a straight shooter, but I thought he could have hired a bigger name. Someone that didn't need several seasons to get the name recognition needed to recruit down here. But he proved himself. He put a good product on the floor. He made OU a team that nobody wanted to play. He earned the right to miss the tourney the one year he did. To me.....and this is just me.....Capel hasn't earned this season. And since next year doesn't look much better, if we're blaming youth and inexperience for our record, I'm worried. I'm worried that Capel is going to have a bunch of very mediocre teams, and the occassional great one. That isn't fun to me. It isn't fun sitting home when other teams are Dancing.

But to answer your question again, yes, as a coach earns my support, I'm more lenient to seasons like this.

What does this even mean?

Seriously? It means most OU fans aren't current students, one year removed from helping start up a student support group, or whatever you want to call it.

I'm not knocking what he is, just saying that isn't the "normal" OU fan.

This thread is really becoming weak. That being said I think missing the tourney this year AND next would be unacceptable and I would start to ask some hard questions. I don't think that's going to be an issue, though.

Seriously? It means most OU fans aren't current students, one year removed from helping start up a student support group, or whatever you want to call it.

I'm not knocking what he is, just saying that isn't the "normal" OU fan.

When it comes to OU basketball, the alums make up a MUCH larger base of the hardcore fans than football

Him being an alum is closer to the "normal" OU fan than yourself.

Back