Capel was just on the radio (Animal) Notes

Who do you see making the immediate impact? Osby? Do you think the improvement will come because some guys make the leap from years one to two and from years two to three?

Both of the above 04. Osby and Goff fill our main void which is size and athleticism. Clark, Newell, CJ Washington, Tyler Neal & Blair should definitely take a step forward. Pledge & Fitz are going to be juniors and have proven to be Big XII caliber players.

So what Capel says makes perfect sense. What we have is close and when looking at where we could use additional help it's at PG and more size. I think he feels good about Pledger/Newell at the 2 playing a little point. Blair playing the point but he wants another fulltime point to go with Blair.

We will have more size next year but really will only have 2 true big men in Fitz & Goff.

There are 2 ways to build top 20 teams in NCAA basketball. You either lean on getting McDonalds AA/NBA caliber players every year where you have a freshman or soph who is your best player every year and you compliment them with 4 year role players. There is big risk with this roadmap because you miss a year or two on those guys and your role players are you leading players. Only Kansas & Texas are able to pull off this roadmap in the Big XII. To Capels credit he was pulling it off but the risk reared it's head and we know what happened.

So now we are using the other roadmap. Getting a guy or two each year just below the McDonalds AA/NBA level and letting them develop into college stars when they are upper classmen. Complimenting them with role players and plugging the gap with junior college talent. It takes a couple years to convert but we are almost there.

This talk about Capel not knowing what he is doing or knowing how to coach is just BS.

They've played 14 games so far this year. The strength of the schedule according to KenPom is 262 out of 345 possible. That means they are in the bottom 25% of teams in schedule strength.

The teams they have played in order of rank according to Pom:

Kentucky 5
Arizona 16
Cincy 26
Arkansas 89
Virginia 102
ORU 160
Texas Southern 269
Coppin State 277
Gardner Webb 292
NC Central 314
Central Arkansas 321
Sacramento State 334
Maryland Eastern-Shore 338
chaminade (not ranked D-2)

The only teams headed to the tourney from that group are Kentucky and Arizona at this point. I think Cincy will melt when they start Big East play and probably end up an NIT team, but they could get there. So, 2 maybe 3 teams they played in the non-con will advance to the NCAA. 8 games vs teams that rank 269 (out of 345). That's weak.

Since when is playing 3 top 30 teams away from home in pre season an easy schedule? Please list me the other teams who have done this. OSU has played zero top 30 teams.

Both of the above 04. Osby and Goff fill our main void which is size and athleticism. Clark, Newell, CJ Washington, Tyler Neal & Blair should definitely take a step forward. Pledge & Fitz are going to be juniors and have proven to be Big XII caliber players.

So what Capel says makes perfect sense. What we have is close and when looking at where we could use additional help it's at PG and more size. I think he feels good about Pledger/Newell at the 2 playing a little point. Blair playing the point but he wants another fulltime point to go with Blair.

We will have more size next year but really will only have 2 true big men in Fitz & Goff.

There are 2 ways to build top 20 teams in NCAA basketball. You either lean on getting McDonalds AA/NBA caliber players every year where you have a freshman or soph who is your best player every year and you compliment them with 4 year role players. There is big risk with this roadmap because you miss a year or two on those guys and your role players are you leading players. Only Kansas & Texas are able to pull off this roadmap in the Big XII. To Capels credit he was pulling it off but the risk reared it's head and we know what happened.

So now we are using the other roadmap. Getting a guy or two each year just below the McDonalds AA/NBA level and letting them develop into college stars when they are upper classmen. Complimenting them with role players and plugging the gap with junior college talent. It takes a couple years to convert but we are almost there.

This talk about Capel not knowing what he is doing or knowing how to coach is just BS.

Haha, who has developed into a college star? Who do we have that is just below the Mcd's AA? Only one I can think of is Cam Clark...he is developing nicely but im not sure we have seen a star in anyone just yet

Say he does develop to a star...what about all the other crappy signees capel took?

Since when is playing 3 top 30 teams away from home in pre season an easy schedule? Please list me the other teams who have done this. OSU has played zero top 30 teams.

I would say 10 out of the 14 games, those teams not being in the top 100 doesnt exactly say a strong schedule

Capel isn't shy about stating his best player isn't eligible this year. One has to wonder if he's just saying that to get an extra year?

Yeah, Capel has a diabolical mind and will do whatever it takes to get an extra year. But his schemes don't fool us, do they BOB? ;)

I think this is the weakest out of conference schedule I can remember at OU. Maybe the weakest since one of Sampson's early teams. I remember looking through the schedule and seeing 10 or 11 wins on our schedule going into the season. We lost to Chaminade, Virginia, Arkansas, and I think it was Cincy who I thought we could win.

Unlike you, boca, I don't care what OSU is doing. They are of no concern to me.

The only team I care about is OU and candy-coat however you want, but that is a weak non-con schedule. I'll even go one step further, it would have been weaker if it weren't for the Pac 10/Big 12 challenge game vs Arizona and the Maui tournament. No way we could get out of the Zona game since the conference set that up and no way to get out of the Maui tournament in April when our roster imploded.

Even with Maui. We got hammered by a bad Virginia team and Chaminade. That's just an epic fail.

Yeah, Capel has a diabolical mind and will do whatever it takes to get an extra year. But his schemes don't fool us, do they BOB? ;)

I'm sure you've already figured out one has to get up pretty early in the morning to pull one over on old booger. :ez-laugh:

You guys are so right Zona is a joke and has never been good in basketball. Also Kentucky is terrible, Terrence Jones is one of the worse freshman ever.

You guys are so right Zona is a joke and has never been good in basketball. Also Kentucky is terrible, Terrence Jones is one of the worse freshman ever.
Who said those teams are terrible? How about the rest of the schedule.

Who said those teams are terrible? How about the rest of the schedule.

No they really suck, because if OU beats them they were a cupcake school and if OU doesn't beat them they just suck. I am with you that no one OU has played is worth a flying flip. Everyone else has not played easy school like OU, they all have played harder schedules, other schools in the Big 12 easiest game was better than OU's hardest game. I am with you.

I've got to admit, your points make me feel a little better about how things are going. I can get really down when I see us tied at 39 with directional shore schools from the east coast.

I'm afraid we're really going to miss Taylor. He was, in my opinion, another one of those guys just below the elite level who could become a REALLY good four-year player.

My real concern going forward is Fitzgerald. He has shown himself to have a solid offensive game, sure, but he has also shown himself to be a woeful rebounder and has a mind-boggling inability to stay on the floor. I imagine eATMe will be going right at him early and often on Saturday.

I do have one other concern: I'd like to see Neal play more. What could it hurt?

Never could figure out just how to say it, but Boca's comments are consistent with my opinions.

I think jeff is and will take a new and different approach to recruiting and I think he is a good coach. So, given time, I think he will turn it around. However, I understand everyone's frustration, and just couldn't argue with the opinion that if he doesn't return us to a solid tournament team by next year, we need to consider replacing him.

I think he is still going to try an "cherry pick" a great player or two, and to do this you do have to gamble your time and money, but I think he is also going to give more focus on kids he can get from Oklahoma and Texas.

What do we do or have we done to say oh he's done a great job coaching there. In other words can anyone really explain our style of play?

Who on this board (other than Boca who is an obvious troll and doesn't count) has said he has done a "great" job? I think even the most ardent Capel supporters have admitted or would admit that he has done a poor job the last year year and a half. The difference is that there are some that believe he can turn it around, there are some that HOPE he can turn it around, and then there are those who are convinced he CAN'T turn it around.

here we go again...

No "Here we go again" for the "Capel is a good coach" statement?

Given the results of his five years at OU, I think it's fair to ask anyone who states that he's a good coach to explain their stance. I wish I thought of him as a good coach -- I feel maddeningly neutral about his coaching abilities, not sold either way, for or against -- and I'd love to have someone convince me he's the bee's knees.

But like others have said, we've yet to see a system from him, a philosophy, an approach that he seems to believe in. He's been touting a running game, for example, since the day he set foot in Norman, but that's never materialized.

I wish I knew what he believed in as a coach or had a clue what "Jeff Capel Basketball" would look like. We can easily sum up Tubbs' and Sampson's respective approaches to the game, but couldn't begin to describe Capel's.

After nearly five years, that's worrisome.

Back