Capel was just on the radio (Animal) Notes

I think this is the weakest out of conference schedule I can remember at OU. Maybe the weakest since one of Sampson's early teams. I remember looking through the schedule and seeing 10 or 11 wins on our schedule going into the season. We lost to Chaminade, Virginia, Arkansas, and I think it was Cincy who I thought we could win.

Kentucky is obviously a Very tough team.
Virginia not so tough...
Playing Virginia in the Maui tourney on the 2nd night...Very tough
Chaminade sucks
Playing Chaminade in the Maui tourney on the 3rd straight night...tough
at Ark tough
at Zona very tough
Playing an undefeated Cincy team...Very Tough.

As for the other schools...Theres not one BCS school that doesn't load up their schedules against these type of teams.

Of course we have seen a system and philosophy from Capel. The most proven performing system of alltime. You get NBA caliber McDonalds AAs and you out talent people. How do you think North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Kentucky win? duh. Their system is based on elite athletes.

Capel used this system and took us to the Elite 8 and had 2 more of them coming in. Well to run this system you have to keep em coming. And when they stop coming or don;t pan out you are in trouble.

Now he is in the process of shifting to another system. Where you focus on 4 year players with a chip on their shoulder. You will NEVER EVER win a title with this system but you will win 20+ games and make the tourney all the time. That is the system that is easily attained at OU and he will attain. Give the guy time to shift his strategy.

But for people who can't even play the game to be saying they have questions about whether the guy who was selected to coach TEAM USA U18 can coach or not ... that is just idiotic.

So, why does everybody think boca is a troll? Because he doesn't carry a torch and a pitchfork?

So, why does everybody think boca is a troll? Because he doesn't carry a torch and a pitchfork?

It's easier to call me a troll than to respond to my points. Notice nobody has listed the other teams who have played 3 top 30 teams on the road in non conference? It's much easier to ignore that and just say we have played an easy schedule.

Of course we have seen a system and philosophy from Capel. The most proven performing system of alltime. You get NBA caliber McDonalds AAs and you out talent people. How do you think North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Kentucky win? duh. Their system is based on elite athletes.

Capel used this system and took us to the Elite 8 and had 2 more of them coming in. Well to run this system you have to keep em coming. And when they stop coming or don;t pan out you are in trouble.

Now he is in the process of shifting to another system. Where you focus on 4 year players with a chip on their shoulder. You will NEVER EVER win a title with this system but you will win 20+ games and make the tourney all the time. That is the system that is easily attained at OU and he will attain. Give the guy time to shift his strategy.

But for people who can't even play the game to be saying they have questions about whether the guy who was selected to coach TEAM USA U18 can coach or not ... that is just idiotic.

I don't care if he coached the olympic team to a gold medal as that has no bearing on the fact he's working on his 3rd losing season in 5 years at a school who hadn't had a losing season in almost 40 years.

Quin Snyder ran that same Duke system and what happened to him? He landed Mizzou on probation, he had multiple losing seasons, and he was fired. I'd prefer to not run the Duke system unless we hired Coach K to come and run it himself. Besides, Capel never coached for Krzyzewski. He's said many times he patterns himself after his dad who never really won anything of note. I know ODU fired him some years back.

The system you say works and that he was running landed us a 13-18 season last year. I'd say that system is broken.

It's easier to call me a troll than to respond to my points. Notice nobody has listed the other teams who have played 3 top 30 teams on the road in non conference? It's much easier to ignore that and just say we have played an easy schedule.

I didn't realize we played Kentucky in Lexington? I could have swore I saw both coaches wearing Hawaiian shirts with a lei around their necks... :facepalm

Snyder had 1 full losing season was fired in the middle of a second losing season. He didn't have multiple losing seasons.

As of right now Capel has only had 1 losing season also.

Snyder had 1 full losing season was fired in the middle of a second losing season. He didn't have multiple losing seasons.

As of right now Capel has only had 1 losing season also.

He didn't have multiple losing seasons because Mizzou fired him in the middle of his 2nd losing season. It ended up being a losing season, so I think it's fair to say he had 2 losing seasons.

Because in quite a few of his posts he deliberately makes over the top inflammatory statements that are quite obviously designed to do nothing more than just inflame those that read it and elicit a reciprocal response. I'm not saying I totally disregard anything he has to say, but I do think to a certain extent he's simply playing a "character" just to try to stir up controversy.

Who are the 3 top 30 teams that OU played on the road? http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/polls?poll=1

Kentucky was a nuetral court and is currently ranked 10. Cinci was in OKC (but technically a nuetral court) and is currently ranked 24. According to this http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/teams/oae only Kentucky was ranked when OU played them.

Today only Kentucky and Cinci are ranked. The only true road games were Arkansas and Arizona. OU has not even played three road games let alone three road games against Top 30 teams.

I don't care if he coached the olympic team to a gold medal as that has no bearing on the fact he's working on his 3rd losing season in 5 years at a school who hadn't had a losing season in almost 40 years.
We went 9-18 in 1981.

And people called abd a troll too. Why? Because he's not happy with the direction of the program? People, we're not very good! There are going to be those who expect better.

Me, personally, I love OU BBall above all else and I think it's dead. Buried. Gone. Amongst the worms in the dirt. This is a sad episode, and I'm not sure the credits are ever going to roll.

Last edited:

KSU (both are "road" games as you define it vs top 30 per kenpom):
Duke in KC
Florida in Miami
UNLV in KC
Gonzaga (ranked 37)

Texas:
Illinois
Pitt
Michigan State
North Carolina

Washington:
Kentucky
Michigan State
aTm

Illinois:
Texas
Maryland
Mizzou

Need I go on?

Sure, OU played 3 good teams away from home, but what is the overall schedule strength? It's in the lower third of all basketball teams. Candy coat it all you want, it's a bad schedule.

:clap

You make a pretty good argument for a troll, boca.

We went 9-18 in 1981.

And people called abd a troll too. Why? Because he's not happy with the direction of the program? People, we're not very good! There are going to be those who expect better.

Me, personally, I love OU BBall above all else and I think it's dead. Buried. Gone. Amongst the worms in the dirt. This is a sad episode, and I'm not sure the credits are ever going to roll.

Come on, 04: Not very good? The gospel truth. Dead? Hardly.

I go to a bunch of games. People always say "attendance has always been bad" but it has never been this bad. The Thunder are siphoning (sp?) fans from us every day. I also don't think we have an Administration that cares much about putting out a winner.

But these are rants for another day.

But yes, I think it's dead.

OKC's NBA franchise has indeed had a negative effect on OU's home attendance. That's likely to continue as long as OU puts an inferior product on the floor. But fans will return if and when the Sooners start winning again.

That likely won't happen this season, but I believe there's a good chance that better times are ahead for the Capel-coached Sooners. Of course, if he's unable to start turning this thing around by next year, it will probably be time for Capel to find another job.

Because in quite a few of his posts he deliberately makes over the top inflammatory statements that are quite obviously designed to do nothing more than just inflame those that read it and elicit a reciprocal response. I'm not saying I totally disregard anything he has to say, but I do think to a certain extent he's simply playing a "character" just to try to stir up controversy.

:clap

I go to a bunch of games. People always say "attendance has always been bad" but it has never been this bad. The Thunder are siphoning (sp?) fans from us every day. I also don't think we have an Administration that cares much about putting out a winner.

But these are rants for another day.

But yes, I think it's dead.
If we had a watchable form of basketball attendance would be much better. The problem is this style isn't even watchable. If Kelvin's style was slow and unwatchable this is even worse than that. Other than being a true Sooner I have no idea why anyone would watch OU basketball on TV right now. That's seriously how bad they are. And I don't remember it being this bad in any time in my life. Now I'm 26 years old and the worst seasons I remember were probably the last couple under Tubbs before Capel and those teams were still pretty fun to watch.

I don't think the Thunder have much to do with attendance being so low. If OU basketball were a good brand of ball and were a top 20 team like we have been the last 20 something hears before Capel we would probably hear it some games against the bad teams that really don't matter. We had attendance threads in the past when there was about 6-8k for games when we had no NBA team. But to me it's all about what the team is doing. And frankly I'm not sure why anyone would pay to see this bunch on a regular basis. Just like last years group.

Back