Coach Capel radio interview (with recap)

Re: Coach on with Al shortly...

I don't think he is on until 7. Usually Rhode is on from 6-7, not that I know Al's schedule or anything like that. Everyone knows its not cool to the listen to the sports animal

I am starting to think it will be 7ish as well.

Yeah it seems that way. They haven't promoed it yet.

Eschbach just said 7:05.

JC calling out the guys! I love it!!!

JC calling out the guys! I love it!!!

Yeah. I don't think he likes it, but he obviously is in a position where he has to play the bad guy to get his players to give enough effort.

someone who is close to the area should call in and ask about bigs that we are recruiting

Here is what I could get typing as fast as I could. I missed some stuff in the middle of each question, but this is a good portion of it.

On Alaska (assorted quotes)

"It wasn't a good experience for the Sooners, man."

"We have a long way to go as a team."

"Should've played a few more home games before going to Alaska, but didn't have the time. (Said tournament was set in stone before he got there).

On the defense

"It's been something that's been very surprising to me...just how poor we are defensively. It's a lot of different things, a lot of different reasons why. The main reason is focus and want-to."

On if any of the freshmen played defense in high school

"Probably not. I can speak for me, I know I didn't. Tiny didn't and Tommy didn't. Pledger and Drew did a little bit. It's something that's foreign to them. I think what's happened is that those guys are working hard, but it's nowhere near how hard they need to work. This trip to Alaska has opened their eyes."

On why Willie didn't play against Nicholls State

"It was just a situation where Willie did not practice on Friday the day prior to Nicholls State. And because he didn't practice, I didn't play him.

On how to turn around the defensive performance

"The main thing is being able to practice."

(He went on to talk about how their schedule hasn't been consistent because of the closeness of the games together and travel.)

"We've been able to come back and have two good practices, so hopefully that translates into improvement."

On Rotnei Clarke

"The best shooter, the absolute best. There's no one in college basketball, maybe not in the word, shooting the ball like he is. It's pretty mind-boggling when every defense is geared to stop him and not let him shoot three's."

On if Warren will guard Clarke

"There will be times when Willie's guarding him, and we'll give him some different looks." (He said more on this, but I wasn't quick enough to type it up)

On the positives this season

"Not many, to be honest with you (laughs). I think Steven Pledger's done a good job. That's something that's been a little bit surprising. I think Tiny has been good, but he can do more. The kid's a freshman and he's averaging (missed exactly what he said here) but in my mind if he really went after it and got physical and changes his approach, he's a guy that could be averaging 17 and 14 right now."

On Tommy-Mason Griffin

"Gotta value the ball better. Gotta play with more energy all of the time. I think those guys are too cool sometimes. Cool is diving on the floor, cool is taking a charge and diving for loose balls. That's cool to me. I think some of our guys have the wrong idea of what's cool." (Again, said more but I missed it)

On Tony Crocker

"Been good at times, but we need him to be more consistent. Tony, Willie and Cade are three intrical parts of a team that went to an Elite Eight. They need to be consistent with how they work, how they carry themselves. (Went on to talk about how those three have been through the wars and need to help the younger guys get through this. Talked about Tony having experience on the team that struggled when he was a freshman.)

On if he'll talk to Bob Knight when he comes to town for Big Monday

"He probably won't talk to me (laughs)."

* Said Blake has reached out and talked to some of the players on the team.

I missed a bunch of other stuff. Sorry.

Thanks a bunch, OUH!

One other thing that I found interesting (and I am going to have to paraphrase):

- mentioned that he knew that the team had played poor defense in the exhibition win and in the win over MSM. The staff tried address some of the issues and explain to the new guys how important it was and how much harder that they needed to work. The problem was that with the ranking and all the praise getting heaped onto the freshmen by blogs and their peers that it took losing the games in Alaska to finally get them to open their eyes and to understand.

* Said Blake has reached out and talked to some of the players on the team.

I bet Blake wanted to do more than 'reach out and talk' to some of the players on the team. ;)

Thought it was funny when Al asked why Willie didn't play, Coach kind of chuckled and said something along the lines of knowing that Al would definitely ask about it.

Coach also talked about what he needs from Willie; needs him to be a leader and an example on and off the floor, that TMG and Tiny are here because of Willie and that a lot of the guys look to Willie because he is the popular one, the one everybody talks about.

OUHoops touched on a lot of it; good write up BTW.

A couple other tidbits I can remember; Al said that teams been hitting a lot of 3's against us, and Coach responded that teams have been hitting a lot of shots against us period, also that giving up so many offensive boards has contributed; how he's always felt that it is the optimum time to take 3's is after an offensive rebound.
And, Coach said it's not an excuse, but San Diego and Houston both had much older more experienced guards and that the team didn't adjust very well.

He also thinks that the biggest thing he needs from the younger players is to grow, not so much in experience and age, but in maturity.

Hope most of that's right.

Thanks a bunch, OUH!

One other thing that I found interesting (and I am going to have to paraphrase):

- mentioned that he knew that the team had played poor defense in the exhibition win and in the win over MSM. The staff tried address some of the issues and explain to the new guys how important it was and how much harder that they needed to work. The problem was that with the ranking and all the praise getting heaped onto the freshmen by blogs and their peers that it took losing the games in Alaska to finally get them to open their eyes and to understand.

Thanks BT; couldn't remember that part.

someone who is close to the area should call in and ask about bigs that we are recruiting

Why he can't say anything? I am sure he would not make a mistake and comment but why would a fan even want to put him in that position.

Thanks BT; couldn't remember that part.

Thanks for adding your stuff as well. I think we about nailed it between you, me and OUH.

- He called Cam and TJ both "really good kids". I got that impression as well after watching the video interview that they did with Henzo.

The problem was that with the ranking and all the praise getting heaped onto the freshmen by blogs and their peers that it took losing the games in Alaska to finally get them to open their eyes and to understand.

Told ya we need the posters who bring the negativity!

On if any of the freshmen played defense in high school

"Probably not. I can speak for me, I know I didn't. Tiny didn't and Tommy didn't. Pledger and Drew did a little bit. It's something that's foreign to them. I think what's happened is that those guys are working hard, but it's nowhere near how hard they need to work. This trip to Alaska has opened their eyes."

If I remember correctly he wasn't talking about defense generally, but the zone defense when he said that.

If I remember correctly he wasn't talking about defense generally, but the zone defense when he said that.

How have they not played zone defense?
Don't you learn zone pretty much before you really learn man-to-man in little league?

Obviously, running the zone when you're 12 is different than running the zone when you're 18, but jeez...

Back