Coach Gregg Marshall on WSU’s loss to OU

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
Some interesting comments by Coach Marshall in the 9 minute video.

Gregg Marshall on WSU’s loss to OU
http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article190196504.html

Coach Gregg Marshall could have picked a number of things to be upset with following Oklahoma’s 91-83 victory over No. 3 Wichita State on Saturday at Intrust Bank Arena.

WSU had given up 90 points for just the fourth time in his 11 years, which led to just the second loss in 89 games when WSU has scored at least 80 points. The Shockers gave up 13 three-pointers, which led to a career-high 21 points for OU freshman Brady Manek. And Trae Young was at the center of it all, scoring 29 points and handing out 10 assists to power the Sooners.

But the play that stuck out in Marshall’s mind didn’t come during the game. It was when there was a timeout and 7-foot freshman Asbjorn Midtgaard barreled into Marshall’s shoulder.

“I’m 16 weeks post-shoulder surgery and I’m walking out, giving some low-fives and high-fives and Asbjorn Midtgaard runs into me and just crushes my shoulder,” Marshall said. “I was mad at a lot of things, but I was really mad at that because he could have hurt my shoulder. He’s so big and so strong. It was just one of those days.”

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article190196504.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
From the same article ...

OU also pulls of upset in rebounding battle — Wichita State led the country in rebounding margin, in part because it chased down close to 35 percent of its own misses. Up against an OU team that ranked right in the middle of Division I in tracking its own misses and giving up offensive rebounds, WSU should have had the advantage.

But the Sooners held WSU to nine offensive rebounds (22 percent), as both teams finished with 43 total rebounds. OU had the slightly better percentages, as it grabbed 11 offensive rebounds (24 percent).

“It was a five-man effort,” OU coach Lon Kruger said. “They’re a terrific rebounding club. Our guys knew that all week, we prepared for it. I thought we did a pretty good job of sending five guys to the boards. We gave up a few long rebounds, but Wichita State is great at it. I have a lot of respect for Wichita State.”

WSU senior Shaquille Morris said OU taking 40 three-pointers played a role in the rebounding battle.

“They took a lot of long shots, so there were a lot of long rebounds,” Morris said. “We’ve just got to chase them down. Rebounding is what we do and we usually pull in more possessions for our team to get that win. It just didn’t work out today.”

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article190196504.html#storylink=cpy

the first and second half were completely different games. he's talking about the first half. they all know Lon took the air out in the second half.

the first and second half were completely different games. he's talking about the first half. they all know Lon took the air out in the second half.

Let them babble all they want. We won they didn't.

I listened to the replay of his press conf this morning. He gave OU some credit which was nice. The part about his shoulder was kind of bizarre, particularly calling out the specific player who bumped him. He probably didn’t mean anything by it but it was difficult to tell by the way he said it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I listened to the replay of his press conf this morning. He gave OU some credit which was nice. The part about his shoulder was kind of bizarre, particularly calling out the specific player who bumped him. He probably didn’t mean anything by it but it was difficult to tell by the way he said it.

I assume he referenced it and called him out because he realized his reaction may have seemed bizarre.

I remember that point - Their team is jacked up at the swing of momentum in their favor and several players came off the bench to high five / jump into the players coming off the court. It was obvious Midtgaard accidentally hit Marshall, but Marshall went ballistic, really going after him and appearing to cuss him out. I was really surprised by Marshall's reaction.

I assume he referenced it and called him out because he realized his reaction may have seemed bizarre.

I remember that point - Their team is jacked up at the swing of momentum in their favor and several players came off the bench to high five / jump into the players coming off the court. It was obvious Midtgaard accidentally hit Marshall, but Marshall went ballistic, really going after him and appearing to cuss him out. I was really surprised by Marshall's reaction.

Completely in character for Marshall.

That guy is a spaz. He was having meltdown after meltdown over on the sidelines.

My Shocker friends have had little to say....

They blame every loss on the officials but couldn't yesterday. They thought Trae was "okay" but nothing more coming into the game yesterday.

Lol.

I hope his lunatic wife was up to her usual antics.

Last edited:
My Shocker friends have had little to say....

They blame every loss on the officials but couldn't yesterday. They thought Trae was "okay" but nothing more coming into the game yesterday.

meh. I read their message board last night and they were full of praise for Trae and OU. They were very knowledgeable fans too.

meh. I read their message board last night and they were full of praise for Trae and OU. They were very knowledgeable fans too.

This was before the game, I haven't heard anything since the game.

I saw him get pissed at the kid but it was a total accident by the player who was simply trying to pump up his team. Marshall totally overacted imo and acted like a little b!tch, like he does a lot of the time on the sidelines during the game.

He's a good coach, but I personally don't care for him.

I saw it happen live and was wondering why he lost his ****

Gregg marshal is an ass though. So I’m not surprised this is what he is hung up on. It was clearly and accident

I was at the game and both walking out from the arena and at the restaurant afterwards, WSU fans congratulated us on the win and commented on how good we were. They were all very nice.

Marshall is calm, cool and collected compared to his wife

Back