Defensive schemes for tonight

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
I wonder what kind of defense that Coach Capel will have the Sooners in tonight? One would think that it would be unlikely for OU to stay in that zone with a shooter like Rotnei, so it got me thinking about possibly seeing a box and one type configuration with Willie, Cade, and Crock all getting chances to chase the sharpshooter through screens.

I guess if we were to stay in the zone that a 3-1-1 or 1-3-1 type set-up work better for covering the perimeter than the traditional 2-3.

I personally am hoping to see a lot of man, so that getting defensive rebounds becomes easier.

I would also like to see alot of man with some nice full court press. We are small and we need to take advantage of it. Zone obviously is a failure for this team.

Box and 1.
Put the one on Rotnie.

I would also like to see alot of man with some nice full court press. We are small and we need to take advantage of it. Zone obviously is a failure for this team.

I agree, but the same can be said about man. Lots of folks were upset that Capel stayed in zone against Houston, but when he switched to man for the final 8 minutes of the second half, Coleman and Lewis just got lay-ups and dunks from blowing by their defender.

I agree about keeping with the press. Arkansas has some young guards, so I am hoping the Sooners can force some turnovers that lead to some easy baskets.

I do hope we stay away from the zone. I like the energy level the press brings. Whatever we do, I want to see us do it with energy and intensity. I would also like to see us change it up at times; I thought that was a brilliant strategy against Cuse last year, it didn't feel like they ever got a grasp of what they would face each trip down the floor. Admittedly, I don't know if that's a reasonable request or not with this team still learning, but Coach did say most of defense was about 'want to'.

You think Crock could handle him?

That's who I am thinking, though Crock has had problems in the past fighting through screens.

I actually think Cade might be the best bet....

But the downside of playing man defense is that there are no defensive rebounds to get because we give layup after layup.

Capel's got quite the predicament here, and the problem is they've only had two practices since returning from Alaska to work on things.

In summary, I have no idea what the hell Capel will do or should do. :)

Who guards Rotnei?
Whoever is willing to chase him all over the court. fight screens and give max effort the whole time. Tony and Cade both have the ability to keep up with him and I think if Tony's mind is right his length could be very disruptive to Rotnie.

That's who I am thinking, though Crock has had problems in the past fighting through screens.

I actually think Cade might be the best bet....

True. Plus, I like the energy and hustle Cade gives on the defensive end. It's a tough desicion; when Crock is on defensively, he is really, really good.

Whoever is willing to chase him all over the court. fight screens and give max effort the whole time. Tony and Cade both have the ability to keep up with him and I think if Tony's mind is right his length could be very disruptive to Rotnie.

it SHOULD be Willie, but I just don't think he gives enough effort or care to the defensive side of basketball.

I agree that Crock has the ability to do it as well if he is focused.

I think another valid question is what improvement we'll see in the rebounding area. If we want to be the kind of team we hope to be, we absolutely must cut down on the other team offensive boards. Giving up double digits in that category every game will make it tough to win any game.

yeah our 2-3 zone needs some work our two guards went to 1 guy at the top and left the shooters wide open bc everyone had leave their area to help and our man to man is good but nobody was talking to eachother it seemed when we played Houston so our rotation over to help was late and caused fouls or easy lay-ups, so i would prefer the 1-3-1 seems to work when we pull that out

I'm less worried about Arkansas attacking us off the bounce like Houston did on a consistent basis. From the limited action I have seen from the Razorbacks, they're much a jump shooting team like us...with that said stay away from the zone. Go man, solidifies the rebounding situation to an extent (hopefully!!) better than going to a 2-3 would do.

Would mix in a little 1-3-1 with a high point, but I personally love that defense in general so I'm biased. I also like a good hard foul the first time someone goes to the rack, but that may be a little too un-PC for 2009.

I'm less worried about Arkansas attacking us off the bounce like Houston did on a consistent basis. From the limited action I have seen from the Razorbacks, they're much a jump shooting team like us...with that said stay away from the zone. Go man, solidifies the rebounding situation to an extent (hopefully!!) better than going to a 2-3 would do.

Would mix in a little 1-3-1 with a high point, but I personally love that defense in general so I'm biased. I also like a good hard foul the first time someone goes to the rack, but that may be a little too un-PC for 2009.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. I hope we see that from Tiny. We need him to think he owns the paint on both ends.

One thing I think Capel has done this year that has killed us repeatedly is switching defenders on screens on hand-offs at the top of the key.

Tony Crocker should have been on Coleman the whole game against Houston, but we kept switching and giving them the match-up they wanted...TMG or Cade against Coleman, which is just not fair.

We can't switch on Rotnei...

Hasn't Willie played one-on-one or two-on-two against Rotnei like 100 times? Who would know him better?

I am still of the opinion that Willie is too thin and that is the cause of his repeated cramping. If you sweat too much and you're bodyfat level is too low, you cramp easier.

Hasn't Willie played one-on-one or two-on-two against Rotnei like 100 times? Who would know him better?

I am still of the opinion that Willie is too thin and that is the cause of his repeated cramping. If you sweat too much and you're bodyfat level is too low, you cramp easier.

There is free chipotle on campus corner today. You should let Willie know about it. Then tell him about a place called Fat Sandwich (also on campus corner). You can fatten him back up in no time! :D

One thing I think Capel has done this year that has killed us repeatedly is switching defenders on screens on hand-offs at the top of the key.

Tony Crocker should have been on Coleman the whole game against Houston, but we kept switching and giving them the match-up they wanted...TMG or Cade against Coleman, which is just not fair.

We can't switch on Rotnei...

We were taught as the defender of opposing player setting the screnn to hedge them back from where the came...that's on the help defender. Blake did a really poor job of this early on last year, but consistently got better.

Back