Discuss Porter Moser thread DON'T DO IT ANYWHERE ELSE

Re: MBB TPT2 TRANSFER PORTAL THREAD 2

Exactly, we need to give a coach time to develop players and shouldn't expect a quick turnaround in 2 years. Couldn't agree more. Just like BV, let him get his recruits in and develop them over 3 to 4 years to fit his scheme. Well said.

That's not what I said.

If BV does in year 2 what PM did in year 2, BV likely won't be employed by OU for a third season. Especially with the schedule we have this upcoming season.

Here is my thought...and that plus 50 cents will get you a couple of gumballs.

In today's game, with NIL and the portal, which is still pretty new...the game is still learning and adjusting, all coaches are having to do it. BV is a good example because he talked about not using the portal much but he definitely has. I fully expect a lot of coaches to be learning how to navigate the portal and the NIL game for a couple of years. Yes, the ones who were already cheating just have a legal way to do it now. I think the guys who have been REALLY successful with it so far probably already had a leg up with under the table type shenanigans (a lot of guys on here want to use Tang as a model example of navigating the portal, etc but Baylor was WAY ahead of the cheating game/paying players in my opinion)...

Could PM have done better with this? absolutely!

Could OU have done better with this? without a doubt!

But I also think there is a little bit of a learning curve. You see some schools get lucky with a couple of transfers but that doesn't mean everyone will immediately. I think we have done fine with guards...and better luck with posts the first year.....I like Godwin and think he is a solid backup.....I expected more from Groves but he was decent. I'll be patient enough to see who we end up adding this year.

I think PM has done a solid job with HS recruiting....and expect that will continue.

I don't think all of the complaints on here have been unwarranted but I think some of them are. It is what it is.

That said...I would be thriled with Denver Jones and Collins....we may not get either but I'd be pleased with them.
Think this is very true, would just add my standard depressing take on OU’s NIL infrastructure (especially so for OU basketball relative to football, even non-rev sports compared to their competitors).

Not only are we in a new era, but the entire AD seems to be behind the curve or at least is not at the “bleeding edge” of its deployment.

I didn’t miss the point at all. Your point is just wrong and ridiculous on many levels.

His point is not wrong. Those coaches all had significant time (4+ years) to build their programs. They didn’t just start winning at a top 30 level from day 1. It took them time to reach the heights their programs are currently at. Moser deserves more than 2 years too.

Think this is very true, would just add my standard depressing take on OU’s NIL infrastructure (especially so for OU basketball relative to football, even non-rev sports compared to their competitors).

Not only are we in a new era, but the entire AD seems to be behind the curve or at least is not at the “bleeding edge” of its deployment.

I see a lot of posts like this, and I am not saying you are wrong. But I also am curious to know why so many people think this way. How do we know what other schools have in place for each of their programs? There have been a few highly publicized instances where a rich booster offers big NIL money. Other than that, it seems like it's just speculation with no specifics. For instance, can anyone here tell me: what, specifically, is TCU doing that we aren't as far as basketball NIL? Or KSU? Or ISU? Or Tech? Or WVA? Or Sand Diego State? Or Creighton?

In Wichita, I see a lot of TV commercials with Gradey Dick, and a couple with other KU players. I know they moved pretty quickly to capitalize on NIL, but that's no shock since they are one of the two or three best programs around and Gradey is arguably the most marketable college player in the country. I don't see any ads with KSU players. WSU was way behind the curve in putting a plan in place, and that is a huge reason why they fired their AD last year. It seems like most schools were somewhat unprepared and have been scrambling ever since. Maybe I am way off base and every P5 player at other schools is making money hand over fist, but I am skeptical.

I see a lot of posts like this, and I am not saying you are wrong. But I also am curious to know why so many people think this way. How do we know what other schools have in place for each of their programs? There have been a few highly publicized instances where a rich booster offers big NIL money. Other than that, it seems like it's just speculation with no specifics. For instance, can anyone here tell me: what, specifically, is TCU doing that we aren't as far as basketball NIL? Or KSU? Or ISU? Or Tech? Or WVA? Or Sand Diego State? Or Creighton?

In Wichita, I see a lot of TV commercials with Gradey Dick, and a couple with other KU players. I know they moved pretty quickly to capitalize on NIL, but that's no shock since they are one of the two or three best programs around and Gradey is arguably the most marketable college player in the country. I don't see any ads with KSU players. WSU was way behind the curve in putting a plan in place, and that is a huge reason why they fired their AD last year. It seems like most schools were somewhat unprepared and have been scrambling ever since. Maybe I am way off base and every P5 player at other schools is making money hand over fist, but I am skeptical.
My opinion is based on some of the hiccups/delay that the OU AD has had in establishing its initial NIL infrastructure, recent historical antipathy/strict compliance culture towards boosters after the Bomar incident, and the fact that OU football is king/increasingly seeing boosters pulled off to support non-rev sports more strongly (Headington with tennis, Love’s with softball).

I’m not going to pretend like I understand each specific school’s NIL infrastructure so probably not going to be able to give you a comprehensive answer (other than ff-bound Miami/Ruiz definitely being at the bleeding edge). Generally speaking though, I think the other Big 12 fanbases (ISU especially) you mention are much more supportive of their basketball programs (mainly based on anecdotal evidence though) which I think lends itself to a more lucrative NIL environment elsewhere. I’m at the point where I think it’s a very legitimate question if a Norman-area car dealership would ever consider using Tanner Groves as a spokesperson over a high profile back-up football player or even several softball (!!) players at this point. I would clarify, I’m not saying that can’t be reversed or that other comps might be more comparable (for example Reaves in 2021 would be somewhat marketable, more casual interest in the program at that point) but rather the current headwinds for OU mbball’s NIL exposure are even more exacerbated than usual.

Last edited:

That's not what I said.

If BV does in year 2 what PM did in year 2, BV likely won't be employed by OU for a third season. Especially with the schedule we have this upcoming season.

I just provided a summary of your paragraph, but ok.

So long-term development isn't an option then, in your opinion.

Bc long-term development and implementing a standard is not he same as instant success and an NIL dump to buy portal players.

2 very different avenues.

So is OU going to be:

A. A program built on developing players in a system trying to keep your core athletes
B. New age Kentucky with new starting lineups every year thanks to NIL, portal, and playing time

I do disagree, very much so, with firing a coach after 2 years. Especially at OU for basketball.

Well, with it now being official that Hill is leaving, next year will see a complete turnover in the roster since Moser’s first year, with Jacob sadly the only remaining player from year one. In other words, the only commonality will be the head coach. If we miss the tourney yet again, it’ll be interesting how people try to spin it in a way to avoid blaming the man paid to run the program.

Well, with it now being official that Hill is leaving, next year will see a complete turnover in the roster since Moser’s first year, with Jacob sadly the only remaining player from year one. In other words, the only commonality will be the head coach. If we miss the tourney yet again, it’ll be interesting how people try to spin it in a way to avoid blaming the man paid to run the program.

I've been blaming him from day 1. These are his rosters in the end.

Personally, I’m pretty solidly in the give him 2023-2024 before making a judgement. I don’t see a lot of people advocating for PM to continue if the results are similar next season.

Curious as to the deliverable for the anti-Moser crowd? Top 35 KP, NCAA appearance, second weekend, top half of a 14-team league? What’s needed to justify an extension?

Personally, I’m pretty solidly in the give him 2023-2024 before making a judgement. I don’t see a lot of people advocating for PM to continue if the results are similar next season.

Curious as to the deliverable for the anti-Moser crowd? Top 35 KP, NCAA appearance, second weekend, top half of a 14-team league? What’s needed to justify an extension?

I hate to say it, but I'm not seeing him winning much next year. Full roster turnover, and barely anything worth a damn on the horizon? Yeah. Moser might set this program back a while because of his ineptitude.

I'm pretty solidly anti-Moser. I would say atleast 18 wins, .500 in conference, and a win in the tournament. I'd be willing to give him another year if he can get that. However, pigs could also can fly.

We can't have our cake and eat it too. We all saw the lack of talent across the board last year. We all know that upgrading talent is #1 priority. I don't really mind if there is only one player from Moser's year one on the roster right now. Those dudes were just not consistently good enough. In fact, with the exception of Shroeder and maybe Bamisile, I hope he processed out everyone that is transferring. Atleast that would show he understands what it will take.

I'm pretty solidly anti-Moser. I would say atleast 18 wins, .500 in conference, and a win in the tournament. I'd be willing to give him another year if he can get that. However, pigs could also can fly.

I would be willing to give him another year if we just made the Tournament. My standards are that low.

Anything short of making the tourney should get him fired as soon as the season ends. Regardless of where we stand in the conference, there is no excuse for us not making a 68-team field for three straight years.

I would be willing to give him another year if we just made the Tournament. My standards are that low.
Yeah, I’m with this. Should be achievable to get a tournament appearance 1/3 years, who knows what kind of match-up/draw a full year out.

Anything short of making the tourney should get him fired as soon as the season ends. Regardless of where we stand in the conference, there is no excuse for us not making a 68-team field for three straight years.

Ou didn’t fire pete Hughes after 3 missed tournaments in baseball which is even worse imo. As long as Moser doesn’t have any extra curricular issues, I seriously doubt the admin will fire moser even if we miss the tourney next year.

Ou didn’t fire pete Hughes after 3 missed tournaments in baseball which is even worse imo. As long as Moser doesn’t have any extra curricular issues, I seriously doubt the admin will fire moser even if we miss the tourney next year.

How is that worse? It isn’t like the baseball program is a juggernaut that was making it to Omaha on a regular basis before he was hired. And there is a lot longer leash in sports other than basketball and football. It’s debatable whether that should be the case, but it’s reality. It’s sad if our standard is, “as long as our players don’t screw up off the floor and the coach doesn’t get caught cheating, we will put up with year after year of bad basketball.”

How is that worse? It isn’t like the baseball program is a juggernaut that was making it to Omaha on a regular basis before he was hired. And there is a lot longer leash in sports other than basketball and football. It’s debatable whether that should be the case, but it’s reality. It’s sad if our standard is, “as long as our players don’t screw up off the floor and the coach doesn’t get caught cheating, we will put up with year after year of bad basketball.”

Ou’s baseball program is definitely top 15 all time. We have 12 CWS appearances and 2 national championships. It’s definitelt better than the hoops program all time.

We ended up making the tournament in hughes 4th year and he was still fired. Ou gives their coaches a fair shake before they are let go. It’s simple as that.

Ou’s baseball program is definitely top 15 all time. We have 12 CWS appearances and 2 national championships. It’s definitelt better than the hoops program all time.

We ended up making the tournament in hughes 4th year and he was still fired. Ou gives their coaches a fair shake before they are let go. It’s simple as that.

Three straight missed tourneys on the heels of making four straight and eight of nine under the previous coach wouldn’t be a fair shake?

I'm no PM fan and really don't care if they fired him today, but to be fair I don't think any coach would got this year team in the tourney....They looked like one of those old Big 8 teams from the late 60's

Back