Doug Gottlieb quote about OU basketball

OUFtball

Reaction score
"Willie Warren can score....Tommy Mason Griffin can score.....Tiny Gallon can score.....But not one of them score to help the team win. They score to see how many points they get, and if they win, all the better. Tommy Mason stopped playing in the bedlam game because he did not like getting screened. This OU team is a team I do not like to watch."

That's a shame. I know during the first practices of the season all coaches make "Let's make sure Doug Gottlieb enjoys watching us play" their team's #1 priority.

Doug's fair, he knows the game, and he's right. We shall see how things go.

"Willie Warren can score....Tommy Mason Griffin can score.....Tiny Gallon can score.....But not one of them score to help the team win. They score to see how many points they get, and if they win, all the better. Tommy Mason stopped playing in the bedlam game because he did not like getting screened. This OU team is a team I do not like to watch."

Penn's three pointer toward the end of regulation was a direct result of this. Cade could of helped on the hedge/switch, but TMG gave up after the first screen, never even made it to the second.

OU fans don't like Doug, but when it comes to college ball, he tells it like it is and is right a vast majority of the time.

Isn't he the credit card thief who can't shoot free throws?

ESPN is a joke having him, Cowherd & Knight on air. Guess what, they are going down in 2010.

TMZ is launching a sports division and is going to dominate them. That's all ESPN these days is a poorly run gossip and opinion network with 3rd rate employees.

TMZ is going to blow their doors off. The Tiger Woods coverage was the tip of the iceberg.

RIP ESPN. TMZ won't be using failed jocks. They will be using pros.

I generally agree with Doug Gottlieb's analysis and do in this instance as well.

Isn't he the credit card thief who can't shoot free throws?

Red herring.

ESPN is a joke having him, Cowherd & Knight on air. Guess what, they are going down in 2010.

TMZ is launching a sports division and is going to dominate them. That's all ESPN these days is a poorly run gossip and opinion network with 3rd rate employees.

TMZ is going to blow their doors off. The Tiger Woods coverage was the tip of the iceberg.

RIP ESPN. TMZ won't be using failed jocks. They will be using pros.

Yea, im sure ESPN will not be able to handle the competition with TMZ, lol. Come on, man.

I actually like Got-dweeb and have some respect for his opinion on these matters.

DG knows his basketball. His analysis is generally fair and substantive.

I really don't see any difference in this case.

TMZ is a different animal than CNNSI which was just an ESPN clone. Their business model is taking off.

TMZ audience has doubled the past year while ESPN has slipped. During the Michael Jackson and Tiger Woods stories TMZ audience came very close to ESPN. They will continue to add product lines and expand their business model.

You can expect politics, etc to follow, but they are going to make a big push into sports later in Q1.

They were under the AOL wing previously but now will be a separately run news organization with their own advertising staff.

TMZ is a different animal than CNNSI which was just an ESPN clone. Their business model is taking off.

TMZ audience has doubled the past year while ESPN has slipped. During the Michael Jackson and Tiger Woods stories TMZ audience came very close to ESPN. They will continue to add product lines and expand their business model.

You can expect politics, etc to follow, but they are going to make a big push into sports later in Q1.

They were under the AOL wing previously but now will be a separately run news organization with their own advertising staff.

These are two instances when sports was a mainstream news story. TMZ has no chance competing day to day with ESPN because not everyone who reads TMZ cares about sports. Everyone who reads ESPN does and that is the difference.

These are two instances when sports was a mainstream news story. TMZ has no chance competing day to day with ESPN because not everyone who reads TMZ cares about sports. Everyone who reads ESPN does and that is the difference.

TMZ is launching TMZSports.com this year. The people who read that will care about sports. They're going to out-Deadspin Deadspin. And TMZ certainly drove the Tiger Woods story, just as did with Michael Jackson and is doing with the Conan/Leno debacle. They aren't going to put ESPN.com out of business or anything, but I suspect it will put a dent into their operation. They will be a major player, for good or for ill.

FWIW, I love Doug. I don't love people thinking college basketball teams owe them anything.

Fran Frichilla said during the OU/UTEP game: "OU plays like they are in a summer AAU pick-up game."

Bob Knight said Monday: "OU plays with 5 indiviuals players instead of a TEAM."

I'm not sure Coach Capel would disagree with any of the quotes, including Gottlieb's.

That's the point Aaron. TMZ sports does not exist yet. They are launching a dedicated sports product this year.

ESPN is hurting. Look at their lame attempt to grow adding these local ESPN Dallas, etc products.

Take the Willie Warren situation for example. Look at the lame knuckleheads on the sports animal, tulsa world, oklahoman, ouinsider, rivals trying to cover it. They are all amateurs.

If TMZ wanted to focus on that story they would get it right and make it 20 times bigger story. If Willie Warren knocked up his girlfriend they would uncover it.

Anyway, I have some inside scoop on what they are doing. Just keep an eye on it later this spring.

TMZ is launching TMZSports.com this year. The people who read that will care about sports. They're going to out-Deadspin Deadspin. And TMZ certainly drove the Tiger Woods story, just as did with Michael Jackson and is doing with the Conan/Leno debacle. They aren't going to put ESPN.com out of business or anything, but I suspect it will put a dent into their operation.

FWIW, I love Doug. I don't love people thinking college basketball teams owe them anything.

There is no way enough people will go to TMZSports.com instead of ESPN.com to make any difference at all. TMZ is a fad that will be popular for some time and fade away. ESPN is a different animal. They control almost all things sports, and the few things they don't control are coming up for bid in the very near future. My guess is we will see the NCAA Tournament on ESPN next time it comes up. That may make the tournament coverage a lot better due to the amount of channels that ESPN has at its dispense.

He went to OSU and he's ripped OSU before and basically got a ban from their coaches because of his critisizm. He may be an OSU guy and even says he loves the university that's his right because he went there but he's honest and fair in his analysis. And he knows his basketball.

That's the point Aaron. TMZ sports does not exist yet. They are launching a dedicated sports product this year.

ESPN is hurting. Look at their lame attempt to grow adding these local ESPN Dallas, etc products.

Take the Willie Warren situation for example. Look at the lame knuckleheads on the sports animal, tulsa world, oklahoman, ouinsider, rivals trying to cover it. They are all amateurs.

If TMZ wanted to focus on that story they would get it right and make it 20 times bigger story. If Willie Warren knocked up his girlfriend they would uncover it.

Anyway, I have some inside scoop on what they are doing. Just keep an eye on it later this spring.

They will get people on the "hollywood" side of sports. My question is how will they cover the considerable gap on the everyday sports stories. Why will people change their routine just to find the scores of West Coast games the next morning? I don't think it will happen. ESPN is the king of sports media right now. They aren't going anywhere.

Back