Dragan Sekelja- Baylor freshman

Looks like a combination of Arvydas Sabonis, Rik Smits and Julius Michalik.

he does look pretty good.

reminds me of Blake

he does look pretty good.

reminds me of Blake

I don't know if he is as athletic as Blake... okay you talked me into it- he's the 2nd coming of Blake Griffin :)

In all seriousness, I think Dragan, Udoh and Acy will give Baylor something that they have never had and that is an advantage over most of the teams that they play in the low post. Lomers is also a guy that can give some quality minutes here and there.

Rogers was a great athlete. But he was basically a big small forward playing in the post.

DFW, you are, by far, my favorite poster. You are a true optimist. I always wonder how someone can root for a team that has never won anything, it must be difficult.

PG: Tweety Carter
SG: Lace Dunn
SF: Anthony Jones
PF: Ekpe Udoh
C: Dragan Sekelja

Looks salty to me...

"Sekelja can also take his player out to the three point line, where he has a shot but that does not fall right now and is not looking very good either."

I, too, can go out to the three-point line, where I have a shot that neither falls nor looks very good. Think Baylor might be interested in me?

The fact that Lomers was even mentioned at any point for "quality minutes" says it all...

Fear the Dragan!

Sekelja_Dragan.jpg

i'm wondering why in rival's preview of baylor that was posted today (ranked them 43rd overall, 6th in the big 12) they don't mention this guy whatsoever.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=992007

Jason King at Rivals is one of the laziest reporters around. I can say with a great deal of certainty that he probably bought himself a basketball magazine and did no research in writing that preview. Most guys who cover college basketball are in the same boat. They have never played the sport. They get paid to write hype pieces for schools who have large fan bases- Kansas, Kentucky, etc...

If Big Time, Dirty Mess, Bigabd or someone who actually followed the sport was paid to write previews, you would get a much better product. Look, here's the deal with Dragan... Duke, UConn, Pitt, Maryland, Wisconsin, Purdue, Washington, Georgia Tech and others were recruiting him hard when his coach at Cibona started making inquiries about Dragan playing in the US.

Cibona has three guys Dragan's age who are very skilled and talented big men. All three of them are projected to go in the 1st or 2nd round of the NBA draft in 2011: Mario Delas, Leon Radosevic and Tomislav Zubcic. Dragan was caught in a numbers game there so he sought to play college ball. Some of the bigger boys stopped recruiting him hard when there seemed to be some doubts that he would become NCAA eligible.

One of Baylor's coaches had an in with Cibona. Baylor stuck with him and landed his commitment and he got qualified academically. A Baylor fan asked Jerry Meyer about him at Rivals. Jerry had seen him play and said that he would have been a 5-star recruit in the US but that he would not likely qualify.

One of my friends from Dallas is from France. His buddy in Europe writes for a basketball magazine and had seen Dragan play many times. His take was that Dragan could develop into a pro player. Said he was highly skilled and hard-nosed. Compared him to Suton at Michigan State last year. He's definitely been under the radar but he is very good and would likely have been a top 30 guy on Rivals if he played his high school ball in the states.

DFW, does Drew extra scheme for KSU or something? You guys simply own us. It's not fun.

DFW, does Drew extra scheme for KSU or something? You guys simply own us. It's not fun.

That will change- glad Baylor has KSt at home this year. But I'm definitely not counting that as a win. How is that Kelly cat doing in preseason workouts? I know like Ryan Wright at OU, he was highly thought of in high school.

my bad rivals picked them 7th. I'd take baylor ahead of A&M myself.

I don't see what the love affair with the Aggies in pre-season predictions is all about. Most pre-season predictions pick them 4th-6th in the big 12. If Elonu had stayed, I could see that.

In the past, they were able to control the boards with Davis, Elonu and Jones. With Davis and more of a finesse post in Loubeau, I think they struggle down low. And their guards don't shoot well enough to beat teams from the outside in my opinion. Sloan, Roland and Dash Harris are good defenders but not good outside shooters. And without an inside game, those jump shots will not be open shots as much as they were in years past .

I would put A&M behind Baylor, Missouri, Iowa St, Kansas, KSt, OSU, OU and Texas personally. We will see soon enough.

I think A&M gets more respect because Turgeon is regarded as a better game coach than Drew. Talent wise Baylor typically has had more.

Back