Duke-UNC: a question

skyvue

Reaction score
Isn't against the rules to intentionally miss a free throw in order to get the rebound and take a shot? I know it happens, but usually the shooter makes a pretense of a legit attempt. That missed free throw that allowed Duke to send the game to overtime yesterday was a blatantly intentional miss, and I wondered why it was allowed to stand.

Isn't against the rules to intentionally miss a free throw in order to get the rebound and take a shot? I know it happens, but usually the shooter makes a pretense of a legit attempt. That missed free throw that allowed Duke to send the game to overtime yesterday was a blatantly intentional miss, and I wondered why it was allowed to stand.

I’ve never heard that it is illegal. As long as it hits the rim and the shooter doesn’t cross the line before it touches the rim, it is fair game.

Makes me remember when Isaiah threw an absolute line drive directly off the glass in one of our Manhattan nightmares.

Hmm. I don't know where I got the idea that it was against the rules.

Hmm. I don't know where I got the idea that it was against the rules.

As previously stated you must hit the rim as opposed to throwing it directly off the backboard. You also cannot fake a free throw motion to intentionally get the opposing team to enter the paint.

An amazing game. I can’t believe all the stuff that had to go right for them to win. Love college basketball so much.

As previously stated you must hit the rim as opposed to throwing it directly off the backboard. You also cannot fake a free throw motion to intentionally get the opposing team to enter the paint.

So what happens if you don't hit the rim (either an airball or the ball hits only the glass)? How can the officials be certain that it wasn't simply a bad shot? You see players fail to hit the rim often during games, even on shots from inside the FT line.

So what happens if you don't hit the rim (either an airball or the ball hits only the glass)? How can the officials be certain that it wasn't simply a bad shot? You see players fail to hit the rim often during games, even on shots from inside the FT line.

You fail to hit them rim on a free throw the defense gets the ball out of bounds under the basket

The rim needs to be hit regardless of the quality of the shot be it an airball or not. If the shooter is not trying to manipulate or game the system the rule of rim contact still stands. On a 2 shot foul this applies only to the 2nd free throw attempted as the 1st attempt either is a make or miss regardless of what causes it to be a make or miss.

Last edited:
You guys are correct. As long as the free throw shooter doesn't fake a shot to try to draw a lane violation he can throw it up there any way he wants as long as it hits the rim. I've seen guys throw it like a baseball off the rim hoping for a wild bounce.

I did not know that. Thanks for the info, guys.

I saw a post-game interview with Duke's Tre Jones (guy that intentionally missed) and he said he works with an assistant coach on that very play in practices. The coach even told him to step to the right so that the ball can hit the rim just right and Jones can track it down. That play to send the game into OT worked exactly as they had prepared. Kind of hard to fathom considering you very rarely ever see it work and most probably think it's just luck anyway.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/latest-news/article240118058.html

It was a great play.

I want the Duke guy who in overtime dislodged the ball from UNC without getting a foul called. He hit the guy as hard as any DB did this year in the Big 12

It was a great play.

I want the Duke guy who in overtime dislodged the ball from UNC without getting a foul called. He hit the guy as hard as any DB did this year in the Big 12

Duke made the plays to win the game in the final minutes, but that was a horrible no call! The foul was so obvious even Jay Bilas said it was a bad missed call. A NC possession at that point could have changed the outcome of the game in regulation.

It was a great play.

I meant to say I want him for OU’s football team

the ball must hit the rim the everything else is fair game

Just finished an article in The Athletic about this topic. Essentially if you are the defending team and have the possession arrow you can foul up 3 just as UNC did. But you know they are gonna try and miss intentionally so you instruct your team to commit lane violations. This does two thing. One if he misses (which he’s trying to) he has to reshoot. If he makes it then you get the ball bc his FTs are now converted.

Pretty big hole in the rule book. However, I will assume, very few coaches want that stalemate at the end of the game so no one does it.

Having the possession arrow is what was really interesting to me. If you commit the lane violation and the FT shooter misses the rim you have both committed a violation. So, you then get the ball since your team has the arrow.

https://theathletic.com/1597865/202...t-way-to-foul-up-three/?source=shared-article

Pretty wild.

Last edited:
Just finished an article in The Athletic about this topic. Essentially if you are the defending team and have the possession arrow you can foul up 3 just as UNC did. But you know they are gonna try and miss intentionally so you instruct your team to commit lane violations. This does two thing. One if he misses (which he’s trying to) he has to reshoot. If he makes it then you get the ball bc his FTs are now converted.

Pretty big hole in the rule book. However, I will assume, very few coaches want that stalemate at the end of the game so no one does it.

Having the possession arrow is what was really interesting to me. If you commit the lane violation and the FT shooter misses the rim you have both committed a violation. So, you then get the ball since your team has the arrow.

https://theathletic.com/1597865/202...t-way-to-foul-up-three/?source=shared-article

Pretty wild.

If a player keeps committing lane violations while the shooter is intentionally missing the refs can call a delay of game on the defense. I don't like that, but that's what a ref told me to keep them from doing it 10+ times.

If a player keeps committing lane violations while the shooter is intentionally missing the refs can call a delay of game on the defense. I don't like that, but that's what a ref told me to keep them from doing it 10+ times.

it would just lengthen the game which is a no no as fans see it and cause fans to rebel against the game, which is the last thing the game needs. The rule fits that situation and I'm glad it does. Not a fan of calling multiple timeouts to ice the kicker in football.

Back