End of Butler Xavier game

NickZepp

Reaction score
Crazy, officials decide to basically give the game to Butler.

They made the right call.

The clock froze on 14.7 for 1.3 seconds.
The Butler player then released his shot at 1.8, and it went through at 1.2.
If the clock had run, he would have released the shot at .5, and the buzzer would have sounded as the ball went through the net.

Took them 20 minutes to figure it out.

It did take them forever, but I think they really wanted to be ABSOLUTELY sure before making a decision to end the game.

Xavier was really pissed, but it's not like they were going to go the length of the court in 1.2 anyway.

Remember when Hollis Price tied Texas Tech about 7 years ago because of clock issues? If the officials did the same thing back then that game goes down as an L.

Remember when Hollis Price tied Texas Tech about 7 years ago because of clock issues? If the officials did the same thing back then that game goes down as an L.

I didn't see this game. Was the clock problem obvious? How did the officials become aware of it?

I didn't see this game. Was the clock problem obvious? How did the officials become aware of it?

It was a Big Monday game and the clock was messing up for the last 30 seconds and Hollis went flying down the court with like 7 or 8 seconds left and the clock messed up several times, Holllis tied the game with like no time left, I think the refs looked at it and decided the play stood.

It was a Big Monday game and the clock was messing up for the last 30 seconds and Hollis went flying down the court with like 7 or 8 seconds left and the clock messed up several times, Holllis tied the game with like no time left, I think the refs looked at it and decided the play stood.

I didn't make myself clear. I've got our game against Texas Tech burned in my memory! It's the Butler/Xavier game I didn't see. :ez-laugh:

I didn't make myself clear. I've got our game against Texas Tech burned in my memory! It's the Butler/Xavier game I didn't see. :ez-laugh:

Oh sorry I was confused, the clock stopped once with about 15 seconds left but I'm not sure if it stopped for over a second.

The last 30 seconds or so was kinda wild...Butler takes a 3, misses, there's a mad scramble, Butler gets the ball, Xavier nearly steals it with about 18 seconds left and knocks the ball into Butler's backcourt...while Butler is in the process of chasing the ball down the clock stops for about a second...Butler recovers the ball with 14.7 seconds left, runs up court, shoots a 3, misses, another mad scramble with about 8 seconds left with bodies on the floor...Butler comes up with a ball and gets an uncontested layup with less than 2 seconds left...the ball left Butler's shooter's hand with 1.8 seconds left and went through the net with 1.2 seconds left...the clock ran down to .9 seconds...the refs received instant replay to check the clock...after a lengthy review and discussion they called the 2 coaches together and told them that the ball left the shooter's hand with 1.8 seconds left and went through the net with 1.2 seconds left...they then said that the clock had stopped for 1.3 seconds at the 14.7 second mark, so the game was really over...the Xavier coach went nuts...Butler won 69-68.

Oh sorry I was confused, the clock stopped once with about 15 seconds left but I'm not sure if it stopped for over a second.

They just showed the end of that game on ESPN. What a crazy ending to a game. It's to the refs credit that they even realized the clock had stopped. It seems like the stoppage was more obvious than in our game with Tech, but our game with Tech was before all officials had the electronic whistles, too.

the clock situation is going to get all the attention, but the egregious call was the jump ball that gave butler the ball back in the first place. it was a ridiculous call.

They just showed the end of that game on ESPN. What a crazy ending to a game. It's to the refs credit that they even realized the clock had stopped. It seems like the stoppage was more obvious than in our game with Tech, but our game with Tech was before all officials had the electronic whistles, too.

The clock at the last of our game stopped like all of the last minute of the game. It was the worst I've ever seen a clock mess up in that situation. This game it just happened once with like 15 seconds left.

Back