End of Game Strategy

sooner333

Reaction score
At the end of regulation, Capel brought in Pledger for Gallon. This makes sense because although Gallon is a decent FT shooter for a big guy, Pledger is surely better at the stripe. However, Pledger wasn't fouled and Mason-Griffin was. I was thinking at the time (before he even shot and missed) that Gallon should be coming back in for defense and rebounding. And especially after the first one was missed and the possibility of needing only a two pointer was possible.

Gallon didn't come in and Anderson was able to shoot twice at the end to get his game-tying bucket. It wasn't like OSU went with a five-guard lineup that we had to defense--Moses was in the game. And I know it wasn't an oversight by coach because he did the exact same thing at the end of OT when Willie made his FT's. Maybe he doesn't trust Gallon to be able to be down on the block and get back on defense, but even if that's the case, I still think it might be more valuable to have him waiting back on defense just in case.

At the end of regulation, Capel brought in Pledger for Gallon. This makes sense because although Gallon is a decent FT shooter for a big guy, Pledger is surely better at the stripe. However, Pledger wasn't fouled and Mason-Griffin was. I was thinking at the time (before he even shot and missed) that Gallon should be coming back in for defense and rebounding. And especially after the first one was missed and the possibility of needing only a two pointer was possible.

Gallon didn't come in and Anderson was able to shoot twice at the end to get his game-tying bucket. It wasn't like OSU went with a five-guard lineup that we had to defense--Moses was in the game. And I know it wasn't an oversight by coach because he did the exact same thing at the end of OT when Willie made his FT's. Maybe he doesn't trust Gallon to be able to be down on the block and get back on defense, but even if that's the case, I still think it might be more valuable to have him waiting back on defense just in case.

I think I agree....it would have made that layup much harder

I think TMG missing the first free throw makes bringing Tiny back in an option. The problem is that if TMG makes the second to push the lead to 3, you cannot sub to get Tiny out because no time had come off the clock. OSU did not have any time outs, so them throwing to half court and calling one was not an option either. I think Capel had confidence TMG would make the second free throw, and he believed we would need to have our best personnel on the floor to guard a potential game tying three.

Aaron's anaylsis is correct in my opinion. This is essentially what Knight was saying. You just don't know if you can get tiny out and you need ball handlers on offense and perimeter defenders on defense.

Prevent the 3, don't turn the ball over, and hit your free throws is the formula you strive for.

Willie's 3 attempt in the last minute is arguably the most selfish and dumbest shot ever taken in Lloyd Noble by anyone. Previously, the dumbest play in the gym was last years foul by Taylor Griffin on the half court shot when we were up by 4. I think Willie's shot tops that perhaps.

Aaron's anaylsis is correct in my opinion. This is essentially what Knight was saying. You just don't know if you can get tiny out and you need ball handlers on offense and perimeter defenders on defense.

Prevent the 3, don't turn the ball over, and hit your free throws is the formula you strive for.

Willie's 3 attempt in the last minute is arguably the most selfish and dumbest shot ever taken in Lloyd Noble by anyone. Previously, the dumbest play in the gym was last years foul by Taylor Griffin on the half court shot when we were up by 4. I think Willie's shot tops that perhaps.

I literally spilled some ranch dressing on my shirt when he hoisted that one up, ill-advised to say the least.

As for the premise of this thread, there was a blurb in an earlier thread this morning. At that point in the game, you're looking to switch every screen up top because you don't want to give up the jumper. Rebounding could have been an issue, but you only have to worry about 1 guy really and that is Moses...surely your collective group can box out 1 guy. Penn isn't going in for a rebound, neither is Page. Also, Gallon would of been targeted by Ford on a high ball screen. Knowing Gallon's inconsistency on hedging properly, he could have been called for a foul, sending OSU to the line, stopping the clock and putting Gallon on the bench.

However, Anderson made a realy heady play and went to the hoop and was in perfect position for the tip in off his miss. The one blunder there was having Cade in the lane for TMG's free throw, that allowed Anderson to leak out and get ahead of the pack.

There really isn't a 100% correct method in this instance, some coaches prefer different personnel matchups in that situation.

I literally spilled some ranch dressing on my shirt when he hoisted that one up, ill-advised to say the least.

As for the premise of this thread, there was a blurb in an earlier thread this morning. At that point in the game, you're looking to switch every screen up top because you don't want to give up the jumper. Rebounding could have been an issue, but you only have to worry about 1 guy really and that is Moses...surely your collective group can box out 1 guy. Penn isn't going in for a rebound, neither is Page. Also, Gallon would of been targeted by Ford on a high ball screen. Knowing Gallon's inconsistency on hedging properly, he could have been called for a foul, sending OSU to the line, stopping the clock and putting Gallon on the bench.

However, Anderson made a realy heady play and went to the hoop and was in perfect position for the tip in off his miss. The one blunder there was having Cade in the lane for TMG's free throw, that allowed Anderson to leak out and get ahead of the pack.

There really isn't a 100% correct method in this instance, some coaches prefer different personnel matchups in that situation.

Knight's comment on this was right on the money. We needed to have the other four guys on our end preparing to play defense for the final 10.6 seconds regards of the outcome of the free throw.

I agree with your comments Camp. There are different ways to play the situation. I guess I should have said earlier that the way I would coach it is the way Aaron discussed. I would want by best ball handlers on the court for offense and best perimeter defenders for defense. Usually, you can change your lineup as the situation changes, but where your not sure you can, I would go with the smaller lineup. About half the time, Tiny was not hedging on the screens like he was suppose to and I wouldn't have trusted him to do it at crunch time.

Moreover, he has been a walking human foul, last night notwithstanding. He just can't help himself. This would have been another reason I wouldn't have wanted him out there.

Different ways to do things and they can all work. Generally, I like Capels game management. If we hit free throws down the stretch and willie doesn't shoot that asine 3, the game really isn't very close.

Speaking of bad decisions, why didnt OSU foul immediately with 16 seconds left. They let TMG dribble for almost 6 seconds before fouling, and if he would not have missed the FT, they probably would not have had a chance to come down, hit a shot, foul, get the ball back, and score again. It was bad IMO.

Speaking of bad decisions, why didnt OSU foul immediately with 16 seconds left. They let TMG dribble for almost 6 seconds before fouling, and if he would not have missed the FT, they probably would not have had a chance to come down, hit a shot, foul, get the ball back, and score again. It was bad IMO.

TMG dribbled at Anderson underneath OSU's goal and he had four fouls, didn't want to pick up his fifth I suppose.

TMG dribbled at Anderson underneath OSU's goal and he had four fouls, didn't want to pick up his fifth I suppose.

Then he should have subbed him out and put in Sidorkis to foul. I couldnt believe they did that, i thought the game was over, but we choked off a couple of FT to give them a chance.

Back