Favorite (non big name Sooners)

Tony Crocker was always a favorite as well.

For the show he put on vs syracuse

And for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLP-7Zc8r8w

Still the loudest I think I have heard LNC. That rush of noise when crocker hit that 3. and then how loud the fans were during the free throws was insane. My head hurt. And old men were even jumping up and down. It was chaotic

Good one. Crocker also played his ass off during his senior season despite that team with Tiny and TMG that imploded. Played a lot of power forward that year.

Quannas White is another one for me. Just for his steadiness and defensive ability at the point.

Nolan Johnson
Quannas White
David Godbold
Isaiah Cousins

Quannas White
Daryan Selvy
Calvin Curry

Last edited:
Idk how Longar longar isn't on everyone's list one of my fave all time players

I keep trying to come up with a list, but I have a really hard time defining who the non big name Sooners are. Do they count if they were ever our star player (Osby, Carter) or played a key role in a Final 4 run (White, Woodard)?

He might be too big a name, but I haven't seen Corey Brewer mentioned yet and he was favorite player of mine.

Oleg , a great fill in team mascot when top dawg was mia and before the horse pigs.

Last edited:
Plenty of big name guys.

Some others:
Renzi Stone
Tim Heskett
Newton
Pledger
Q. White
N. Johnson
J. Brown

"Seabiscuit" Johnny Gilbert & Corey Brewer

Kevin Bookout needs to be added to the list. Blue collar rebounder like Ryan Spangler. Also, Taj Gray.

He might be too big a name, but I haven't seen Corey Brewer mentioned yet and he was favorite player of mine.

Corey Brewer was a favorite. I totally forgot about him but I can't name them all. He was so awesome.

The title of the thread is favorite NON BIG NAME Sooners.

John McCullough was Big 8 POY. As was Ryan Minor! Big names both!

I go back to the late 80s, so I'll start with Dave Sieger.
I loved Cheese Davis. (Skeeter was a big name).
Bryan Sallier.
Calvin Curry.
John Ontjes.
Abercrombie is too big a name for this list, God bless him.
Jason Yanish.
Robert Allison.
Kelley Newton.
Johnnie Gilbert.
Jaison Williams (tough, tough defender).
Andrew Fitzgerald (my kingdom for his mid-range jumper).
Tyler Neal.

And, of course, no list of mine would ever be complete without my old pal, "Gamma" Ray Willis.

I forgot McCullough was the Big 8 POY. That was a good team. They lost to Larry Bird and Indiana State in the sweet 16. We beat Texas in the round of 32. The Juice Ray Whitley had a big game that day. Speaking of, if he doesn't get injured the following year (79/80) the first Tubbs team (80/81) ends with at least 5 more wins.

That 81/82 team was a fun team to watch too. Calvin Pierce, David Little, Bo Overton, Ray Whitley, Chucky Barnett, Big Time Jones, Jan Pannell, Lester Pace, Shawn Clark, and one William Tisdale.

I will never forget the LNC when Mizzou came to town. We lost but the place was at a fever pitch. Then the NIT games vs Cal State Northridge and Dayton.

Last edited:
I graduated from OU in '69 so I've watched a lot of Sooner basketball. You've mentioned a lot of the recent players from the last 20 years, but nobody except Booger has gone back further than that. I began watching OU back in the old fieldhouse.

Some of rhe notable names from the 60's were OU's first AA player in Don Sidle. Silky smooth big man. Also Garfield Heard and Clifford Ray.

I liked the scrappy pair of Bobby Jack and Scott Martin in the early 70's.

I liked John McCullough, Cary Carrabine, Al Beal, and Aaron Curry from the Dave Bliss era.

Then came Billy Tubbs. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Nate Erdman or Ryan Minor. Both were centerpieces on their teams. You guys have mentioned Ernie Abercrombie, but there were others who toiled in the trenches. Charles "Bigtime" Jones, Evan Wiley, and Renzi Stone were a few I remember.

Of course there was the great '88 team. People remember Harvey Grant, Stacey King, and Mookie Blalock. Ricky Grace was a good guard and Soonerinkc already mentioned Dave Seiger ..... and Choo Kennedy.

Gotta include Jeff Webster. PG's I really liked were Jon Ontjes and Quannas White. I suppose I should include Terry Evans, too. That's all I can think of right now because the last 20 years have already covered pretty well in this thread. I know David Godbold has been mentioned a lot ... he came to OU as a walk-on out of Douglas HS in OKC.

David Johnson was an unsung hero on the Wayman teams. He was a wide body from Wyandotte County Kansas. His best games were always on CBS. I think he has the record for most "Chevrolet Player of the Game" awards from CBS.

Godbold was on scholarship. He was going to walk-on but then we missed out on the sweepstakes for the kid who went to Oregon so Kelvin gave it to Godbold.

Jeff Webster
Skeeter
Slim Patterson
Cheese Davis - had GREAT post moves for a 6'6" center.
Jackie Jones - I tihnk he would have had a long NBA career had he made his grades and played his Sr year.
Brent Price - best pure shooter ever at OU IMO
Bryan Sallier
Angelo Hamilton - 360 dunk at Duke still one of my all-time favs!
Calvin Curry - range out to 30 ft. and he would shoot it from there too.
Ken Conley
Bobby Jo Evans - TONS of talent but injuries did him in.
Ryan Minor
Choo
Tim McCallister

The almost but not quite list (players who were very close to attending OU)

Anthony Cade - was a 6'10" juco post from Connors St. who was a McD's AA in HS..but didn't make the grades and never played in Norman.

Orlando Lightfoot - 6'7 PF who was highly recruited but also had grade issues and ended up playing at Idaho, where I think he is still the all-time leading scorer there.

Larry Johson - yes Grand mama almost landed in Norman (heard he had actually told Tubbs he was coming but ended up signing with Vegas)

Brandon Rush - highly recruited juco, who had been leaning to OU, but ended up at KU.

Scottie Reynolds, Damion James - I was sick to my stomach until these guys graduated. We had a LOADED recruiting class that year before Kelvin decided to leave. I have even read where Sampson said he would have got Darrell Arthur too had he not left OU...that Arthur told him he was coming with D. James....who knows what we would have done if that had happened!!!

Back