Favorite (non big name Sooners)

Lester Lane was a big name at the time. So, I'll go with others.

Eddie Evans--fun guard at a time when we didn't have much fun
Don Sidle, Gar Heard, Clifford Ray--I don't know that people knew we had a team at the time.
Ernie Abercrombie--you can always use a rebounder
Quannas White--more important to that team than remembered.

Brandon Rush - highly recruited juco, who had been leaning to OU, but ended up at KU.
Rush was a high school player......the last of the Rush Brothers. JaRon, Kareem and Brandon.

We finished second to Kansas on a BUNCH of good players toward the end of Kelvin's tenure: Kirk Hinrich, Keith Langford, Brandon Rush.

I didn't know we had much chance with Darrell Arthur. There's always been lots of talk that major money changed hands during his recruitment.

Would Al Beal be considered a "big name?" He might not be, considering he had some OU and Big 8 records for rebounding and blocked shots, at least at one time. I do remember that he was considered a "project" due to only having played two years of high school basketball before he got to OU. He was also one of my OU classmates in '79, the semester that we won the league.

And, as was mentioned in Tramel's blog about the epic OU-Mizzou game of '77, he scored the game-winning basket in the final 15 seconds.

Ricky Grace.
Taylor Griffin
I guess Najera's a big name.
Cousins. Guy was never All big 12 and took a beating here at times. Tough as nails.
Jabahri Brown
I guess Harvey Grant was a star but I loved that guy

no order or comprehensive attempt:

Steve Bajema
Chuckie Barnett (big name, but Chuckie was a baller back when he and David Little were among the top scorers in the Big 8 at 17 per)
Shawn Clark
Ernie Abercrombie
John Ontjes
Eric Martin (huge in the 99 team's run to the Sweet 16, Kelvin had him posting up against his smaller guy).
Jameel Heywood (won a big one for us at Mizzou)
Michael Johnson (if Kelvin always had solid PG play like MJ....with Taj and Terrell on the wing, let's say)
Romero Osby
Bryan Sallier (double digit scorer for 3 years and with 9 rbs per game....almost a double double avg in 92 and 93)
Nolan Johnson (one of my fave Sooners if only for taking Desmond Mason to school in Stillwater for 20 minutes. good player. Nolan he does miss the front end of a one-one that could have beat Indiana State in regulation. that was rough)

Last edited:
Nolan Johnson
Quannas White
David Godbold
Isaiah Cousins

Nolan Johnson YES -- one of my favorite performances of all time was last game in old GIA - Kelvin went four low and let Nolan go to work and he was "unguardable". So much fun watching him slowly tear the heart of OSU that evening. Was a thing of beauty!

Also loved me some Jeff Webster and Calvin Pierce with those one-handed follow dunks, but my favorite was a reserve named Shawn Clark a great leaper in the 80's. Dude could dunk on anyone and had a rainbow three-point shot.

Now, I am thinking about Helicopter Bell, Harvey Grant, Ebi Ere, Corey Brewer, man fun thinking about those guys.

Back