Favorite WT memory

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
I am sad to say that I missed the Tisdale OU days (I was too young to remember) so I am interested to hear some of your favorite memories of him as a Sooner player. Thanks in advance. Any stories off the court would be cool as well.

I will always remember that smile and the way he fought with such courage his illness. I also really enjoy his music. God Bless, Mr. Tisdale!

The first thing I think about when I think of Wayman is when he would set up on the low block, receive a pass, keep the ball high, turn and shoot a jump shot without putting the ball on the floor. He was deadly with that shot and could shoot over just about anybody.

He wasn't a finesse player. He played tough, somewhat like Eduardo, but with a pure shot that was simply money.

I loved watching him go for 61, hitting so many soft left hand jumpers and dunks. Another great memory was watching him school Karl Malone in college.

I had the pleasure of meeting him and his brother William. I will always remember how close they were, and how down to earth both was. I never saw Wayman NOT smiling......

The guy had the filthiest, nastiest turn around jumper ever, with the sofest touch for a post player. He was totally unstoppable on the low block, and he was strong enough to get position whenever and wherever he wanted it. Teams use to put 3 people around him for an entire game, and he would still get 20+, with minimal support.

I had just moved back to Oklahoma during the summer before his final season at OU. I couldn't wait to get to see him play in person for most of his home games.

There was one with Southwestern University - Billy Tubbs' alma mater from Georgetown, Texas - that was a true Wayman highlight show. He scored 36 points in the first half and finished with 55. This one play in particular stood out. He was dribbling around near the corner, with OU way ahead, and was triple-teamed. He took a turn-around, fade-away jumper from what would have been three-point range (had there been the "trey" in college basketball in '84-85) and hit nothing but net.

No doubt. The shot over KM to beat La Tech. One of the greatest games ever.

Eating dinner with him and his family as we welcomed him to our neighbor hood. You would have never thought he played in the NBA with how humble he was.

I am devestated.

I watch him score 64 against UTSA. Watching the game you didn't realize it was happening. He was not being a ball hog. He just took what came his way.

When I was in school at ORU, we had a lot of heated summer pick up games involving a lot of ex-Tulsa area college and pro players. Players like John Starks, Richard Dumas, Lee Mayberry, Melvin Gilliam, etc. A lot of people came through there, there were always some who thought they were better than everyone else. A lot of guys who never had one millionth of the success that Tis did, but yet Wayman never acted that way. Still the strongest dude I've ever seen on a basketball court.

I have fond memories of Wayman taking on Karl Malone and Louisiana Tech. I'll never forget what a great game that was. Did we hit overtime in that one? I have many memories of him.

My favorite player moment was a dunk over Greg Dreiling while playing KU. Dreiling was being allowed to try to push WT out of the paint most of the half and WT had just about enough of that business. He was vigorously calling for the ball and when he received it he jumped straight up with his back to the goal, spun near the top of the jump and threw down a wicked 1 hand tomahawk over Dreiling ... and then smiled really big. It was sweet.

I have fond memories of Wayman taking on Karl Malone and Louisiana Tech. I'll never forget what a great game that was. Did we hit overtime in that one? I have many memories of him.

That game is on ESPN Classic tonight at 7.

He could catch the ball, elevate, turn and softly shoot so fast that the defender never had a chance.

Does anyone remember the Candid Camera episode he was on. He and another Phoenix Sun were at an open house that was for sale and they walked in on a couple rolling around under the covers. Wayman had the most comical shocked expression and then started laughing like mad. I loved it.

I got him to autograph the Tisdale Towel they handed out at the game they retired his jersey later that night at Benvenuti's. He was sweet and gracious.

Does anyone remember the Candid Camera episode he was on. He and another Phoenix Sun were at an open house that was for sale and they walked in on a couple rolling around under the covers. Wayman had the most comical shocked expression and then started laughing like mad. I loved it.

I got him to autograph the Tisdale Towel they handed out at the game they retired his jersey later that night at Benvenuti's. He was sweet and gracious.

I would have liked to have seen that.

For those that were at OU around the same time as Wayman, what kind of following did he have with the student body?

The smile for almost every minute he was on the floor.

The smile for almost every minute he was on the floor.

I always thought Gilbert reminded me of Wayman in that regard. I love guys like that as they are easy to root for.

I've tried to explain my fondest memories of WWT to my kids and friends of mine who moved here from Cali a couple of years ago (they are now die-hard OU fans). I even explain that, as great as Blake is/has been, his accomplishments are dwarfed by what I vividly remember of WWT. He didn't have to wait a year to develop...the guy was a stud from day one.

One I will bring up, though, is the All-College game against Karl Malone and La Tech. OU was butchering them pretty good and at one point WWT was bringing the ball up the court. I know this is pretty normal now, but "back in the day" is was highly unusual. The crowd was going nuts and WWT was smiling from ear to ear...

The students were pretty into basketball during the Waymon years. There was a large group of fanatics, my sister was one of them and they would be standing in line when the doors opened to get the best seats. If you wanted to sit down low you had to be there early. No students on the floor then. The rowdiest sat pretty much behind the band and they gave the other teams fits.

I remember the Tisdale years well. I was living in Guthrie at the time. However, my favorite memory of Wayman was at a concert. He was performing with Dave Koz, and Jonathan Butler. During one of the songs he was jamming so hard he spun around, threw the bass over his head and without missing a note, kept jamming with his back to the audience.

Now, someone once told me that they have seen many bass players who could do that. However, how many of those bass players were 6'9" giants with tons of muscle. To see him move that smoothly and gracefully and not miss a single beat was truly amazing.

I was sitting at the hotel bar waiting for the concert to open the doors, when I saw Wayman come down. He was surrounded by his people, but he was fairly close to me. So I hollered BOOMER loud enough for him to hear. He heard and responded SOONER. He spoke to me and we enjoyed a couple of minutes talking about our beloved Sooners. Then he had to go.

That is my favorite Tisdale moment. Not a basketball one, but one that I'll always remember.

Back