Frank Martin is a keeper - Congrat.'s KSU

McDermott is the clear worst coach in the Big 12 IMO.

After him, it's probably Knight.

Those are the only two guys who I'd really consider bad coaches at this point (if you can separate coaching and recruiting).

Would give McDermott a little breathing room though considering he's had top players bolt early transferring to other schools or going overseas (Staiger sp? this year). Wesley Johnson is a former ISU player that is lighting it up at Syracuse now. The name slips my mind but he's had a third as well. Sadler is doing the worst now. At least ISU has popped them at least once this season....and did it in Lincoln. Would put Pat Knight up their for contention as well.

For those going to the OKC sub...

Get ready for a Sunflower state invasion. Probably will be Hawks & Cats...

Would give McDermott a little breathing room though considering he's had top players bolt early transferring to other schools or going overseas (Staiger sp? this year). Wesley Johnson is a former ISU player that is lighting it up at Syracuse now. The name slips my mind but he's had a third as well. Sadler is doing the worst now. At least ISU has popped them at least once this season....and did it in Lincoln. Would put Pat Knight up their for contention as well.

I consider Sadler a good coach who is a horrible recruiter (and really... who could recruit basketball talent to Nebraska?).

McDermott has lost a few guys (Taggart left for Memphis also). But Taggart was brought in by Wayne Morgan, and Johnson came to Iowa State because of an assistant McDermott hired (and left after that assistant left). Staiger leaving mid-season was a blow... but let's be real here... it was Lucca Staiger. All the guy did was shoot threes (113 of 120 field goal attempts prior to leaving were threes). He was a role player. He happened to be exceptional at one thing... but one thing only. Losing Lucca Staiger isn't why Iowa State sucks.

McDermott has actually had some talent. He's just done absolutely nothing with it. Sadler was at least 8-8 last year (with no talent on his roster). McDermott's never won more than 6 conference games. His teams have actually been progressively worse since he took over, going from 6 wins to 4, to 4, and now sitting at 2 (and likely to finish with just 3).

I could be wrong, but Nee only had three All-Conference players in his entire 15 year stint at Nebraska (Piatkowski, Lue and Venson Hamilton).

He was better than what they've had, maybe... but still not that great (and Nebraska was a HUGE national name at the time because of their football success, which had to have helped).

he brought at least seven players to nu that made it to the nba. i could definitely be forgetting someone too. he did pretty well.

king, piatkowski, strickland, ffriend, moore, lue, hamilton.

for every uk there are five ou, unc, uf (last couple years), etc.

Exactly, UK is a rarity... They picked up arguably the best recruiting class in NCAA history.

Normally teams dominated with youth don't play that great.

Exactly, UK is a rarity... They picked up arguably the best recruiting class in NCAA history.

Normally teams dominated with youth don't play that great.

Yep, people around here severely overrated OU's recruiting class. TMG and Gallon were big time recruits but Fitz and Pledger needed some time.

Yep, people around here severely overrated OU's recruiting class. TMG and Gallon were big time recruits but Fitz and Pledger needed some time.

OU's recruiting class was/is great. That is not remotely the problem. The problem is that OU has no choice but to play all four guys because OU has 3 other guys on the team that Capel trusts.

If Wright, Willis, Crocker, WW and Davis had all beaten out the freshman to start the year and then the freshman had the exact same seasons, people would love this class.

Pledger has been the worst of the four and even Pledger has had some games that make you believe he will be a contributor at OU.

OU's recruiting class was/is great. That is not remotely the problem. The problem is that OU has no choice but to play all four guys because OU has 3 other guys on the team that Capel trusts.

If Wright, Willis, Crocker, WW and Davis had all beaten out the freshman to start the year and then the freshman had the exact same seasons, people would love this class.

Pledger has been the worst of the four and even Pledger has had some games that make you believe he will be a contributor at OU.

I'm not saying it wasn't great, but people around here were acting like it was the Fab 4. As good as TMG and Tiny have been as freshman, and they have both been pretty good, they aren't Blake Griffin level players and aren't instant program changers. This class reminds me a lot of the one that built the core of a championship team at KU (Jackson, Robinson, Kaun). They aren't good enough to carry your program right away but in 2-3 years you could be looking at a Final Four if you continue to recruit at a high level.

I'm not saying it wasn't great, but people around here were acting like it was the Fab 4. As good as TMG and Tiny have been as freshman, and they have both been pretty good, they aren't Blake Griffin level players and aren't instant program changers. This class reminds me a lot of the one that built the core of a championship team at KU (Jackson, Robinson, Kaun). They aren't good enough to carry your program right away but in 2-3 years you could be looking at a Final Four if you continue to recruit at a high level.

What do you care if we were acting like it was the fab 4? This was our best recruiting class with 2 MCAA's. Please troll on the MU board.

What do you care if we were acting like it was the fab 4? This was our best recruiting class with 2 MCAA's. Please troll on the MU board.

LOL. I don't care. Just speaking the truth in regards to what someone else posted on this thread. You might try to do the same. You calling me a troll is the pot calling the kettle black. :eddie187_jpg_xs:

LOL. I don't care. Just speaking the truth in regards to what someone else posted on this thread. You might try to do the same. You calling me a troll is the pot calling the kettle black. :eddie187_jpg_xs:

Really I don't cruise another team's yard playing hall monitor and poking the other team's fans in the eye with clever comments. I spend all my time in my own yard.

Buttermaker vs. Grace and Cheno.

Nope I am done I don't have time for this however I will always defend and support fellow Sooners against trolls from other schools. I wish more Sooner fans would stand up for our players.

Buttermaker vs. Grace and Cheno.

Cage match. :)

Back to the thread, Martin has done a terrific job. I'm interested to see how some of his younger guards develop like McGruder.

For KSU fans, who are the guys that will be replacing Pullen and Clemente after they are gone. It just shows how important good guard play is in college basketball.

Back