Frank Martin, Scott Drew & Pat Knight

bocabull

Banned
Reaction score
Who wouldn't hire them over what's his name at Nebraska 7 days a week and twice on Sunday?

i think sadler could be successful at a lot of schools. i'm just not sure nu is one of them.

but, i agree that martin is much better.

I've said for awhile now Frank Martin is a really under-rated coach, at least on this board. He may not be John Wooden, but I don't think he's the clown a lot of people make him out to be.

Why do people not like him? He has done a pretty good job at KSU. Much better than Drew at Baylor.

A. 99% of the coaches wouldn't and more importantly couldn't admit it, but all of them would take Sadler (guy at NU) over Drew.
B. Sadler is a great basketball mind, and better person, he just needs a better situation than Nebraska.
C. How can you start a thread like this when you don't even know the guys name?
D. What in the world has Pat Knight or Scott Drew done for you to admire their talents other than finish around or under .500

I don't post a lot but other than the possibility of the Frank Martin portion of the title that is a ridiculous and un-basketball-educated comment. But if I remember right you're the same guy that thinks Kentucky is the best team in the country come March.

I understand you can come back with Doc's record is no better than the other guys, but it kind of goes in circles from there cause other than Martin all are around .500. If you get the chance sometime ask Coach Capel who he would pick as his choice to start a program.

Tech is a better program than Nebraska, and Pat had his dad (one of the best coaches ever) come in and make it a reasonably good situation. That is not to say Pat is not doing a fine job this year, but he did not do a fine job last year.

Scott Drew and his staff are great recruiters, but so far that is all I have seen from them.

Frank Martin is a good coach and a great recruiter. He is a top 5 coach in the Big 12, IMO. He landed some blockbusters because of connections and most of his high profile guys are "connections".

As for Doc Sadler at Nebraska, I think he is a very good coach at one of the two worst places for hoops in the Big 12. Colorado and Nebraska are the worst basketball jobs in the conference. The state of Nebraska produces about 0.5 division 1 players every year, and its not like the neighboring states produce a whole lot. Doc has to go and sell Nebraska to kids who have probably never seen Nebraska play a game before.

Doc has 2 guys on roster from "Big 12 country" (Texas and Kansas), and 3 from other countries. The rest are guys from all over the country.

Pat Knight on the other hand has Roberson (Texas), Singletary (Texas), Okorie (Texas), Ray (Texas), Tairu (Texas), Roberts (Texas), Davis (Texas), Crockett (New Mexico), Jenkins (Mississippi), Lewandowski (Texas), Reese (Florida).

Doc is going to have a good team next year... They got unlucky with Niemann (starting center) went down with injury and Standhardinger (starting power forward and best player) was ruled ineligible until January 1st.

Nebraska finished .500 in conference for the first time in a decade under Sadler. He is the first coach at Nebraska to take them to 2 post-season appearances in 3 years. He went 27-8 his last year at UTEP and won the WAC championship. He won 21 games before that and set a C-USA record for defense.

At one time or another Frank Martin, Scott Drew and Pat Knight have all been called the "worst coaches in the conference" by numerous posters. While Doc Sadler (of course I know his name) has been proclaimed as the greatness by same posters.

The point is that if Doc Sadler was so great he would not be at Nebraska. The other coaches are better, have better jobs and better teams.

I'd probably take Martin over Sadler, but I like Sadler more than the other two.

The point of my post was that maybe people should use restraint instead of labeling somebody the "worst coach in the conference" in their first year or two.

Last edited:
Back