Future of Moser

inoref

Reaction score
If OU fails to reach the NCAA tourney will Moser be let go??
I heard he wants out of Norman anyway, I don't know if that is true or not

What is this wanting out of Norman crap? Didn't someone earlier say(maybe Coachtalk?) he was pursuing other jobs or something in the off season? If it's true, how in the world can it be expected that he is giving it his all in recruiting or really anything else? That's not fair to the players, the fans, or anyone. I mean who knows if it's true, but if it is, it's ridiculous. Get his * out of here.

He needs a roster that stays together and grows another year. He's basically had to completely reset the rosters his first 3 years here. This one shows promise and hopefully we can add to it next year and keep most of it together. You gotta give him another year. But still gotta finish off this year first.

He needs a roster that stays together and grows another year. He's basically had to completely reset the rosters his first 3 years here. This one shows promise and hopefully we can add to it next year and keep most of it together. You gotta give him another year. But still gotta finish off this year first.
You could play this game forever. Every coach has to either rerecruit his roster each year, or be able to win with a new roster. Porter Moser hasn’t been in any different position than 300+ other coaches. His own league has now seen at least three programs pull almost instant turnarounds. And who is to say he will manage to keep this roster together, anyway? The far more likely outcome is that at least a couple critical pieces leave after the season. If so, will he then deserve a fifth year?

Oklahoma should never go three years in a row without making the tourney. If that happens, Joe should pray he wants to return to Chicago and coach a terrible DePaul program. If not, he needs to pull the plug.

He needs a roster that stays together and grows another year. He's basically had to completely reset the rosters his first 3 years here. This one shows promise and hopefully we can add to it next year and keep most of it together. You gotta give him another year. But still gotta finish off this year
If it was 2014 I would absolutely agree with this. But the problem is each player is 50/50 on whether they will stay or go. Is he a good enough coach to put together a new roster year to year and have success? Some coaches can do it but I’m just not convinced he can yet.

You could play this game forever. Every coach has to either rerecruit his roster each year, or be able to win with a new roster. Porter Moser hasn’t been in any different position than 300+ other coaches. His own league has now seen at least three programs pull almost instant turnarounds. And who is to say he will manage to keep this roster together, anyway? The far more likely outcome is that at least a couple critical pieces leave after the season. If so, will he then deserve a fifth year?

Oklahoma should never go three years in a row without making the tourney. If that happens, Joe should pray he wants to return to Chicago and coach a terrible DePaul program. If not, he needs to pull the plug.
I agree here. Three years is long enough in today’s game. I do not want him to be fired but making the tournament atleast once in three years is a reasonable expectation for OU basketball.

Is the SEC weaker than the Big 12? Yes. But it’s not an easy conference by any means at all. OU will still need the best coach they can get to be successful there.

DePaul would be a great fit for Moser. Mid major Private Catholic school in Chicago. He’s perfect for it.
Yeah but DePaul is in awful shape right now. I can’t imagine he wants to jump into a complete rebuild like that unless he just hates Norman or the university.

Yeah but DePaul is in awful shape right now. I can’t imagine he wants to jump into a complete rebuild like that unless he just hates Norman or the university.
Loyola was bad before moser, similar to DePaul. A private Catholic in Chicago might be his dream job.

Loyola was bad before moser, similar to DePaul. A private Catholic in Chicago might be his dream job.
If he is not content in Norman--not that he thinks everything's perfect, of course; that would be a rare job indeed--but if he is not, at base, happy to be coaching at OU and is privately gazing with longing at other programs, he can't leave soon enough for me. All in or all out. I know this: I'm tired of hearing about--from him, that is--about how hard he's worked (especially the back-patting about trying to grow the attendance). That's the job. You're paid a ton and you darned well should be working hard. Give us results on the court that show how hard you're working--don't keep telling us.

That said, I still hold out hope that we're not in the early stages of another serious slide, that we're tourney bound and that next year could be even better. If we are in another major slide and if he really is imagining greener grass elsewhere, I hope he'll go find it just as soon as the final buzzer of the final game of this season sounds.

I think you have to give him one more year, regardless, for SEC play.

After that, if we go 0-4, I am all for a change.

If we miss the tournament after not having any bad losses, a tough Big12 schedule, and ranked as high as #11 in the AP, I will be absolutely shocked. (Just can't have any bad losses: OSU(x2)/KSU/UCF)

Just because you like another job doesn’t mean you aren’t giving your all. They are offering 2026 kids daily.

Everyone has a “home” Roy left Ku for unc.

He’s not a foot out the door guy.
Roy was one of the best coaches in history who spent 15 years at KU and left to go back to his alma mater, which is another of the bluest of blue bloods. DePaul is a terrible program and Porter has no ties to the school. If he is thinking about going there (I have no clue if he is), it is truly bizarre.

If we miss the tournament after not having any bad losses, a tough Big12 schedule, and ranked as high as #11 in the AP, I will be absolutely shocked. (Just can't have any bad losses: OSU(x2)/KSU/UCF)
We will lose to KSU, but I don’t think that in and of itself is a bad loss. But our problem won’t be bad losses. It will be a very bad record in quad one games, plus all the bad NET opponents dragging us down. I get your points, though I think the AP poll is irrelevant. The committee truly doesn’t factor that in at all. And I am worried about OSU. I could easily see them beating us once.

Moser needs to spend less time shadow boxing the crowd after wins over weak non conference opponents, going to frat houses high fiving frat boys.... and maybe have the team ready to play and beat a rival when you finally have the house packed. Every time he gets a good crowd for a big game, they lay an egg. OU fans argue about Lloyd Noble over and over and over. Does OU need a new arena? Yes. But I don't care if OU played in a cave. Start winning big games against rivals and others. Play consistently, have an identity, and be almost impossible to beat at home, and they will show. This is not rocket science.

If he is not content in Norman--not that he thinks everything's perfect, of course; that would be a rare job indeed--but if he is not, at base, happy to be coaching at OU and is privately gazing with longing at other programs, he can't leave soon enough for me. All in or all out. I know this: I'm tired of hearing about--from him, that is--about how hard he's worked (especially the back-patting about trying to grow the attendance). That's the job. You're paid a ton and you darned well should be working hard. Give us results on the court that show how hard you're working--don't keep telling us.

That said, I still hold out hope that we're not in the early stages of another serious slide, that we're tourney bound and that next year could be even better. If we are in another major slide and if he really is imagining greener grass elsewhere, I hope he'll go find it just as soon as the final buzzer of the final game of this season sounds.
I wish his dumb quote was about how "he's coached his ass off with the team"...

Meh. If he doesnt make it then hes the unequivocal worst coach at ou on my lifetime and needs to be promoted to fan attendance allstar promoter permanently

Moser needs to spend less time shadow boxing the crowd after wins over weak non conference opponents, going to frat houses high fiving frat boys.... and maybe have the team ready to play and beat a rival when you finally have the house packed. Every time he gets a good crowd for a big game, they lay an egg. OU fans argue about Lloyd Noble over and over and over. Does OU need a new arena? Yes. But I don't care if OU played in a cave. Start winning big games against rivals and others. Play consistently, have an identity, and be almost impossible to beat at home, and they will show. This is not rocket science.
This is a silly argument. Tryign to drum up attention, something that has been lacking for years, is now a bad thing and taking away from game prep?

Back