Future of Moser

This is a silly argument. Tryign to drum up attention, something that has been lacking for years, is now a bad thing and taking away from game prep?
I don't think it's a bad thing-I think it's part of a coach's job. He hasn't done anything other coaches haven't done. They didn't just consistently pat themselves on the back over it and whine about the crowds.

I don't think it's a bad thing-I think it's part of a coach's job. He hasn't done anything other coaches haven't done. They didn't just consistently pat themselves on the back over it and whine about the crowds.
Yep, IIRC, LK also visited the frats pre-season 1:1, went to the Greek competition at the LNC, acknowledged great crowds in the media, offered free shuttles and free tickets to students, had games at MFH, had plans for a revamp LNC/tried to get a new arena, and started the whole visit to the student section by the players after the game. The difference was Kruger didn't tell everyone about it and say look at what I did.

Not demeaning the effort Moser has made- it's been great and his enthusiasm, energy, and vision are noticeable. But it is part of his job, especially where our program is at right now. Until we sustain success on the court- consistently- selling the program to the recruits, fans, and donors is going to be a daily/weekly requirement from the HC.

Ultimately, he'll be judged by donor $$ and success on the court, and it's Joe C to extrapolate what is the minimum needed. As a fan, NCAAs have to be the next step.

The difference was Kruger didn't tell everyone about it and say look at what I did.
That's because he wasn't that effective at it.
Yall are really nitpicking here. Reaching at anything to justify wanting PM fired. And this is pretty laughable.
From what I can tell, this season has been the best attendence and atmosphere that I can remember since the season of our final four run

That's because he wasn't that effective at it.
Yall are really nitpicking here. Reaching at anything to justify wanting PM fired. And this is pretty laughable.
From what I can tell, this season has been the best attendence and atmosphere that I can remember since the season of our final four run
LOL, if you think that's the only reason LK didn't go bragging to the media or pool report sessions about his efforts trying to increase attendance, then you didn't know LK.

And not at all trying to justify a change. I don't want PM fired, as I think his ability to sell the program and the progression (no huge bad losses, competitive in every game, etc) is a reason to let him play it out. Plus, I think he is recruiting HS talent at a higher level ("legally") than anyone since Billy Tubbs.

But sooner or later, the NCAAs HAS to be the measuring stick. Is it this year? IDK, as I think being in the first four out, with our schedule, along with the other improvements made might be sufficient in the eyes of the BMDs and Joe C. But missing the tourney cannot continue if you want to keep enthusiasm for the program.

As far as the best attendance and atmosphere, the LNC was rocking and sold out after December in Trae's year. Been a season ticket holder since Kelvin's FF and have seen the best/worst of attendance. We have a solid loyal 4-5K-ish fanbase & a ton of bandwagoners. The bandwagoners will come, regardless of the coach, when there is something to be excited about- record, opponent, or star talent. Been that way since Billy & who the coach is may help, but ultimately, it's the product on the floor that puts butts in the seats.

Last edited:
LOL, if you think that's the only reason LK didn't go bragging to the media or pool report sessions about his efforts trying to increase attendance, then you didn't know LK.

And not at all trying to justify a change. I don't want PM fired, as I think his ability to sell the program and the progression (no huge bad losses, competitive in every game, etc) is a reason to let him play it out. Plus, I think he is recruiting HS talent at a higher level ("legally") than anyone since Billy Tubbs.

But sooner or later, the NCAAs HAS to be the measuring stick. Is it this year? IDK, as I think being in the first four out, with our schedule, along with the other improvements made might be sufficient in the eyes of the BMDs and Joe C. But missing the tourney cannot continue if you want to keep enthusiasm for the program.

As far as the best attendance and atmosphere, the LNC was rocking and sold out after December in Trae's year. Been a season ticket holder since Kelvin's FF and have seen the best and worst of attendance. We have a solid loyal 3K fanbase and a ton of bandwagoners. Those fans will come, regardless of the coach, when there is something to be excited about- either record, opponent, or star talent. Been that way since Billy and who the coach imay help, but ultimately, it is the product on the floor that puts butts in the seat.
I'm on board with moving on if we miss the tournament again.
But to rail on PM for "bragging" about his efforts is just really odd.

I agree that attendance is mostly based on the team winning, except for students. They are a lot more fickle and the gimmicks and promotions are much needed for the students

Yep, IIRC, LK also visited the frats pre-season 1:1, went to the Greek competition at the LNC, acknowledged great crowds in the media, offered free shuttles and free tickets to students, had games at MFH, had plans for a revamp LNC/tried to get a new arena, and started the whole visit to the student section by the players after the game. The difference was Kruger didn't tell everyone about it and say look at what I did.

Not demeaning the effort Moser has made- it's been great and his enthusiasm, energy, and vision are noticeable. But it is part of his job, especially where our program is at right now. Until we sustain success on the court- consistently- selling the program to the recruits, fans, and donors is going to be a daily/weekly requirement from the HC.

Ultimately, he'll be judged by donor $$ and success on the court, and it's Joe C to extrapolate what is the minimum needed. As a fan, NCAAs have to be the next step.
I think he has a vision as far as getting people invested in the program, but I still don't know what his vision is for the on-court product, which is the most important thing of all.

Message boards are a funny thing. Posters pick out one phrase out of a paragraph and focus on that, missing the point entirely, and the thread gets derailed. People just like to argue.

Moser has failed so far. He hasn’t met the minimum for the job and from where I’m sitting, he doesn’t really understand the OU job and it shows. If OU misses the ncaa tourney again, he should be fired immediately. No question.

Loyola was bad before moser, similar to DePaul.

DePaul would be a great fit for Moser. Mid major Private Catholic school in Chicago. He’s perfect for it.
DePaul is a mid major program in a high major conference. Not sure if anyone can bring them back, but I'm sure Porter would like to try.

If he has a chance to go back to Chicago, and the $6M buyout can be paid or negotiated, he's gone.

This thread is headed to exactly where i thought it was headed... so you think a coach sacrfices game prep by drumming up support?

Give me a break... I heard he eats breakfast lunch and dinner... FIRE HIS A$$

This thread is headed to exactly where i thought it was headed... so you think a coach sacrfices game prep by drumming up support?

Give me a break... I heard he eats breakfast lunch and dinner... FIRE HIS A$$
Yep, funny with PM's energy that anyone would say he's not giving enough effort into anything. The dude clearly is passionate about anything and everything he does.

Doesn't mean he always pulls the right strings or makes the perfect decision, but odd people may question his effort or accuse him of slacking.

But I predicted it on TOS before the season. Moser could have the team playing better, improve attendance, increase enthusiasm with the donor base, be more competitive, have a deeper, more talented roster, and continue to recruit HS talent at a high clip, but.... with our conference and schedule, have an unhappy fan "base" still calling for his job depending on post-season selection. By all other measurements, he has the program on the right track. The reality is this program and roster can be better than at any point in the last 2-4 years, and still possibly miss the NCAAs. I agree that NCAAs should ultimately be the minimum, but can't ignore all other progress he's achieved.

With a support and "fanbase" like we have, easy to see why we're having a tough time getting over the hump.

I understand what you guys mean when you speak of bad losses. I do and I don't disagree with the logic of it. But as a fan who's suffered through two rough seasons and was thoroughly enjoying the ride this season, the texas game was a bad loss. I know the committee won't view it that way (barring some major collapse by texas), but it was a bad, bad loss. And then to follow it by another home loss--and yes, I understand that loss, too, wasn't a bad loss by the committees' definition. That's rough. And when you have a fan base that's endured the past two seasons, they're going to take those two losses hard. We've spent the past two seasons (more than that if you include Kruger's last seasons), saying things like "Hey, a one-point loss to a top 20 team is not a bad loss." I've said them myself (more under Kruger, who had earned my loyalty, than Coach Moser, who hasn't yet). But after the past two seasons and with Coach Moser's dismal (to put it mildly) records against our top hoops rivals, fans are going to (over)react to consecutive home losses--they just are. Especially when the first of the two is a non-competitive loss to our biggest rival, a team that is certainly not better than OU is.

The season's far from over and this lousy week will be forgotten if the team finds its spark again. I'm holding out hope that will happen. But we entered last week on a high with a chance to really set ourselves up for a successful season. It was right there in front of us, and we blew it. After the past two seasons, fans are going to feel despondent--that's just human nature. I cringe at some of the posts that I view as overreactions, but I understand the impulse behind them.

Yep, funny with PM's energy that anyone would say he's not giving enough effort into anything. The dude clearly is passionate about anything and everything he does.

Doesn't mean he always pulls the right strings or makes the perfect decision, but odd people may question his effort or accuse him of slacking.

But I predicted it on TOS before the season. Moser could have the team playing better, improve attendance, increase enthusiasm with the donor base, be more competitive, have a deeper, more talented roster, and continue to recruit HS talent at a high clip, but.... with our conference and schedule, have an unhappy fan "base" still calling for his job depending on post-season selection. By all other measurements, he has the program on the right track. The reality is this program and roster can be better than at any point in the last 2-4 years, and still possibly miss the NCAAs. I agree that NCAAs should ultimately be the minimum, but can't ignore all other progress he's achieved.

With a support and "fanbase" like we have, easy to see why we're having a tough time getting over the hump.
If, on the day Lon retired three years ago shortly after giving the top ranked team in the country a legit game in round two of the tourney, someone had said the new coach would not make the tourney in his first two years, have a losing record in year two and finish at the bottom of the league, produce a team that annually ranks near the bottom of the country in turnovers, be 1-9 against the two main rivals, and, in year three, likely have to fight down the stretch to make the tourney, would you have said that the program is making progress under that man? As for the high school talent: Oweh and Los have been nice players. No other high school kid he has recruited has accomplished anything (partially because he won't play Cooper). Are we really hanging our hat on his HS recruiting? It's not like he has brought in any NBA talent that makes you think he is a truly elite recruiter.

The deeper we get into this season, the more it looks just like last year, albeit with more athletic players making the same kind of mistakes. Coaching is holding us back.

I understand what you guys mean when you speak of bad losses. I do and I don't disagree with the logic of it. But as a fan who's suffered through two rough seasons and was thoroughly enjoying the ride this season, the texas game was a bad loss. I know the committee won't view it that way (barring some major collapse by texas), but it was a bad, bad loss. And then to follow it by another home loss--and yes, I understand that loss, too, wasn't a bad loss by the committees' definition. That's rough. And when you have a fan base that's endured the past two seasons, they're going to take those two losses hard. We've spent the past two seasons (more than that if you include Kruger's last seasons), saying things like "Hey, a one-point loss to a top 20 team is not a bad loss." I've said them myself (more under Kruger, who had earned my loyalty, than Coach Moser, who hasn't yet). But after the past two seasons and with Coach Moser's dismal (to put it mildly) records against our top hoops rivals, fans are going to (over)react to consecutive home losses--they just are. Especially when the first of the two is a non-competitive loss to our biggest rival, a team that is certainly not better than OU is.

The season's far from over and this lousy week will be forgotten if the team finds its spark again. I'm holding out hope that will happen. But we entered last week on a high with a chance to really set ourselves up for a successful season. It was right there in front of us, and we blew it. After the past two seasons, fans are going to feel despondent--that's just human nature. I cringe at some of the posts that I view as overreactions, but I understand the impulse behind them.
Agree with everything here except that texas is certainly not better than OU is

If OU does not make the NCAA Tournament this year, it is very safe to say that Porter Moser goes to the hot seat - and he knows that. As such, as bad a program as DePaul is, the clock gets reset if he leaves. He would likely jump on that in a heartbeat. We also have to remember the first 3-4 years of Kelvin Sampson's OU tenure. The guy was interviewing EVERYWHERE, or so it seemed. Heck, he interviewed at TEXAS once Penders left. He eventually settled in at OU, but it wasn't love at first sight, that's for sure. If OU makes the Dance this year, perhaps that will help Moser want to settle in Norman for awhile.

If OU does not make the NCAA Tournament this year, it is very safe to say that Porter Moser goes to the hot seat - and he knows that. As such, as bad a program as DePaul is, the clock gets reset if he leaves. He would likely jump on that in a heartbeat. We also have to remember the first 3-4 years of Kelvin Sampson's OU tenure. The guy was interviewing EVERYWHERE, or so it seemed. Heck, he interviewed at TEXAS once Penders left. He eventually settled in at OU, but it wasn't love at first sight, that's for sure. If OU makes the Dance this year, perhaps that will help Moser want to settle in Norman for awhile.

Chicago is home. Depaul is going to pay about $1mil more than OU... reportedly.

Chicago is home. Depaul is going to pay about $1mil more than OU... reportedly.
IF porter makes a run this year and makes the Dance and maybe the second weekend ... I would be more worried about him going to Louisville ..

if OU doesn't make the dance .. then by all means go "home" but either way OU could pay what ever they need to keep him ..

I don’t think OU as a program is in a position to start hiring coaches who are just happy to be here. Most programs who get fed up with guys leaving or looking to leave regret hiring the guy who is happy to be there. Kind of like Tulsa hiring Phillips.

Whether Porter still wants to be here, he’s been recruiting well and is trying to succeed here. If he leaves, I’m sure there will be defections…but that’s college basketball these days whether he stays or leaves.

Back