Great Capel Article on OU Blog

I love the Sampson-era players and teams. I'm happy for the success we have had. I think Sampson was an good coach and won a lot of games where we were overmatched (he also lost a lot we shouldn't have). But as an individual, I don't respect him.

What he did to our fan base still hasn't been rectified. In the '80s and early parts of Sampson's career, LNC was a very loud and tough place to play. I still remember in Sampson's first year we went 15-0 at home. The fans rushed the floor three or four times that year. It was loud and crazy. Every year, the fan support decreased. Many like to blame it on Sampson's offense and failure to win big games, but I disagree. We had some big wins and some very exciting games. I blame it on Sampson's alienation of the fan support with his arrogance. Many a season ticketholder have told me that they just couldn't cheer for the guy, which is sad but true.

P.S. There were four aspects of Sampson's coaching that were horrible. One, in-bounds plays offer superior scoring possibilities for set plays because the inbounder cannot be pressured. Yet Sampson routinely just called for the ball to be thrown into the back court. Two, Sampson could not coach a full-court press to save his life. Three, from day one, he couldn't get his guys to defend a backdoor cut. The worst of it being when Bogut and Utah basically scored every point in the NCAA tournament against us on backdoor cuts. How hard is it to tell a player, (a) a backdoor cut pass is almost always a bounce pass so your hand should be down toward the floor not up in the air and (b) if they take our center to the high post to set up the backdoor cut, sell out to stop the backdoor. No one shoots better than 45% from the three but almost everyone in college shoots above 99% on a layup. Four, (especially late in his career) he went to a one-on-one style game. It seemed to start with the clearing out for Nolan Johnson against OSU at GIA. He always relied on one guy to be the man (e.g., Minor, Erdman, Brewer, Najera, and N. Johnson). But he had no creativity to have team offenses.

One of the things that the people who created this board wanted to get away from was the Sampson wars. He's been gone for almost 4 years and we've had a National POY and an Elite 8 appearance since he left. It's time to drop it.

MPS --

My post was in response to this comment, "I still don't understand why people have to put down Kelvin Sampson in order to raise up Jeff Capel." I was just giving an explanation on why people are still bitter with Sampson.

"One of the things that the people who created this board wanted to get away from was the Sampson wars. He's been gone for almost 4 years and we've had a National POY and an Elite 8 appearance since he left. It's time to drop it."

I don't think this should lessen the blow or the memory of Sampson. If your parents gave you dog[__] for your birthday every year and then bought you a car for your 16th birthday, would you be like, "I have great parents." No you would still be pissed about all the other years.

MPS --

My post was in response to this comment, "I still don't understand why people have to put down Kelvin Sampson in order to raise up Jeff Capel." I was just giving an explanation on why people are still bitter with Sampson.

"One of the things that the people who created this board wanted to get away from was the Sampson wars. He's been gone for almost 4 years and we've had a National POY and an Elite 8 appearance since he left. It's time to drop it."

I don't think this should lessen the blow or the memory of Sampson. If your parents gave you dog[__] for your birthday every year and then bought you a car for your 16th birthday, would you be like, "I have great parents." No you would still be pissed about all the other years.

It's all about timing. We suffered through John Blake for 3 years, which many thought was too long. But, the timing when he was finally fired was perfect and we were able to get Stoops. One or two or three years earlier, Capel wouldn't have been ready for the OU job. That's the way it works sometimes. Life is too short to dwell on the bad stuff - no matter what your parents gave you for your birthday.

One of the things that the people who created this board wanted to get away from was the Sampson wars. He's been gone for almost 4 years and we've had a National POY and an Elite 8 appearance since he left. It's time to drop it.

There is no Sampson war, where is the war in this thread? Sampson left us holding 577 improper phone calls, NCAA Nazi's and little talent. Sure he had great years but he didn't play by the rules. The article is spot on whats the issue?

"While Sooner fans were worried about OU’s zone blocking scheme and inability to punch it in from the one yard line against Baylor and UT Capel was and still is in a head to head battle with UNC and Duke for the number 1 ranked player in the Country, Harrison Barnes a 6-7 small forward from Ames, IA. Many experts believe he is headed to OU, his visit during the Baylor weekend was off the charts."

I thought Barnes visited on the weekend of the Miami game with Doron Lamb. Did he make another visit? Also, which experts believe he is headed to OU?

MPS --

The article states facts and gives Sampson credit for 3 conference championships in 12 years and a final 4, thats great. The 577 improper phone calls, ncaa Nazi Party and leaving little talent as he exits stage left is not.

His cheating did force Stoops hand with Bomar and did cost us a national championship shot.

Content aside, that writer is in dire need of an editor. Oof.

Back