Greg Paulus to Nebraska?

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
from floor slapping to butt patting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4108746

Former Duke point guard Greg Paulus was impressed after two days of meetings with Syracuse football coaches and staffers, but he has decided to visit with Nebraska's football program on Thursday, a person familiar with the process said Tuesday.

Paulus, a former two-sport All-American, is still very strongly considering resuming his football career with one season at Syracuse, but he doesn't want to regret not exploring all his options, another person familiar with Paulus said.

Last week, a person familiar with the situation said that Paulus was 95 percent sure that he would be on a football roster next season. He has already met with members of the Michigan football program.

Paulus was a prolific quarterback at Christian Brothers Academy, near Syracuse, where he threw for 11,763 yards and 152 touchdowns in high school. He was courted by Notre Dame and Miami, among others, to play football. He is the older brother of Mike Paulus, a North Carolina quarterback.

Why would you want to ride the bench at Duke, and then do the same while playing football?

At Nebraska he would be one snap away from the starting position with their attrition at QB.

Yea, I'm not understanding this either. The kid hasn't played competitive football in 4+ years, and all the sudden he is going to compete for a starting job at some pretty decent football schools? I don't think so.

Fact is he probably should have tried to do this last year and give himself a good year under his belt. The smarter thing would be to go to a low major or even D2 school. Look at Bobby Reid, he was an All Conference guy at OSU and got beat out for PT at Texas Southern. But if someone is going to give him a scholarship then go for it. I don't know if Duke pays for his schooling or his future school does.

I'm just hoping this means a year of Paulus getting crushed in the backfield by Travis Lewis, R.J. Washington, Frank Alexander, Gus Jones, Ronnell Lewis, Keenan Clayton, Gerald McCoy, and anyone else who matches up against that subpar Nebraska O-line. That would be priceless.

Yea, I'm not understanding this either. The kid hasn't played competitive football in 4+ years, and all the sudden he is going to compete for a starting job at some pretty decent football schools? I don't think so.

Come on now, calling Syracuse competitive is a bit of stretch. I will neve forget Syracuse losing two games to OU in the down years. That school is a freaking joke.

Come on now, calling Syracuse competitive is a bit of stretch. I will neve forget Syracuse losing two games to OU in the down years. That school is a freaking joke.

Syracuse is a competitive football school. It's in the Big East and a solid program.

Syracuse is a competitive football school. It's in the Big East and a solid program.

Stick to basketball pal. Syracuse is no where near competitive, they just fired their coach and went 3-9 last year.

Stick to basketball pal. Syracuse is no where near competitive, they just fired their coach and went 3-9 last year.

:ez-roll:
It's still competitive football. It's the Big East for goodness sake. That's like saying going to Cincinnati to play basketball isn't competitive. It is. It's the Big East. Comments like these just make me chuckle when I think how people call KU basketball fans arrogant. OU football fans are the same way. Anybody who is below them is chopped liver.
If you are playing football at Syracuse you are playing in one of the most competitive leagues in the country. You are having to play at a very high level. I don't see Paulus being able to do it. He should go down a level. That is what TU was saying. Nobody say Syracuse was a competitive team. The level they play at is very competitive. To argue the Big East isn't competitive football is silly. Just because your not top 5 in football like OU is every year doesn't mean the rest of college football stinks.

Would you consider Kansas a competive football team before Mangino started this little run a while back?

it's not competitive if you aren't puttin up a fight. so you're saying duke is a competitive football school as well??

Would you consider Kansas a competive football team before Mangino started this little run a while back?

Sure. It's in the Big 12 and you need to be a pretty good football player to get run at any Big 12 school. Teams/programs have cycles. I remember watching KU beat OU pre-Mangino. Glen Mason had some really good teams. In fact he beat OU pretty regularly. In fact in the entire decade of the '90's KU beat OU as much as OU beat KU. Are you saying OU isn't a competitive football program? Syracuse has had some pretty good teams over the years.

it's not competitive if you aren't puttin up a fight. so you're saying duke is a competitive football school as well??
Duke just joined the ranks of major conference football in the last few years I believe. But yes, to be playing in the ACC you have to have players. Duke beat Virginia and Vanderbilt last year. Is Virginia not a competitive football program?

Again, I'm not saying great elite programs by any stretch but you need to be a pretty darn good football player to play in the elite conferences.

Last edited:
Playing in a competitive conference does not make a team competitive. Your argument does not make sense.

PS Duke was a charter member of the ACC. Duke was a co-champion with Maryland in the inaugural season of 1953.

Yea, they suck. *rolleyes*

I didn't say they were great, and a certainly didn't say anything about the last couple of seasons. That said:

The Syracuse Orange football program is a college football team that represents Syracuse University as a member of the Big East Conference, which is a Division I Bowl Subdivision of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Doug Marrone, former offensive coordinator for the NFL's New Orleans Saints, is the head coach.[1]

The Syracuse University football program is also renowned for producing many All-Americans and College as well as Professional Football Hall of Famers. Among them are Ernie, Davis, Jim Brown, Larry Csonka, Joe Morris, Art Monk, Jim Ringo, John Mackey, and Floyd Little. Among the current NFL Players are stars such as All-Pro Defensive End Dwight Freeney, All-Pro Quarterback Donovan McNabb, and All-Pro Wide Receiver Marvin Harrison.

Paulus would not be competing against Donovan McNabb for the starting job. Greg Robinson was a bad coach and a bad recruiter. Paulus is just as likely to beat out the scrubs that are currently disgracing the historic tradition of Syracuse, as he is to get the start at Sam Houston St.

Paulus would not be competing against Donovan McNabb for the starting job. Greg Robinson was a bad coach and a bad recruiter. Paulus is just as likely to beat out the scrubs that are currently disgracing the historic tradition of Syracuse, as he is to get the start at Sam Houston St.

He isn't going to start at Michigan, Nebraska, OR Syracuse.

Why would 'Cuse, in a rebuilding state, start a QB that hasn't played the game in 4+ years, AND only has one year of eligibility left? Answer: They won't.

He isn't going to start at Michigan, Nebraska, OR Syracuse.

Why would 'Cuse, in a rebuilding state, start a QB that hasn't played the game in 4+ years, AND only has one year of eligibility left? Answer: They won't.

Syracuse would, if it generates buzz for the program. Syracuse has fallen off the face of the earth over the last four years. Anything that gives the program media attention is a good thing. Paulus is a local legend. If he is still talented enough to do it, they will give him every opportunity to start. It would buy the new coach time to get his own guy ready to start in year two.

Back